Thur 4th Aug: SL: Hull Kingston Rovers v Toulouse Olympique KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull Kingston Rovers
    • Toulouse Olympique

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/08/22 at 19:30

On 05/08/2022 at 03:44, Kirmonds pouch said:

Says the parasite club with no ground, no fans, no Academy and almost certain to go bust any time soon unless Salfords soccer team lets them borrow their stadium made up of bus shelters. Salford, a place that no longer really exists with a high street of Kebab shops, stuck in an area where nobody has heard of them. Ask anyone in Manchester if they have heard of a RL team from the deprived suburb of Salford. They will look bemused and then ask if its that team Ryan Giggs set up. I know because I've asked the question many times.

Salford Cockroaches has a real ring of truth to it.

I don't support Salford but thanks for that.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 05/08/2022 at 14:41, The Future is League said:

Build a Championship side around British players so when you get promoted to Super League you don't have to do a major rebuild, and then a better chance of staying up.

You have not been watching much RL have you? you do spout a load of bolux.

It is nigh on impossible to entice SL quality player's in big numbers to play in the Championship, there will always be the need for any promoted team to improve the squad that has got them promoted.

Leigh's approach this season has been to recruit to give them the best possible opportunity to go up, they well know that they can only retain 7 of the overseas player's the same as any SL club and still be at a disadvantage financially and having player's at their disposal to those SL club's allowed to run academies, but we have what we have, I think Leigh will be the best prepared team to go up (if they make it) with the player's they will retain, but like any other season it is going to be the recruitment for next season that will be the telling point.

On 05/08/2022 at 08:44, Kirmonds pouch said:

Says the parasite club with no ground, no fans, no Academy and almost certain to go bust any time soon unless Salfords soccer team lets them borrow their stadium made up of bus shelters. Salford, a place that no longer really exists with a high street of Kebab shops, stuck in an area where nobody has heard of them. Ask anyone in Manchester if they have heard of a RL team from the deprived suburb of Salford. They will look bemused and then ask if its that team Ryan Giggs set up. I know because I've asked the question many times.

Salford Cockroaches has a real ring of truth to it.

Post of the decade, if not the century. It shows that "they live amongst us." 😁😁😁😁😁

On 05/08/2022 at 15:58, The Future is League said:

If i had my way i would reduce the overseas quota year on year and that would make some clubs take junior development more seriously than they do now.

Good luck with that one, tell it to McManus, Lenighan and co.

You never have disclosed your location so I honestly wonder how much you are au-fait with the community side of the sport, I was heavily involved in it and over the last 35+ years watched it decline in popularity both off the pitch and more importantly in participation numbers and none more so than the last 10 years and it ain't slowing down.To decrease the overseas quota - something I had advocated for years - is not feasible, there are just not enough coming through the system unless of course you want to see a further decline in the product on offer for the paying public, I do believe the game is nearing a crisis point on the development side through lack of numbers and modern day society is not going to improve matters with all the bad press and litigation issues high contact and collision sports are recieving, parents are taking this in and there is so much else for kids to do these day's.

So before as you suggest in reducing the overseas quota, what is underneath the pro game needs a good dose of looking at to get it to level that we are not reliant on overseas player's, have you got about 50 years to wait? and in all honesty I do not ever see the sport in this country improving to readdress this problem it quite simply does not have the resources to do anything about it.

On 05/08/2022 at 16:56, daz39 said:

But that would mean leigh wouldn't get into super league every 2nd year as they wouldn't have their expensive aussie imports to rely on, don't be mean suggesting they grow their own! 

Like Halifax, Dewsbury and Batley where the Giants pick up a number of academy player's from? like I said in the last post we are not producing enough junior players, that is the reason the RFL are not allowing all club's to run academies, but should they be denied just to benefit the likes of Huddersfield, think about it instead of trying to make a joke of it, something you are clearly not very good at.

On 05/08/2022 at 19:23, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I agree, all promoted clubs should get a 3 year protection (or maybe 2 years so the 3rd's at risk). RL's always innovated and this would be a good one. 

Can't agree even though it is likely my club who would be the beneficiary of such a decision, as I have said many times previously I will not attend games where the result has no meaning or consequence if we are in a relegation situation, what's the point?

On 05/08/2022 at 20:38, kiggy said:

Yes, unfortunately I've been hearing those rumours for a few months now.

It's a big ask to sink another million into the club on the off chance they can make it back into SL next season, and now knowing what you need to stay there, another shed load on top of that. It would be nice if the away side paid their way next season, that would help.

Can some Championship club's afford that? I think realistically we all know the answer to that, especially if funding is decreased and they would well be within their right to say "SL wouldn't pay it, why should we"

Yes it is decision time for Toulouse, do they invest and go round again?

On 05/08/2022 at 19:23, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I agree, all promoted clubs should get a 3 year protection (or maybe 2 years so the 3rd's at risk). RL's always innovated and this would be a good one. 

As there is clearly no interest within the game to go back to some kind of licensing system then promoted clubs should have at least one season of being exempt from relegation to help them recruit properly and get up to speed with Super  League rugby.