Odsal sports city - part 2

20 minutes ago, pahars said:

😂 £200 million at least 

The new Sydney Football Stadium has cost nearly £500 million & Bankwest completed in 2019 was £200 million so I’d say even your figure is extremely optimistic.

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

The new Sydney Football Stadium has cost nearly £500 million & Bankwest completed in 2019 was £200 million so I’d say even your figure is extremely optimistic.

Aussie construction costs are high though. The nearest comparable roofed stadium built recently in Europe would be the U arena in Paris at £300 million for 32,000 seats. This looks around 20,000 seats tops but with costs rising I’ll concede it’s probably more like £250 million then £200 million. 

21 minutes ago, pahars said:

Aussie construction costs are high though. The nearest comparable roofed stadium built recently in Europe would be the U arena in Paris at £300 million for 32,000 seats. This looks around 20,000 seats tops but with costs rising I’ll concede it’s probably more like £250 million then £200 million. 

And ours are going through the roof(no pun intended) & none of those builds had to go ahead inside a crater,the budget just for the prep work would be huge.£250M or £300+ M it doesn’t really matter,it won’t be happening.

Edited by Davo5

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

And ours are going through the roof(no pun intended) & none of those builds had to go ahead inside a crater,the budget just for the prep work would be huge.

Very true though if you could landscape said crater in to the seating bowl and have entrances and concourses at the top it might save a lot rather then filling in and building up.

That’s thinking about a completely unrealistic idea far too much though😂 

I previously said in one of the annual ‘national RL stadium’ threads that this kind of idea would (given the few RL events that it could hold) be the only way it could work. Having a huge indoor concert/boxing venue available all winter when those events can’t be held outside. The fatal flaw in the plan is of course the upfront cost of building it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Why not draw up something realistic like an 8k stadium with a 4k seated stand and 4k terracing. future ability for 10-12k . Would still set you back 10 million probably but that´s at least possible rather than the fantasy  here. 

Whatever you do people will moan, look at Wakefield's "basic" plans and the reaction to from idiots.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Why not draw up something realistic like an 8k stadium with a 4k seated stand and 4k terracing. future ability for 10-12k . Would still set you back 10 million probably but that´s at least possible rather than the fantasy  here. 

I think the 2600-seater stand Wakey are building accounts for £8m of their £12m package.

The figures are on the WMDC planning portal somewhere.

18 hours ago, dboy said:

Yes.

I prefer the idea of staying with a grass hybrid.

At the recent fan's event, the club said they would get 30-40 hours per week out of the pitch, allowing them to train on it, play on it and hire it out to other sports/community groups.

It will generate an income which a solely grass pitch can't do.

Don’t wish to derail the Odsal dreaming, but there’s absolutely not a prayer you’ll be getting anywhere that much usage with a Desso/hybrid pitch. Generally 2-3 games a week at absolutely maximum before the wear becomes noticeable. Also the additional costs of grow lights etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Don’t wish to derail the Odsal dreaming, but there’s absolutely not a prayer you’ll be getting anywhere that much usage with a Desso/hybrid pitch. Generally 2-3 games a week at absolutely maximum before the wear becomes noticeable. Also the additional costs of grow lights etc. 

It's not Odsal, it's Wakey and that's the detail of the pitch they are laying this off-season.

A new hybrid surface will be laid and Minards explained: “It’s 90 percent grass but it grows through a carpet, which enables it to be much stronger grass and we will have a full irrigation system associated with it as well. We’re planning to do that as soon as we finish this season, which is quite exciting as well.

“It will be a better quality pitch and we’ll get a lot more use out of it on non-matchdays, which is one of the things we’re seeking to achieve by making it a community stadium.”

17 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

But there are always people like that but it´s about getting something relaistic that can be a long term home. Wakey´s ground will be fine in two years and mean that criticism can start to be directed towards clubs in oversized boxes that are untelevisable. 

And Castleford.

Don't forget Castleford.

1 hour ago, dboy said:

It's not Odsal, it's Wakey and that's the detail of the pitch they are laying this off-season.

A new hybrid surface will be laid and Minards explained: “It’s 90 percent grass but it grows through a carpet, which enables it to be much stronger grass and we will have a full irrigation system associated with it as well. We’re planning to do that as soon as we finish this season, which is quite exciting as well.

“It will be a better quality pitch and we’ll get a lot more use out of it on non-matchdays, which is one of the things we’re seeking to achieve by making it a community stadium.”

The main thread is about Odsal though was my point.

And yes, looking at that, it will essentially be the same pitch as LSV (and pretty much every major football ground). If you think you’re going to get much community usage out of it then you will be in for a shock, I’m afraid. 

Back in the real world, £20 million would probably get them a whole new ground that will be like a bigger version of the OLP at Sheffield. 

Anyone suggesting this does literally anything to Odsal itself is in cloud cuckoo land.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The main thread is about Odsal though was my point.

And yes, looking at that, it will essentially be the same pitch as LSV (and pretty much every major football ground). If you think you’re going to get much community usage out of it then you will be in for a shock, I’m afraid. 

I'm absolutely certain of a few things:

Pitch technology has moved on from 2008, when LSV opened. That's 14 years ago.

Minards and the ground developer know a hell of a lot more about the stadium build than you do.

Having a 30-40 hour per week capacity is not the same as finding groups to use it for 30-40 hours.

5 hours ago, dboy said:

I think the 2600-seater stand Wakey are building accounts for £8m of their £12m package.

The figures are on the WMDC planning portal somewhere.

I am not doubting you personally, but that seems on the upper level for what is promised.

If so, then all the better.

Gold plated bog handles?

You have to laugh at the self promotion and delusions of grandeur.

If RL was to have a national stadium, it will be in Leeds or Manchester. Somewhere easy to get to and stay in. A proper Big City.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

I am not doubting you personally, but that seems on the upper level for what is promised.

If so, then all the better.

Gold plated bog handles?

You have to laugh at the self promotion and delusions of grandeur.

If RL was to have a national stadium, it will be in Leeds or Manchester. Somewhere easy to get to and stay in. A proper Big City.

Pounds, schillings and pence of the whole spend right here.

https://planning.wakefield.gov.uk/online-applications/files/8040A1F40A5943ABEAB2BD3A7A86E76C/pdf/20_02587_FUL-WAKEFIELD_TRINITY_-_DELIVERY_REPORT-1059680.pdf

• Thanks 1

On 08/08/2022 at 16:41, dboy said:

And there's the sidestep!

"Yeah but!"

When the funding package of £12m was agreed in 2019, it was enough to do the East, North and West. The economic situation now means that funding only runs to the East and refurb of the North stand.

And that's the point. The time it will tale to get PP for Odsal, plus the fact that £20m is peanuts in modern construction, this is all just a pipe dream, aimed at keeping the Bankrupt Bulls mentioned in SL circles.

Bulls will fold again before Odsal sees a digger on site.

On Wakey, I think the North gets refurbed in the closed-season, but not certain. East will be done in 12 months and that will provide the income to think about the West terrace.

Believe me, we KNOW it needs doing.

If I was a South Bradford resident, I'm not sure I'd be happy with my constituencies levelling up money going to a single, non-community-owned, vanity project.

20 million is peanuts if they want a modern stadium with good facilities and a good corporate stream.  as an example its cost close on 50 million to bring headingley up to a good standard for a 21st century stadium and thats before inflation has reared its head 

11 hours ago, pahars said:

the headingley upgrade cost close on 40 million and that does not include the 7 million for the east stand a few years ago

5 hours ago, dboy said:

I'm absolutely certain of a few things:

Pitch technology has moved on from 2008, when LSV opened. That's 14 years ago.

Minards and the ground developer know a hell of a lot more about the stadium build than you do.

Having a 30-40 hour per week capacity is not the same as finding groups to use it for 30-40 hours.

Yes, we’ve definitely just hosted a UEFA tournament because we’ve absolutely kept the same pitch for the last 14 years. 

33 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

the headingley upgrade cost close on 40 million and that does not include the 7 million for the east stand a few years ago

Headingley cost around £40m in total but more than 2/3 of that was for a ridiculously complex build in the shape of the main stand. South Stand was a more simple build at around £10m of the total.

• Like 1