Tom Gilmore

Malcolm B

I'm surprised at so many Batley fans who seem to forget that in the past we've signed players who haven't had the best of histories who gave turned out to be just up our street. Every time a name gets mentioned, either by myself or anyone else somebody has to poo poo it on this or that. Even I was aghast when Linners brought in Luke Hookey; my reasoning was well he couldn't hold down a place at Dewsbury or anywhere else, how could he be better than Scotty? See how wrong we can be? I've raised a couple of names who some might think barmy but under different conditions a bloke who's average somewhere else will flourish here.

2 hours ago, phildog said:

I'm surprised at so many Batley fans who seem to forget that in the past we've signed players who haven't had the best of histories who gave turned out to be just up our street. Every time a name gets mentioned, either by myself or anyone else somebody has to poo poo it on this or that. Even I was aghast when Linners brought in Luke Hookey; my reasoning was well he couldn't hold down a place at Dewsbury or anywhere else, how could he be better than Scotty? See how wrong we can be? I've raised a couple of names who some might think barmy but under different conditions a bloke who's average somewhere else will flourish here.

I think you are right.  It's hard to judge when you see a player occasionally. Agree wholeheartedly about Hooley, and delighted to say l was wrong. It's always fun to see players who one has not really heard of but comes good. Brown and Ward come to mind in this category. 

i've seen Oscar Thomas play quite a few times for different clubs and i don't rate him but thats my opinion , to my mind he always seems to goes missing when the going gets tough, if linners signed him fair do's as Linners will know more about him than us that have only seen him a few times and that goes for any player.

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

I liked Southernwood when he played against us but he never really sparked for us but then we had Brambani and Patch Walker, like I used to like Macauley Hallet until he threw the teddy out of the cot.

Sat next to a lady from Barrow on Sunday, said to her 'that's a bonus for us, Sammut and Stack not playing'....her reply was 'Sammut's alright when he's alright'....wouldn't mind finding out!!

On 04/08/2022 at 15:58, phildog said:

Common knowledge on the terraces, don't know why it doesn't just go public. According to LeedsLive, Rhinos are preparing a deal for Luke Hooley. Both players, who we have spent time on imoroing; will bring us ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except a thank you from Wudbes and Leeds. Current financing system from the RFL in basically binding clubs to 1 year contracts is a free hit to SL and it stinks.

LOL. Remind me what transfer fee Batley paid when signing Tom Gilmore in the first place?

Tom Gilmore, the Halton Hornets junior who joined Widnes Academy, then stepped up to the first team aged 17 and then had 8 SL seasons at Widnes and made it into the England Knights squad? You think Batley are entitled to a fee for "improving" him? 🙂 Or even a thank you?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JonM said:

LOL. Remind me what transfer fee Batley paid when signing Tom Gilmore in the first place?

Tom Gilmore, the Halton Hornets junior who joined Widnes Academy, then stepped up to the first team aged 17 and then had 8 SL seasons at Widnes and made it into the England Knights squad? You think Batley are entitled to a fee for "improving" him? 🙂 Or even a thank you?

The Bosman ruling changed rugby league I bet if Gilmore moved in 1994 he’d worth 60k to Batley then 

18 minutes ago, JonM said:

When Tom G joined Batley he did a q n a. His main point was, he had lost his appetite for RL. He had been on loan etc and wanted to get his appetite back. Credit to Tom, he has found this at Batley. As have quite a few other players. Luke Hooley is also a classic example. So ,yes, I personally feel ,we have improved him, as a person, and helped a very talented player get his mojo back. Regards a transfer fee, that's for our Club to sort. 

• Like 5

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

16 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

The Bosman ruling changed rugby league I bet if Gilmore moved in 1994 he’d worth 60k to Batley then 

How much do you think you would have to pay to sign him in the first place?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, colinb said:

When Tom G joined Batley he did a q n a. His main point was, he had lost his appetite for RL. He had been on loan etc and wanted to get his appetite back. Credit to Tom, he has found this at Batley. As have quite a few other players. Luke Hooley is also a classic example. So ,yes, I personally feel ,we have improved him, as a person, and helped a very talented player get his mojo back. Regards a transfer fee, that's for our Club to sort. 

Don't get me wrong - I think Craig Lingard does a fantastic coaching job, and he certainly has got Tom Gilmore back at the top of his game.

But it just seemed quite funny for someone to post a complaint that Widnes were somehow robbing Batley, when we're talking about someone who is from Widnes, played junior RL in Widnes, was in Widnes Academy, played for Widnes for best part of a decade and who joined Batley last year, without any fee being paid.

30 minutes ago, JonM said:

How much do you think you would have to pay to sign him in the first place?

Depends on if Halifax wanted to sell him… let’s be honest Widnes aren’t a big club anymore if we lose Gilmore we lose him… he’s gone of the boil last couple of games with a few others who’s  destinations are elsewhere in 2023 and beyond.. is worth ruining a legacy that in 20 years time you can come back to and say we created something special 

Batley will be fine in 2023 and beyond because they never spend over budget… how many other clubs will be able to say that 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Depends on if Halifax wanted to sell him… let’s be honest Widnes aren’t a big club anymore if we lose Gilmore we lose him… he’s gone of the boil last couple of games with a few others who’s  destinations are elsewhere in 2023 and beyond.. is worth ruining a legacy that in 20 years time you can come back to and say we created something special 

Rumour is that Michael Ward will be joining him. Not from a particularly credible source though.

40 minutes ago, JonM said:

Rumour is that Michael Ward will be joining him. Not from a particularly credible source though.

Same source that spread that rumour last season probably. It would be a loss if those rumoured to be leaving go, but not terminal. They will be replaced. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keep The Faith said:

Batley will be fine in 2023 and beyond because they never spend over budget… how many other clubs will be able to say that 

That's good to know.

🙂

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

same source that mentioned gilly and linners as a pair or nothing..:kolobok_sclerosis: if we listened to all these people we might only have jc,leaky, brownie and manu for 2023..:kolobok_gamer1:

7 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Well said KTF. We have had some good memorable games out of Tom and some poor ones too. Most will be sad to see him leave the dogs , but he is not irreplaceable . As for widnes , like you said they are no longer a big club anymore, just a mid table championship side at best. 

1 hour ago, graham fisher said:

Heard Gilmore is going to Widnes due to his wife expecting their 2nd child plus her business. I reckon with the traveling and the cost of fuel will play a big part in the destination of players. 

Your making it sound like any new signings we make will be from Dewsbury 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMG_0583.JPG