Powell would have gone

If Darryl powell was with any other club in world rugby league, he would surely have gone after last night. 

Losing the dressing room but still having the support of the CEO

Its make or break for Karl Fitzpatrick also, who has put all of his stake on powell succeeding. 

But time is rapidly running out for both men 

He could be like Ian Watson and have a poor 1st season results wise but it's what he's doing off the field that will be beneficial, our fans were saying Watson was the wrong choice 12 months ago, now they're saying he's taking us to the grand final, if there is a bad culture and Powell is trying to rid this then they will reap the rewards next year not this.

• Like 9

Ok the squad may have not been his choice. Nevertheless he was handed a group of players that many other SL clubs could only dream of having. He has reduced a potential GF squad to a team close to the bottom of the league. Don't know what Warrington see in him. I know when they brought him in, it looked a smart move. However they should now accept their mistake and get rid.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, daz39 said:

He could be like Ian Watson and have a poor 1st season results wise but it's what he's doing off the field that will be beneficial, our fans were saying Watson was the wrong choice 12 months ago, now they're saying he's taking us to the grand final, if there is a bad culture and Powell is trying to rid this then they will reap the rewards next year not this.

At least with Watson most people could see what he was trying to achieve. With Powell I’m not so sure

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Ok the squad may have not been his choice. Nevertheless he was handed a group of players that many other SL clubs could only dream of having. He has reduced a potential GF squad to a team close to the bottom of the league. Don't know what Warrington see in him. I know when they brought him in, it looked a smart move. However they should now accept their mistake and get rid.

He had a lot of impact on the retentions and signings at the end of last season and the departures have continued during this season. Quite why such an overall of the squad was and apparently still is required I’m struggling to work out

22 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

There clearly looks to be a culture problem at Warrington and Powell has been tasked with the job of sorting it out. He's a fantastic coach but you feel he has to be given this season and then start to be judged from next year. 

Wire have escaped relegation HKR gave them that luxury on Thursday, Powell knows he is on borrowed time for perhaps the first 3 months of next season, if they are not producing the results in that time, I should imagine he will be out, and rightly so at a club with their resources.

10 hours ago, LeeF said:

At least with Watson most people could see what he was trying to achieve. With Powell I’m not so sure

This is a slight concern for me. Too many of the changes appear to be on the back of conflict. A smooth transition between older and younger players could have been done in a respectful way of players that have been great servants to Wire. The exits of Cooper, King and Charnley have been unsavoury this year, and even players who are still with the club will see how they were tossed aside. 

I can't think of a single experienced player who has improved their performance under Powell, which is another worry. 

It's as though he is just trying to change the starting 13 as quickly as possible, without a real reason. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

There clearly looks to be a culture problem at Warrington and Powell has been tasked with the job of sorting it out. He's a fantastic coach but you feel he has to be given this season and then start to be judged from next year. 

Which culture problem do you refer to? Was it the one that has seen them finish top 4 regularly? Or the one that saw us best Wigan 3 times and Saints last year? Or the one that won us the Cup against Saints? 

This false narrative has put us where we are right now. 

We are the fourth most successful club of the last decade, behind Wigan, Saints and Leeds, who also have the money but have superior youth pathways. We have been performing exactly on par. 

• Like 5

The taciturn Powell is at times his own worst enemy. He MUST be aware of the disquiet amongst Wire fans (what the rest of us think is of no importance to him). Not that he needs to hold a crisis press conference or anything like that, but I do think he needs to address some of the issues more frequently and more often.

Had he worked for any of the companies I've worked at, he would have been sent on one or more communications training courses.

Admission: now I'm retired, I don't need to bother. 😀

Edited by JohnM

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The taciturn Powell is at times his own worst enemy. He MUST be aware of the disquiet amongst Wire fans (what the rest of us think is of no importance to him). Not that he needs to hold a crisis press conference or anything like that, but I do think he needs to address some of the issues more frequently and more often.

Had he worked for any of the companies I've worked at, he would have been sent on one or more communications training courses.

Admission: now I'm retired, I don't need to bother. 😀

One thing I would say is that he does appear to have faced the fans a couple of times, including after matches. However his pleas have generally been 'please be patient' - which only works for so long. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Which culture problem do you refer to? Was it the one that has seen them finish top 4 regularly? Or the one that saw us best Wigan 3 times and Saints last year? Or the one that won us the Cup against Saints? 

This false narrative has put us where we are right now. 

We are the fourth most successful club of the last decade, behind Wigan, Saints and Leeds, who also have the money but have superior youth pathways. We have been performing exactly on par. 

As a warrington fan, it's the culture of slithering out the play offs kike a damp fart, versus kr, fc and cas over the last 3 years, that I wanted changing.

Beating saints and Wigan during the season means sod all if you can't score any points, at home versus kr in the play offs

12 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

As a warrington fan, it's the culture of slithering out the play offs kike a damp fart, versus kr, fc and cas over the last 3 years, that I wanted changing.

Beating saints and Wigan during the season means sod all if you can't score any points, at home versus kr in the play offs

I'm not sure that's a culture. That's sport. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Didn't Cas finish top of the League under Powell for the first time in their history.Judge him after 3 seasons.

If Wire cant beat Tolouse next week, that is  2 seasons and a bit too much to wait, I would have thought.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ah yes, a culture of winning the Challenge Cup in 2019, appearing in the 2018 cup final, playing in the 2018 Grand Final and finishes of 4th (twice) and 3rd (twice). 

Regardless of the depths of the clear ou at Warrington, 10th (at present) is and abject failure and you would expect heads to roll come September. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Wire have escaped relegation HKR gave them that luxury on Thursday, Powell knows he is on borrowed time for perhaps the first 3 months of next season, if they are not producing the results in that time, I should imagine he will be out, and rightly so at a club with their resources.

I think that is part of the problem that Powell has been tasked with turning what is seen by many to be a bit of a joke or a shambles of a club considering the resources available to them and 1 trophy win in god knows how many years in to a team that realistically should be winning a trophy every year. It may be a huge mistake by the board in taking on Powell who has a history of turning clubs around and giving him that chance and backing when their fans seem happy to amble along been the best of the rest.

43 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think that is part of the problem that Powell has been tasked with turning what is seen by many to be a bit of a joke or a shambles of a club considering the resources available to them and 1 trophy win in god knows how many years in to a team that realistically should be winning a trophy every year. It may be a huge mistake by the board in taking on Powell who has a history of turning clubs around and giving him that chance and backing when their fans seem happy to amble along been the best of the rest.

I wish SL had more joke clubs like Wire. 

I'm not sure why Wire more than any other club should be winning a trophy every year. Its weird unrealistic expectations that are a problem. 

16 hours ago, daz39 said:

Such a great point. Peyton is another great example of a coach that has excelled in his second season, having been chastised his entire first season and even in the beginning of his second.

Edited by Sports Prophet

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Powell knows he is on borrowed time for perhaps the first 3 months of next season

There is a very good chance that next season the Wolves will be sorted and there or thereabouts for semi-finals at the very least. If he lasts until then he's cracked it, I reckon.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political