Odsal sports city - part 2

New thread, rather than reviving the last one. Sorry. If a mod really wants the last one, I'm sure this can be merged. 

Key point - All 4 of these are applications at present. Bradford East bid was approved in the last financial year. £20m for Squire Lane Wellbeing and Enterprise Centre,

5 constituencies in Bradford. 

My understanding of levelling up funds is that there is one bid per constituency ward. 

This is the council prospectus from May which no-one seemed to referenced in the last thread.  Council Prospectus - Lots of data about socioeconomic metrics and the potential for growth in Bradford. Also improving health and wellbeing which is a council priority which leads into sporting and community health infrastructure. 

More info came out over the weekend - BradfordzoneWeird artist impression from T&A...

Then the council again this morning with an update - Update on the bids - obviously not accepted yet.

Council is the freeholder. They have to lead on this. RFL are primary leaseholder so they are involved. 1 bid has been accepted, 4 to go. 

"In Bradford South, Odsal could become the new national home for rugby league...

...and pave the way for the Bulls to return to the Super League once again."

No-one outside of Odsal has any desire for it to be the national home of RL, and the not-so-hidden agenda is just a rescue package for a Bulls club on it's ######.

Edited by dboy
  • Like 1

I assume it’s because it’s the only stadium the RFL has some control over and a financial interest in. I’m sure if any club wants to sell their stadium to the rfl for £1.5m they’ll be happy to make it the national stadium. 

4 minutes ago, TrueBull said:

I assume it’s because it’s the only stadium the RFL has some control over and a financial interest in. I’m sure if any club wants to sell their stadium to the rfl for £1.5m they’ll be happy to make it the national stadium. 

And therein lies the problem.

The RFL should have no financial ties of this kind, to any club at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Says something about turning that touristy train bit (Worth valley) into a commuter route? I liked going on that thing to Howarth ...Surely it would ruin it if they put proper trains on it?

Off topic but the trains would run in the morning and evening only i.e. commuter times and would be supplemental to the tourist services. But the commuter trains would be year round unlike the current operation. And last that was seen was the KWVR proposed using their historic DMUs rather than modern trains.

As for Odsal, I think sticking out any more artists impressions at such a tentative stage is ill-advised. Wood should do what he's best at and see if he can pull another rabbit out of the hat rather than talking about it up front, even if he has caveated it as being not massively likely to come off.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dboy said:

And therein lies the problem.

The RFL should have no financial ties of this kind, to any club at all.

I agree. And the fact it was initially tried to be kept secret means that both parties knew it as well. 

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I’m sure your club could give them some more modest artists impressions that never got built.

We can lend you actual drawings of a stand that is being built right now, which cost £12m.

If you think Odsal can be engineered into that artists drawing for £20m, you're gonna be very disappointed.

7 minutes ago, dboy said:

We can lend you actual drawings of a stand that is being built right now, which cost £12m.

If you think Odsal can be engineered into that artists drawing for £20m, you're gonna be very disappointed.

No disappointment here,I’ve seen the yearly release of artists impressions some Yorkshire clubs have been churning out over the last 2 decades and all that’s come from it is one new stand.

18 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

No disappointment here,I’ve seen the yearly release of artists impressions some Yorkshire clubs have been churning out over the last 2 decades and all that’s come from it is one new stand.

Wakey have owned the ground for 3 years and are already building a new stand.

Already installed brand new floodlights, re-roofed the "corner building", permanent big screen going in shortly and hybrid pitch being laid in the closed season.

You are making a mistake if you try to sidestep the Odsal debacle by calling out other clubs.

Other clubs have had their council helping with community stadiums. Reading between the lines, I think this will be a large part of the funding, but not the only funding. The arts/culture references would tie in with the City of Culture funding streams. There may be a renewed bid for the RFL museum if it stays stalled in development mire.  I wouldn't be surprised if the council are talking to Bradford City as well. 

12 minutes ago, dboy said:

Wakey have owned the ground for 3 years and are already building a new stand.

Already installed brand new floodlights, re-roofed the "corner building", permanent big screen going in shortly and hybrid pitch being laid in the closed season.

You are making a mistake if you try to sidestep the Odsal debacle by calling out other clubs.

Not sidestepping anything, it won’t happen,just like the new stadiums at Wakefield & Castleford.

6 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Not sidestepping anything, it won’t happen,just like the new stadiums at Wakefield & Castleford.

Wakefield's ground development is happening right at this moment.

What's your next sidestep?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dboy said:

Wakefield's ground development is happening right at this moment.

What's your next sidestep?

Building one new stand in a wreck that wouldn’t be out of place in the 1950s is small progress but nowhere near enough. When it’s built the ground overall will still be awful. When are they building the second stand? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Building one new stand in a wreck that wouldn’t be out of place in the 1950s is small progress but nowhere near enough. When it’s built the ground overall will still be awful. When are they building the second stand? 

And there's the sidestep!

"Yeah but!"

When the funding package of £12m was agreed in 2019, it was enough to do the East, North and West. The economic situation now means that funding only runs to the East and refurb of the North stand.

And that's the point. The time it will tale to get PP for Odsal, plus the fact that £20m is peanuts in modern construction, this is all just a pipe dream, aimed at keeping the Bankrupt Bulls mentioned in SL circles.

Bulls will fold again before Odsal sees a digger on site.

On Wakey, I think the North gets refurbed in the closed-season, but not certain. East will be done in 12 months and that will provide the income to think about the West terrace.

Believe me, we KNOW it needs doing.

If I was a South Bradford resident, I'm not sure I'd be happy with my constituencies levelling up money going to a single, non-community-owned, vanity project.

4 minutes ago, dboy said:

And there's the sidestep!

"Yeah but!"

When the funding package of £12m was agreed in 2019, it was enough to do the East, North and West. The economic situation now means that funding only runs to the East and refurb of the North stand.

And that's the point. The time it will tale to get PP for Odsal, plus the fact that £20m is peanuts in modern construction, this is all just a pipe dream, aimed at keeping the Bankrupt Bulls mentioned in SL circles.

Bulls will fold again before Odsal sees a digger on site.

On Wakey, I think the North gets refurbed in the closed-season, but not certain. East will be done in 12 months and that will provide the income to think about the West terrace.

Believe me, we KNOW it needs doing.

If I was a South Bradford resident, I'm not sure I'd be happy with my constituencies levelling up money going to a single, non-community-owned, vanity project.

There’s no yeah but about it. Wakey have been playing in an embarassing shed of a ‘stadium’ for decades and now something is finally being done about a quarter of it they think they can slag off other clubs for having rubbish grounds. 

• Like 3