Auckland League Final.

On 04/08/2022 at 15:37, unapologetic pedant said:

I watched the last two Turangawaewae v Taniwharau GFs on Radio Tainui. Most RL followers in the UK and Oz would be surprised to see events like these in NZ. The fans are some of the best anywhere.

I have to say though U.P, I thought the crowd would have been bigger at Mt Smart for the Auckland final. It looked pretty small - we probably had at least that many at the Bay of Plenty semis the week before. 

I appreciate its 2 amateur clubs, but I'd have hoped that more of the League community would have turned out for their Grand Final. 

(I haven't actually watched the whole game yet, but will do).

When I arrived at Ericson Stadium 10 mins before ko, there was a big queue waiting to get in, they only had one ticket booth open.  They were still coming into the game 25mins after the start but lots just went home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frank said:

When I arrived at Ericson Stadium 10 mins before ko, there was a big queue waiting to get in, they only had one ticket booth open.  They were still coming into the game 25mins after the start but lots just went home.

Cheers Frank. I actually saw that when I sat down to watch the game footage. There are people all tramping down the hill at the corner.

The crowd in the seats looked bigger as the game went on.

On 04/08/2022 at 20:09, Programme Guy said:

There is not a domestic "comp" really - it is regionalised. I was at the Bay of Plenty semi finals on Saturday. One was a local derby (between 2 Waikato teams) and the quality on display was pretty decent for amateur players. Some big bodies on there, really good collisions and there was a big and very enthusiastic crowd. 

Even in that part of southern Waikato though, where League is more popular, the union club still gets priority on the use of the ground. So a union reserve grade final (2nd Division reserve) was played on the main ground in front of a far smaller crowd, while the League had hundreds of people watching on 2 back pitches.

The gang culture is alive and well in NZ League with a serious Black Power presence in the crowd. People think that League only dominates in South Auckland, but in parts of Waikato (south of Hamilton towards Taupo) it is definitely number 1. A mate of mine coaches a high school first XV union team in the area, and the players were basically all playing League instead of union (carrying high, not really pushing in scrums, feeding the ball one handed etc etc) the school 'rugby' ref was a League ref as well, and he didn't seem to know a lot of the Union rules. If League is smart it could clean up the younger generation of New Zealanders. There are very few white faces in that neck of the woods - massive Cook Islander kids, Tongans, Samoans and Māori. League suits them with it's easier rules, pure power based game, ability to throw up 'instagram reel' plays, emphasis on running, tackling and tries.  Problem is... Union gets a ridiculously disproportionate amount of support (not just to the detriment of League - it impacts on all other sports). NZRL has boots on the ground, but their development programs are notoriously mismanaged.  NRL clubs (not just warriors) tend to scout union first XV schools games (these are televised) far more than they scout junior League games. The best kids are nearly all playing union on scholarships in big private schools. 

I played a season in Waikato a few years ago now and was fun. It appears the premiership keeps changing from been a Waikato only teams to a regional one with teams from the Bays, King Country and Thames. 

• Like 1

There is little to no money in RL in New Zealand so the domestic structure is very amateur and constantly changing to whatever there is funding for. It is also viewed as game for Maoris and Islanders, very few white people play the game. The gang involvement only helps to reinforce the stereotype that it isn't a game for anyone other than the bottom rung of society. The perception is that League is the game for people too thick to understand Rugby.

Adding a second NZ NRL team would be madness, particularly in the South Island. The Warriors can barely recruit players to live in Auckland, nobody is going to want to live in Christchurch over Sydney or Brisbane. As a New Zealander I have always supported the Sydney Roosters and have little to no interest in the sh*t show that is the Warriors.

Edited by eal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Taniwha Warriors said:

I played a season in Waikato a few years ago now and was fun. It appears the premiership keeps changing from been a Waikato only teams to a regional one with teams from the Bays, King Country and Thames. 

👍🏼 I think it is actually the Bay of Plenty comp, but Taupo, Pacific Sharks, Forestland and the Hawks were all in the semis this year. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, eal said:

Adding a second NZ NRL team would be madness, particularly in the South Island. The Warriors can barely recruit players to live in Auckland, nobody is going to want to live in Christchurch over Sydney or Brisbane. 

Thank you.

Exactly my point. I have no idea what fantasy world that other guy lives in. 

• Like 2

On 05/08/2022 at 09:12, rlno1 said:

I believe the 18th team will be in NZ and once Christchurch build their new stadium it has a very strong chance of it being there. Expect them in in 2026 or 2027.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/christchurch-stadium-neighbours-say-city-has-locked-in-payment-with-no-contribution-requested-from-others/XAFJUG2LMZUHLLTLQW5D4UILXQ/

Looks like it will be an impressive stadium.

Having a stadium doesn't really mean much if you have no playing base or supporter base. New Zealand is not a Rugby League country other than a few old school working class white people and Pacific Islanders - Christchurch has few of either.

4 hours ago, eal said:

There is little to no money in RL in New Zealand so the domestic structure is very amateur and constantly changing to whatever there is funding for. It is also viewed as game for Maoris and Islanders, very few white people play the game. The gang involvement only helps to reinforce the stereotype that it isn't a game for anyone other than the bottom rung of society. The perception is that League is the game for people too thick to understand Rugby.

Adding a second NZ NRL team would be madness, particularly in the South Island. The Warriors can barely recruit players to live in Auckland, nobody is going to want to live in Christchurch over Sydney or Brisbane. As a New Zealander I have always supported the Sydney Roosters and have little to no interest in the sh*t show that is the Warriors.

Apart from you saying that Maoris and Islanders are the mainstay of the game in NZ you would not have a clue.

If it wern't for the above, all  the Union clubs in the North island would be struggling to field teams. The same goes for the AB, the majority of that team are Polynesian so they must be thick too and the same goes for your Roosters and the NRL

Be no problem fielding a team in Ch-CH.

The reason there isn't a lot of money in League and all other sports in NZ is because rugby gets 90% of sponsorships. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, eal said:

Having a stadium doesn't really mean much if you have no playing base or supporter base. New Zealand is not a Rugby League country other than a few old school working class white people and Pacific Islanders - Christchurch has few of either.

What a defeatist attitude. The game can either try and change that or accept it. I know what I'd prefer. Its really weird how some people seem to want the game to stay within the same demographics and narrow confines and to just accept its lot.

Christchurch also has a decent RL scene and has produced top flight players, such as Jamayne Isaako and Matt Duffie. Canterbury even beat GB in 1990. I don't think its fair to make out the game has no pedigree or base to build on there especially when stalwarts of the NZ scene such as David Kidwell and Quentin Pongia also came from there. I also think its fair to say that the game would only grow if there was a NRL team to be the focal point.

• Like 2

On 07/08/2022 at 11:02, Programme Guy said:

I appreciate its 2 amateur clubs, but I'd have hoped that more of the League community would have turned out for their Grand Final. 

Auckland RL these days reminds me of France - small bands of committed supporters for each club, but little inclination to attend big events as neutrals. Thus the events never feel that big.

Heard a number of local League personalities say it`s been like this since the creation of the Warriors. Usually accompanied with a lament for the loss of Carlaw Park.

Point Chev won 14-12. Just about deserved it, certainly produced the best moment of the match with their first try. Wasn`t a great game to watch. Both teams a bit too wary of each other. Added to the endemic fear of turning the ball over through a real or imagined call of knock-on/forward pass/obstruction. 

On 08/08/2022 at 12:13, eal said:

Either was Melbourne. Build it and they will come.

On 08/08/2022 at 03:13, eal said:

I never understand why the Canterbury Crusaders Rugby Union played out of a stadium called Rugby League Stadium.

5 minutes ago, EggFace said:

I never understand why the Canterbury Crusaders Rugby Union played out of a stadium called Rugby League Stadium.

It was or is owned by the rugby league governing body and was primarily a rugby league ground.

After the 2011 earthquake both RL Park and the main union stadium were damaged and RL Park has been used as Christchurch's main stadium for both codes with temporary stands since then.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

It was or is owned by the rugby league governing body and was primarily a rugby league ground.

After the 2011 earthquake both RL Park and the main union stadium were damaged and RL Park has been used as Christchurch's main stadium for both codes with temporary stands since then.

For a Rugby League Staduim in Canterbury it capacity seemed generous , I wonder it was that size.

There is plenty support for league in NZ and Auckland in particular. NZ Warriors have had a lousy season so far, but, their last the last three home  games have attracted  two sell out crowds(26,000) and tonights game 16.000. I am sure Ch-Ch could match those figures  if an NRL team was based there.

• Like 3

On 10/08/2022 at 04:51, rlno1 said:

Either was Melbourne. Build it and they will come.

After two decades of almost constant success, RL is still small time in Melbourne, it is almost an additional Queensland team transplanted to Victoria. AFL is king by a long long way and gets 95% of all media coverage. A Christchurch team would receive a fraction of the money Melbourne has received and would struggle to attract good players. If a club swimming in money like Redcliffe can't attract players, even with Wayne Bennett coaching, Christchurch has no chance. 

Edited by eal

19 minutes ago, eal said:

After two decades of almost constant success, RL is still small time in Melbourne, it is almost an additional Queensland team transplanted to Victoria. AFL is king by a long long way and gets 95% of all media coverage. A Christchurch team would receive a fraction of the money Melbourne has received and would struggle to attract good players. If a club swimming in money like Redcliffe can't attract players, even with Wayne Bennett coaching, Christchurch has no chance. 

Yes Melbourne are a real flop you idiot. Anyone who has a basic understanding of sport in Oz would know that the Storm are not only a resounding success on the field but also off it. 

If it takes Melbourne 50 years to build its` junior pathways then so be it, but they will be deep and sustainable when they do. Unlike the fumbleball teams in Sydney who have seen slowly dwindling crowds and viewing audiences over the last 15 years, the swans having their first sold out game last weekend in five years - it used to happen regularly - the Storm have been on a steady upward metric in all growth areas over their life.

Melbourne Storm are the most widely supported NRL (or AFL) club in 2021 ahead of the Brisbane Broncos and Parramatta Eels - Roy Morgan Research

The Melbourne Storm have topped the ladder as the most widely supported NRL club in 2021 with 1,211,000 supporters, an increase of 28.7% on a year ago following the club’s fourth Premiership in 2020.

Given the popularity of League as a TV sport, 70 000 viewers per average more per game than fumbleball this year so far, and the Storm being one of the NRL`s most popular television teams, the scope for one city teams like the Storm around Australasia is significant.

• Like 2

I didn't say Melbourne are a flop, but it is hardly a league town. One team getting 15,000 fans doesnt compete with 9 AFL teams, 10 if you count Geelong, getting 30-40,000. Most people I know from Melbourne don't even realise there are two codes of Rugby and get confused on what the difference is between the Rebels and the Storm.

3 hours ago, eal said:

Melbourne has grown from virtually zero. 

A second NZ team will come. The NRL see it as fertile ground.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eal said:

I didn't say Melbourne are a flop, but it is hardly a league town. One team getting 15,000 fans doesnt compete with 9 AFL teams, 10 if you count Geelong, getting 30-40,000. Most people I know from Melbourne don't even realise there are two codes of Rugby and get confused on what the difference is between the Rebels and the Storm.

The Rebels are virtually non existent in Melbourne. The Storm have a strong presence.

• Like 1