Is there a game this weekend?

jroyales

5:30 Sunday, Midlands Hurricanes in Birmingham. Most of the loan players have been recalled (emphasising the strangeness and short-termism of fitting so many into a side) which means that it will be more of a core Oldham squad team playing, with Ridyard back. Hurricanes beat Hunslet last week and have had no worse results against Keighley, Doncaster etc than we have, which firstly means that the game will be competitive and secondly that that is a horrifying reality. No disrespect to Hurricanes but the fact that this will be far from a cakewalk for Oldham  advertises the level we are currently at. I watched Hurricanes in their previous incarnation of Coventry Bears at the nearest club to me, Telford Raiders, some years ago, and they were a committed and tough but low level amateur side; to have been building like they have, slow and steady, has been great to see. Whether they will be able to sustain it in Birmingham, in which city the influence and impact of rugby league is lower than minimal, even in their new. more central ground next year, is debatable. Two clubs at similar levels - one looking upwards with hope; the other (us) in desperation.  A win by 4 for Oldham, but with some scares on the way.

• Like 2

I think we might just snatch it. By that I mean snatch because whoever wins won't run away with it. In response to the first post on this thread, I think that the interest in the club must be at an all time low. The amount of people who post on here is on the slide. The crowds are down, the atmosphere at games isn't good. I see people coming away from home games frustrated and disappointed,we are in a pickle. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tandle said:

london skolars 68 west wales 18

if oldham lose tomorrow against the midlands, as the crab said just cornwall and west wales below oldham

Not a result we'd be hoping for. But these days you just don't know.

We're going to make the play-offs. Honestly, it's going to happen.

Ok so we're in la-la land here but here's the deets...

Hunslet are unlikely to win another game this season until they play us on the final day.

Keighley away - Nope

Swinton away - Probably nope.

Donny at home.  Speculative  loss.

We beat Hurricanes, Skolars, Cornwall by 20+  points.

We prob get stuffed by Swinton but hey-ho.

All that means is that when we play Hunslet at home in the final game  of the season, we  just have to win to seal 6th place.

It's ridiculous I know, but it's  going to happen.

Of course, a loss agains Hurricanes tomorrow puts paid to the whole plan.  We need to win tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

We're going to make the play-offs. Honestly, it's going to happen.

Ok so we're in la-la land here but here's the deets...

Hunslet are unlikely to win another game this season until they play us on the final day.

Keighley away - Nope

Swinton away - Probably nope.

Donny at home.  Speculative  loss.

We beat Hurricanes, Skolars, Cornwall by 20+  points.

We prob get stuffed by Swinton but hey-ho.

All that means is that when we play Hunslet at home in the final game  of the season, we  just have to win to seal 6th place.

It's ridiculous I know, but it's  going to happen.

Of course, a loss against Hurricanes tomorrow puts paid to the whole plan.  We need to win tomorrow.

Nice to see some positive thinking, nothing is impossible. Up the Yeds!

5 minutes ago, clifford said:

Never a dull moment that's for sure. The only other pro club who could throw away that sought of lead is Warrington.

I am still of the opinion that we should throw the towel in for this year

i thought we already had

When Stuart Littler walked back to the dressing rooms his face was like thunder. For 60 minutes we were very sound, very organised, missing very few tackles, giving hardly anything away. Hewitt and Ridyard were causing havoc, lots of chances. Simple, intelligent rugby. 1-17 very good. Good mental attitude. They didn't get a look in. Just as we were thinking that nilling them would be a possibility, coinciding with Whittel going off - we slumped. We gave them a try from a Ridyard intercept and two from 'back to one' sets-all avoidable. We dropped the ball 5 centimetres from the ground in the act of (not) scoring. Honestly, for 60 minutes we had the game completely under control. We still did enough to win - but if the matches were 90 minutes long - who knows! To be fair it was extremely hot and the pitch bone hard. They were always going to have some chances in the game and when we tired their zippy halves and hooker tore us to bits. The worrying thing for me, which needs most working on, is that when our first line of defence is broken or we give penalties. repeat sets, etc. we have no plan B to scramble as a team and stop attacks. If at first we don't succeed, we're breached. It' was an improvement on the season's norm of a good 40 minutes then disaster. As I say, a good 60, and to the boys' credit we hung on and ground it out. Littler will have some harsh words to say, I think, about the defensive frailties, but in my opinion there was a lot of good stuff too.  Not many predicted a big win for Oldham, but a win is indeed a win.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, clifford said:

Never a dull moment that's for sure. The only other pro club who could throw away that sought of lead is Warrington.

I am still of the opinion that we should throw the towel in for this year

Your right there mate,when me and my son went to watch Wolves v KR it was like an Oldham game.