Rugby League Commercial - First board members appointed

52 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Mick Gledhill (usual caveat applies)

Gledhill requires more than usual caveats!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I can't help but feel that those looking for some kind of RL revolution will be disappointed, and I do think some of those expansion fans who would go all-in May also he disappointed. 

I think there is a very real chance that there will be a lot of quite boring stuff in their recommendations. Because for me, it is a lot of this (governance, behind the scenes structures, marketing, digital setup, etc) that we are weak at and is seeing us lose value. I think there is a lot to be said for sorting out many of the basics. 

I suppose the thing that does give me hope for some more radical change is around the review of structures and TV rights, which does give an indication that we could head to licensing etc. 

But, I'm not sure we'll see IMG be as bold and expansion focused as some would like. I think they are more likely to have a strategy that is more in line with the likes of Carter's suggestion of being stronger in established areas. 

That may be less sexy, but I do think there is value in that approach. I'd love some of the bolder things to be put forward (expansion clubs, internationals, world club series etc) but history has shown that we have lost millions of quid on these things in the past, and I'm not sure IMG will recommend things that will have a high risk of substantial losses or failure. Like Dublin. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Derwent said:

Interesting is one word for it. The last 3 companies he has been involved in have all gone bust - House of Fraser, Hamley's and Brookstone. Seems he has very close ties to 2 major Chinese corporations. 

Perhaps he can get Chinese sponsors on board. We certainly need to widen our net when it comes to sponsors, domestically and overseas

51 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But, I'm not sure we'll see IMG be as bold and expansion focused as some would like. I think they are more likely to have a strategy that is more in line with the likes of Carter's suggestion of being stronger in established areas. 

It makes sense to do that in the short to medium term given that we haven't fully exploited the potential of the heartland areas by a long chalk. Its the only way the game is ever going to build up enough funds to take the risks on non-heartland expansion. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

In an ideal world we'd have a licensed 16-team Super League for all those with elite Academies, ie Bradford, Castleford, Catalans, Huddersfield, Hull FC, Hull KR, Leeds, London, Newcastle, Saints, Wakefield, Warrington and Wigan + Leigh, Salford and Toulouse.

That's all the FT professional clubs we need (grabs coat and flees!). 

Edited by Man of Kent

I wouldn't be announcing anything before the RLWC - we know how much this sport likes a public bunfight and we should be doing everything possible to avoid that before such a big and, for the whole sport, important tournament. 

• Like 6

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

28 minutes ago, Derwent said:

It makes sense to do that in the short to medium term given that we haven't fully exploited the potential of the heartland areas by a long chalk. Its the only way the game is ever going to build up enough funds to take the risks on non-heartland expansion. 

I agree, imho we are nowhere near saturation point or optimising what we have - I don't buy that what we have is worthless or can deliver little growth. 

But I think there is a middle ground where we embark on some of the more interesting stuff, probably on an 80:20 basis or similar. 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree, imho we are nowhere near saturation point or optimising what we have - I don't buy that what we have is worthless or can deliver little growth. 

But I think there is a middle ground where we embark on some of the more interesting stuff, probably on an 80:20 basis or similar. 

I'm not saying there shouldn't be some element of risk taking but it has to be managed risk rather than the stick flags on maps approach that we have seen in the past. Instead of multiple areas we need to start by picking one and concentrating on that. Make a success of that then move onto the next one. The problem is it will take time and patience which is often in short supply especially on forums like this.

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

21 hours ago, Number 16 said:

This is RL. The best we can hope for is a Betamax deal with the Pyongyang Barkstrippers. 

Better than what we’ve got now .. doesn’t come with a Papa Jong’s sponsorship?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, RP London said:

doesn’t come with a Papa Jong’s sponsorship?

Out.

Now.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Mick Gledhill (usual caveat applies) says licensing is on the cards, with Academies expected to figure strongly      in the reckoning.

First of all Mick Gledhill, really?

I believe SARL base all their journalistic output on the Thoughts of Chairman Showmethemoney and that should be warning enough for anyone.

And of course  those things are on the cards so that any club that's not been allowed one can be relegated to the second tier.

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Full 80 Minutes podcast (usual caveat applies) reporting that IMG will present a plan on 12 September.

Mick Gledhill (usual caveat applies) says licensing is on the cards, with Academies expected to figure strongly      in the reckoning.

Academies yes for all Super League i can see that.

I can't see licensing coming back, but i can see a 14 team super league with no loop fixtures

On 04/08/2022 at 13:19, Derwent said:

Interesting is one word for it. The last 3 companies he has been involved in have all gone bust - House of Fraser, Hamley's and Brookstone. Seems he has very close ties to 2 major Chinese corporations. 

We need somebody strong in that organisation. He survived as the bridge between Sanpower and their investments for years, and they're hardcore to say the least. I think that's why IMG will have brought him in, because they can see the stakeholder environment is part of the issue (if not THE issue). Jokers like Ken Davy, Ian Lenagan etc. won't be able to intimidate and control him like they did Elstone. 

One other thought: A key driver in IMG's sucess case study with European Basketball was driving the value of sports betting... the big market for that is obviously Asia, and the Chinese community (whether in China, or the diaspora in places like Malaysia and Singapore) in particular. Don't underestimate the value of his 20 years living in the region, and time since working with Chinese investors. Looks like he's been recruited to a particular spec to me. 

Edited by Hull Kingston Bronco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Licensing with contractual guarantees of regular invites to join SL based on clear and achievable criteria would be a good idea.

As a part of this contract the RFL need to up their game in each club's region with investment and involvement in growing the amateur game for youngsters and schools.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a 14 team Super League even as early as next season. With the 12 present Super League clubs plus the 2 who reach the Championship grand final. Just saying

There would have to be a pretty compelling reason to change the rules in such a radical way at the end of the season. Removing loop fixtures doesn't seem to me a strong enough reason. 

The only reason I could see for this would be if IMG were desperate to protect Toulouse because they saw the French teams as central to their brand and media strategy.

There's a danger if TO go down they could unravel. 

But nothing that IMG have said in public suggests a pair of French clubs is crucial for them - it seems primarily about improving the performance of the game in the UK. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we have a 14 team Super League even as early as next season. With the 12 present Super League clubs plus the 2 who reach the Championship grand final. Just saying

Highly unlikely.

Mainly because that would mean splitting the money two more ways but also it's already been agreed that there'll be no changes to structure before 2024.

What would be the point in adding two vanity projects to Super League ?

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The academy licenses (the original ones) should be a big hint about who the RFL would prioritise in the fully pro top flight if the axe had to be swung.

I don’t think they’ll allow a rogue Hull FC fan on that decision-making board with a historical agenda to have so much influence in the wider topic, so no. Burned once, close call, won’t risk Hudgell’s considerable legal wrath.

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 minute ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

I don’t think they’ll allow a rogue Hull FC fan on that decision-making board with a historical agenda to have so much influence in the wider topic, so no. Burned once, close call, won’t risk Hudgell’s considerable legal wrath.

I do think it gives an idea as to "spread" at least.