Can Rugby League in Rochdale and Oldham Survive?

jroyales

Anita Bath has provoked this site due to the dire position the Hornets are in which is very similar to our own position.

Is there a way out unless there is a millionaire out there to bale us out?

Or combine the two clubs?

Or just continue to fade away?

Or ...........................................

oldham will survive because it is ch.s only form of income.

you dont run a business for 25 years if you do not get a good return on you investment.

so as long as oldham get 300 to 400 gates and pay players low wages it will just carry on like it is..

Combine? like trying to merge christians and muslims.

Even fewer would go than at present. Two proud sets of fans  and what would happen to the banter?

We all look forward to playing each other …bragging rights is all we have left to play for in the super league era.

Rugby League without Hornets and Yeds is like pie without gravy.

• Like 3

A merger wouldn't work, fans at both clubs would go mental. Long term I am of the opinion that league 1 in general is in a pickle. There's no money and not enough people watching it. I fear for the Oldhams, Rochdales and Swintons of the game. The small clubs are getting smaller. I also think the admission prices are too high considering you can watch a superleague side for not much more. 

54 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Said this in the past that a new team could be called Oldham,Rochdale United Football Yonder Eastern Division. Or Oldham Rufyeds, for short. We'd play in red and white hoops, to represent Oldham, and blue shorts for Rochdale.

Never happen....less would support it

A new owner at Latics and the fans are coming back in their thousands, some buying season tickets just to support the cause, we can only dream of that day 😒😒

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Said this in the past that a new team could be called Oldham,Rochdale United Football Yonder Eastern Division. Or Oldham Rufyeds, for short. We'd play in red and white hoops, to represent Oldham, and blue shorts for Rochdale.

Yes, pie without gravy😊

5 hours ago, tandle said:

some good news ch as submitted the 2021 accounts on time. 

but just think ch as got a ring side view out of his front window

watching all the latics fans buying their season tickets

I'm a bit confused about the rumour we'll be back playing at BP next year,  if it is true ? then it must have been a decision made before the time of the sale to Frank Rothwell and so that would mean Frank and CH have been in discussions ?  

Edited by tub

7 minutes ago, tub said:

I'm a bit confused about the rumour we'll be back playing at BP next year,  if it is true ? then it must have been a decision made before the time of the sale to Frank Rothwell and so that would mean Frank and CH have been in discussions ?  

I believe that the purchase of the ground has yet to be finalised. So any deal concerning the yeds can't be ratified.

From what Frank Rothwell said in the MEN a couple of days ago I'd say it could be we are at BP next season 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-athletic-owner-rothwell-atlantic-24633406

They are looking to maximise the revenue the stadium can generate and based on the article I'd be surprised if discussions have not taken place already. 

Edited by tub
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, tub said:

From what Frank Rothwell said in the MEN a couple of days ago I'd say it could be we are at BP next season 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-athletic-owner-rothwell-atlantic-24633406

They are looking to maximise the revenue the stadium can generate and based on the article I'd be surprised if discussions have not taken place already. 

The initial signs are positive, I'm just waiting for our leader to lay some semtex (he's got plenty of it) under another bridge and we're back at Sh1tebank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Do we not need to have a team to represent us before we start dreaming of playing at Latics? I’ve never enjoyed playing at Latics but it’s preferable to Whitebank but we need a competitive team wherever we play.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Squire said:

Do we not need to have a team to represent us before we start dreaming of playing at Latics? I’ve never enjoyed playing at Latics but it’s preferable to Whitebank but we need a competitive team wherever we play.

Tried that loads of times. Just leads to up and down, up and down. We are now doing what should've been done years ago . Establish a base, a home. We've now got the training ground along with hollinwood arlfc. There's obvious potential for development there. We have, it seems, serious sponsors. Playing at BP will bring us closer to being home than we have in years. No point splashing out on playing staff this year. Get the infrastructure and players will want to come. Next year will be the year it comes together. 

• Like 4

It's great hearing a really positive comment and I hope you are right. It would be nice if the powers that be could keep us informed about what is going on like the new management at the Latics. According to this morning's Oldham Times they informed the supporters about the takeover, then did it. Brilliant PR. What do we get NOWT!

Trying to keep positive - honest, it's only 60 years in the waiting.

• Like 2

Been scanning vintage match reports for the heritage trust website and the difference in the the reporting from the 60’s to the early 90’s and to now is so stark. Roger was hard hitting in his chron days. These days sadly it is just sanitised info to release to all the press. Totally controlled by the powers that be.

Edited by sheddingswasus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sheddingswasus said:

Been scanning vintage match reports for the heritage trust website and the difference in the the reporting from the 60’s to the early 90’s and to now is so stark. Roger was hard hitting in his chron days. These days sadly it is just sanitised info to release to all the press. Totally controlled by the powers that be.

I think that's also to do with the medium of the time, print. These days with online digital reporting it tends to be more concise. Hence less detail. 

On 04/08/2022 at 15:42, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I think that's also to do with the medium of the time, print. These days with online digital reporting it tends to be more concise. Hence less detail. 

Plus most 'papers' have sacked most reporters, so the job is mostly just editing whatever press release the club sends you.  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/08/2022 at 23:37, tub said:

Looks like Frank Rothwell has finalised the transfer of Boundary park.  Let's see what the next few weeks bring

The major issue by playing at BP is the 400 Hardy souls in the main stand will have an effect that we have no support in a massive stadium at least at whitebank 400 people looks full. 

Also would 400 cover the cost of the ground stewards etc.

Think there needs to be a vast improvement on the playing front before moving to BP.

The fact is it doesn't look cost effective 

3 hours ago, clifford said:

The major issue by playing at BP is the 400 Hardy souls in the main stand will have an effect that we have no support in a massive stadium at least at whitebank 400 people looks full. 

Also would 400 cover the cost of the ground stewards etc.

Think there needs to be a vast improvement on the playing front before moving to BP.

The fact is it doesn't look cost effective 

At BP there'll be more than 400.

• Like 3