Fancy owning a share in an RL club - Edinburgh Eagles

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment the vast majority of RL towns would have no where near 10.

I disagree. Warrington, Wigan, St Helens, Calderdale, Kirklees, Leeds, Wakefield, Hull, Bradford, Oldham would all have 10 or close to 10 junior clubs.

Plus, the advantage the clubs outside of SL in the heartlands have is that they're surrounded by clubs either in their boundaries or in adjoining towns and cities to get players from.

Unfortunately Edinburgh and the whole Scottish league doesn't seem to have many juniors at all

• Like 1

For the record I'd like to see a lot of people take up this investment opportunity but I'd hope it would be spent on infrastructure and development rather than paying wages to bring players up from the North of England 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I disagree. Warrington, Wigan, St Helens, Calderdale, Kirklees, Leeds, Wakefield, Hull, Bradford, Oldham would all have 10 or close to 10 junior clubs.

Plus, the advantage the clubs outside of SL in the heartlands have is that they're surrounded by clubs either in their boundaries or in adjoining towns and cities to get players from.

Unfortunately Edinburgh and the whole Scottish league doesn't seem to have many juniors at all

Calderdale, kirkless? you are being very disingenuous there. Most of the other places you cite don't have 10 either.

As I said I agree with your premise but just don't think 10 clubs is realistic. This is particularly so when most places can't achieve that either.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

Calderdale, kirkless? you are being very disingenuous there. Most of the other places you cite don't have 10 either.

As I said I agree with your premise but just don't think 10 clubs is realistic. This is particularly so when most places can't achieve that either.

I used Calderdale and Kirklees as we're talking about a big city in Edinburgh. I was trying to make a point that the heartlands clubs are surrounded by juniors which gives them a big advantage over expansion clubs and probably means they don't have as much work to do to attract kids to the sport.

I'd love to see places like Edinburgh, Bristol, Nottingham etc in the league structure but without creating new player markets they'll just have to rely on the same players that all the heartland clubs use which just spreads the talent thinner.

If they don't sign heartlands players then they just get hammered every week like WWR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment the vast majority of RL towns would have no where near 10.

And few professional clubs have any interest in community clubs, in their area or elsewhere. There’s no reason why Edinburgh should either. 

20 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Warrington could put some effort into creating some junior clubs in Cheshire, but they don’t, they just pick up players from the Heartlands the same as Edinburgh would do.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Warrington could put some effort into creating some junior clubs in Cheshire, but they don’t, they just pick up players from the Heartlands the same as Edinburgh would do.  

I completely agree. St Helens could push into Liverpool, Salford into Manchester, the West Yorkshire clubs could push into South Yorkshire. I'd love to see that approach to development.

Warrington are already in the system though and do have a fair few clubs in their catchment area. Any new clubs, whether they be  Edinburgh or somewhere else just increase the amount of clubs competing for the same players 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I completely agree. St Helens could push into Liverpool, Salford into Manchester, the West Yorkshire clubs could push into South Yorkshire. I'd love to see that approach to development.

Warrington are already in the system though and do have a fair few clubs in their catchment area. Any new clubs, whether they be  Edinburgh or somewhere else just increase the amount of clubs competing for the same players 

Those clubs aren’t anything do with Wire though are they, there’s no more reason why Edinburgh shouldn’t sign someone from Burtonwood than Warrington should? Imho all clubs should be working together to help expand the community game, which we agree on, it would take them all working together to do it though, and we know that won’t ever happen 😞 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Those clubs aren’t anything do with Wire though are they, there’s no more reason why Edinburgh shouldn’t sign someone from Burtonwood than Warrington should? Imho all clubs should be working together to help expand the community game, which we agree on, it would take them all working together to do it though, and we know that won’t ever happen 😞 

I've actually thought the same thing. There should be a joined up approach from all the clubs and the RFL to expand the community game. Firstly, each club should target their own catchment area and support junior clubs and help set up new ones.

Areas on the boundaries such as Liverpool, Cheshire, Manchester, Lancashire, South Yorkshire should also be targeted with clubs working together to help develop the junior game in these areas.

Outside of that places such as Newcastle, West Midlands, London and Wales could be targeted using the pro clubs in these areas supported by the RFL and SL clubs.

Wishful thinking from me unfortunately 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yep, the biggest own goal in RL history. 

Maybe so Eddie, but us "Colonials" had a blast for 3 years while it happened, and I do believe that most of the thousands of Heartland and Toulouse XIII fans who visited count their trip to our fair shores as being well worth their time and money spent.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Maybe so Eddie, but us "Colonials" had a blast for 3 years while it happened, and I do believe that most of the thousands of Heartland and Toulouse XIII fans who visited count their trip to our fair shores as being well worth their time and money spent.....

Yep I know you did, and they did, which is what makes the SL clubs’ decision even more absurd - they wanted Leigh in as cannon fodder instead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Liverpool Lions (I think that’s what they’re called) are already one of the community sides Saints work with. Queue cries for taking a random home game from the venue they own and generate income from to a football stadium in a city with one community club in it. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I used Calderdale and Kirklees as we're talking about a big city in Edinburgh. I was trying to make a point that the heartlands clubs are surrounded by juniors which gives them a big advantage over expansion clubs and probably means they don't have as much work to do to attract kids to the sport.

I'd love to see places like Edinburgh, Bristol, Nottingham etc in the league structure but without creating new player markets they'll just have to rely on the same players that all the heartland clubs use which just spreads the talent thinner.

If they don't sign heartlands players then they just get hammered every week like WWR

I understand your point. Edinburgh (city only) is still larger than Kirklees. 

Proportionally some of the smaller towns punch well above their weight in this area. Castleford, Batley, Featherstone and Hunslet for example. 

I agree with your second point also. 

Edited by Niels

On 05/08/2022 at 23:09, Eddie said:

While I like this initiative and would love to see them in League One, you’re not an owner if it’s an annual payment so it seems a bit disingenuous to say that, it’s basically a donation. 

Yeah, this is a hopeless attempt.

20 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I prefer building from a junior base. That's the way it works in Australia and they aren't too bad at playing Rugby League

Just like the Melbourne Storm....

Wait.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

The benefit is that people in Edinburgh would get to watch professional rugby league, and potentially more people would want to play. 

Is there no TV in Edinburgh?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

21 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

They were bankrolled by News Ltd for many millions and still might be. Edinburgh Eagles won't have the luxury, and Melbourne has junior clubs. How many does Edinburgh?

How many junior clubs did the massive city of Melbourne have when Storm joined the NRL? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, The Future is League said:

Don't know you tell me, but probably more than Edinburgh have now

Nobody is going to bankroll the Eagles and that's why they need to set up some junior clubs.

If nobody is bankrolling them how can they set up junior clubs? Have you ever tried to set a club up? It costs a lot of money (equipment, jerseys, pitch hire, travel etc etc) and takes a lot of manpower. 

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

If nobody is bankrolling them how can they set up junior clubs? Have you ever tried to set a club up? It costs a lot of money (equipment, jerseys, pitch hire, travel etc etc) and takes a lot of manpower. 

The same applies as who is going to pay expenses to visiting teams?

Who is going to pay the expenses of their own players if they are admitted into League 1, as all of them will coming from the North of England