Help secure the future of our club.

Derwent Park SC

Just now, Alineden said:

Says a lot, but doesn't tell us much. If the club has to beg for support to finish this season, what streams of income does it have during the winter months to enable it to start next season?

Yep, it’s a lot of words but mostly corporate-speak generic stuff.

Seems to suggest that they inherited a financial mess from the previous chairman/board that took a while to rear its head and they’ve only just got to the bottom of it. I’m stunned by the statement that the board are going to be involved in signing players and negotiation of their wages - WTF was happening previously ? That should be something the board had control of as a matter of course.

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

23 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Yep, it’s a lot of words but mostly corporate-speak generic stuff.

Seems to suggest that they inherited a financial mess from the previous chairman/board that took a while to rear its head and they’ve only just got to the bottom of it. I’m stunned by the statement that the board are going to be involved in signing players and negotiation of their wages - WTF was happening previously ? That should be something the board had control of as a matter of course.

At least they are communicating, thats a positive,  little concerned regarding recruitment and wage control, we have hardly signed any high end world beaters this season, squad is mainly what we had in league 1 so not sure about control etc. Tend to get what you pay for in my experience. However, I really hope thay get it right for sake of the club 

Edited by Onreport

1 hour ago, Alineden said:

Says a lot, but doesn't tell us much. If the club has to beg for support to finish this season, what streams of income does it have during the winter months to enable it to start next season?

Newcastle Thunder RL 'announce going part time'........hmmm interesting eh...so any 'Betts' regarding a coaching change in the pipeline???

• Like 1

Don't know about anyone else but I'm a bit underwhelmed with the latest statement. As has been said above it is a lot of words for not a lot of content. The first question answers are a bit baffling. You move up a league and wages etc go up, was this a shock to everyone that wasn't budgeted for?  They say forecasts were based on a sensible model, but how sensible was it if this is the outcome? I concede that nobody could forsee Russia causing the pain it has financially. But expecting steady or increased crowds when you are getting stuffed every week us just nuts. It also reads as though somebody who i assume is Chris has had free reign on recruitment and they are now pulling it back in, again that blows my mind. Kid in a sweet shop springs to mind. It sounds like the playing standard of the championship was severely underestimated.

The deep dive comment suggests nobody has previously had any handle on how the business is run. Why has this taken so long? It reads as though the club has just been taken over from a previous owner that was a charlatan and nobody was aware of how things were ran previously. Really?

Fair play to Chris & the players as they have taken the pay cut. And hopefully there is now a handle on the crisis but fork me I don't get a warm feeling about it at all. Hope I'm wrong.

We wanted some coms and now have it so fingers crossed rock bottom has been reached. UTT 

• Like 1

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

On 17/08/2022 at 20:27, Townie987 said:

Broughy you know who’s who down at the club. Why don’t you go and offer some assistance?

I have been in contact about a couple of things but if you pm me i will explain a couple of other  things, 

Edited by JMB

The latest statement says enough for me at this stage.

Reading between the lines the club have realised that they have issues across the board and are in the process of putting structures in place to try and mitigate this happening again.

The budgets/ playing contracts were done by the previous Chair and board, so let's give the new directors an opportunity to get their house in order and put everything in place for next season and beyond.

The most important paragraph was the appointment of someone with an accounting background, whether that's a board appointment or someone in the background to oversea things doesn't really matter, just as long as they are there !

I'm sure there will be a more open discussion once the season ends

UTT !!

Probably not a lot more they can say at this stage, pointing the finger of blame at anyone is no use at this stage just got to hope they can muddle through and regroup for next season, long term the club needs to be at the heart of the community,the new stadium seems to be something they are pinning their long term ambitions on so hopefully we will also see progress there

11 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

At least we now have an idea of the crowds this season.....

Up the Town- let's all take a mate down. 

My mates haven't spoken to me since the last time this happened...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

As feared in an earlier post ,and it is repeated twice in the statement to get the nessage across,  the gate money at the next two home games is vital to the survival of the club. But much more publicity is needed to overcome the negative attitudes and get people back? Get the chairman on border tv!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JMB said:

I have been in contact about a couple of things but if you pm me i will explain a couple of other  things, 

I went to DP ,on Wednesday, to purchase my ticket for Sunday. During this visit I has a good craic with a couple of staff.

I was quite surprised at how upbeat these guys were. I had expected to encounter massive doom and gloom. Not at all both were quite confident the 'mess' that was being attended to would become a successful venture. Albeit no quick fix is available. (quick fix can be fateful).

I was certainly happier than prior to this visit. And hopefully the club is in good hands now and will revive to become a force again.....UTT.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Including conference??

a return to winter would almost certainly see the end of Cockermouth, aspatria and Glasson who have all had an influx of RU players during the summer 

They can’t finish a season now,but returning to winter rugby is not the answer especially when we have a generation of young open age players who were brought up playing in summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, REX said:

As feared in an earlier post ,and it is repeated twice in the statement to get the nessage across,  the gate money at the next two home games is vital to the survival of the club. But much more publicity is needed to overcome the negative attitudes and get people back? Get the chairman on border tv!

Border tv not interested, you have to be from north of the border to get on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobg said:

Should tell them some bloke from Galashiels donated 2 quid to the club and they'll be round like a shot.

• Haha 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

On 19/08/2022 at 12:28, bobg said:

But I'm sure John Walsh and radio Cumbria would jump at the chance to get the word out, it seems they want to try and do it themselves, I'm sure more pr would help, 

I am sure the Club will note from this season that we need to look to other ways of bringng income to the Club .We cannot rely on gate money to see us though . Apart from the Derbies , Fev and Leigh , the away support at Derwent Park has been nothing short of abyssmal .Even Halifax and Batley currently 3rd and 4th in the table only brought around 20 fans each .The home support obviously dwindled due to performances .Also the farcical fixture list we were given didn`t help cash flow , I don`t know what happens now , but years ago a provissional fixture list was put out to the Clubs to approve or object to .We should have had someone hounding the RFL to alter ours and realistically they would have had to change some of the early fixtures around . Harsh lessons have been learnt , lets hope we can move forward and put the Club back on track .

• Like 3

I'm just pleased the club have issued a statement regarding our position. We all need to stick together and try and get our club through this. I'm struggling to get any of my floating Townie mates to attend today, and unfortunately most of the crowd I usually attend with can't make it today for various reasons. I will be there as usual, buying  more HT draw tickets than usual and a few more pints than normal. I've also donated after much deliberation, I love our club and would be devastated if we didn't exist.  UTT.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Unicorn 106 said:

I'm just pleased the club have issued a statement regarding our position. We all need to stick together and try and get our club through this. I'm struggling to get any of my floating Townie mates to attend today, and unfortunately most of the crowd I usually attend with can't make it today for various reasons. I will be there as usual, buying  more HT draw tickets than usual and a few more pints than normal. I've also donated after much deliberation, I love our club and would be devastated if we didn't exist.  UTT.

Well done "Eunuch" my bezzie, hope you get a win and a good gate.

Good Luck.

23 hours ago, Town utd said:

Can't believe the board never negotiated contracts,every club must have a budget,so what are the club going to do to retain players and sign new players for next season, hopefully there's a plan and budget in place?

I'm not naming anyone but the club have in my eyes a great guy who is doing budget's for the players etc. 

Hopefully we will still be going next season.

Unfortunately the Boards attempt to attract a big crowd through discounts and attractions does not seem to have worked but the mean estimate of crowd at 800 is perhaps better than what might have attended for the bottom 2 attraction.

Fortunately our amazing DPSC started the just giving page which has been well supported by our die hards and many other rugby club supporters and a £9360 may save the day.

Hopefully our neighbours will turn up in numbers to Lord over us, and we'll done to them That may bring in a decent crowd for our last game. UTT.