BBC Radio 5live drops classified soccer results

Hardly ever listen to them, but there's something traditional and reassuring about them, like the shipping forecast.

• Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

5 live are covering the 5.30 PL match so have shortened the sports report,  plus everyone has a mobile now to get results. 

There's no reason why they can't give the results at half time of the commentary match.

Some unexpected results this weekend,  Manchester United still bad as last season,  Bournemouth good win, Erling Haaland looks awesome though the City / Hammers game was very tedious and The Championship looks wide open.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I can't believe the fuss over this Des Lynam an'all!

Times have changed,  I remember during the 70s 80s and even 90s I would rely on the radio for results after leaving White Hart Lane , but now mobile phones make it unnecessary.  Last day of last season watching on TV the Manchester City and Liverpool matches that decided the title,  everyone in the crowd seemed to have one eye on the games and the other on their phones.

My God!! I'm watching the West Brom Watford match that I recorded earlier and just seen Watford's goal ...another Beckhamesque goal from the halfway line.

Edited by HawkMan

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Hardly ever listen to them, but there's something traditional and reassuring about them, like the shipping forecast.

Seems a bit pointless dropping it when the alternative - dropping those godawful live interviews with managers where nothing is said and everyone feels a lot more stupid as a result - is right there.

It also was a good 'public service' bit in connecting all the disparate bits of football together.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Times have changed,  I remember during the 70s 80s and even 90s I would rely on the radio for results after leaving White Hart Lane , but now mobile phones make it unnecessary.  Last day of last season watching on TV the Manchester City and Liverpool matches that decided the title,  everyone in the crowd seemed to have one eye on the games and the other on their phones.

My God!! I'm watching the West Brom Watford match that I recorded earlier and just seen Watford's goal ...another Beckhamesque goal from the halfway line.

Sorry I fell asleep you were relying on the radio and ........?😉

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I miss the vidiprinter and the poor woman typing away furiously , but if we can’t have that back get that bloke from Ghana over to read the scores out 

The mistakes were the best but this is yet another silly example of people finding change difficult to take.

I doubt the bloke from Ghana would want to end up in Rwanda.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Seems a bit pointless dropping it when the alternative - dropping those godawful live interviews with managers where nothing is said and everyone feels a lot more stupid as a result - is right there.

It also was a good 'public service' bit in connecting all the disparate bits of football together.

Totally agree here.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Oxford said:

The mistakes were the best but this is yet another silly example of people finding change difficult to take.

I doubt the bloke from Ghana would want to end up in Rwanda.

Yes, change can be uncomfortable, but equally, the relentless drive to change things when really it does not seem necessary, is er..er..er.. unnecessary. Of course, if things don't change, then things will stay the same. Anyway, who needs change these days, when contactless payment has very much taken over?

• Haha 1

Funniest moment was when Jo Brand guested giving the scores and deliberately subverted it and no one noticed or at least said anything. 

She put the emphasis on the wrong team each time. You raise your voice for the team that wins. As in;

chelSEA 2 everton 0 or

chelsea 0 everTON 2

But she did the opposite and in one lower league hammering she said, can't remember the actual teams but it went something like this;

NORTHAMPTON 0 !!?  walsall 5

Edited by HawkMan

All this because an outdated way of doing it is finally going .....

I s'pose that's why soap operas seem to have a life span stretching into infinity.

And it's funny the way Luddites doesn't even make a token appearance because it's football!

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I agree with you entirely. 

As you say, what replaces it has no real value. 

• Like 1