Lee Briers to Brisbane Broncos

He’s done a great job in transforming Wigan’s attacking play after the drudgery of Lam,which obviously hasn’t gone unnoticed,a great opportunity for him to further develop & to hopefully move up to a head coaching role in the future.

• Like 3

Brisbane are, for the first time in a few seasons, a club that's a significant force in the NRL. A great time for Lee to go.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I really don't rate Kevin Walters as a coach but he seems to be building a decent team around him. It's hard to know from outside how much impact assistant coaches have so we're reliant on the feedback from players and fellow coaches and the reports on Briers appear to be good.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M j M said:

I really don't rate Kevin Walters as a coach but he seems to be building a decent team around him. It's hard to know from outside how much impact assistant coaches have so we're reliant on the feedback from players and fellow coaches and the reports on Briers appear to be good.

The fact nobody at all rates Kevin Walters as a coach, yet Brisbane are in the play offs, pretty much answers the question of the impact of a decent coaching team.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The fact nobody at all rates Kevin Walters as a coach, yet Brisbane are in the play offs, pretty much answers the question of the impact of a decent coaching team.

Yeah, I wasn’t one to rate him either but the proof is in the pudding. He has done a fantastic job of turning them around this year. They haven’t made the playoffs yet, but definitely much improved and Kevvy deserves much of the credit I would say.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yeah, I wasn’t one to rate him either but the proof is in the pudding. He has done a fantastic job of turning them around this year. They haven’t made the playoffs yet, but definitely much improved and Kevvy deserves much of the credit I would say.

Maybe he has learned quickly and what he does well now is delegate? He may work well as a figurehead type coach - everyone seems to love the guy - rather than a master tactician. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Maybe he has learned quickly and what he does well now is delegate? He may work well as a figurehead type coach - everyone seems to love the guy - rather than a master tactician. 

Yep, that could well be it. There is no doubting his credentials. He was a great player under the guidance of one of the greatest coaches ever.

His results and skills as a coach should not be a surprise.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Briers and Walters were team mates at Warrington for a very brief spell. 

Is that when the Briers for Brisbane campaign officially started? Seem to remember something like that back in the day

7 hours ago, M j M said:

Walters almost single handedly destroyed Catalans Dragons. I was always amazed he got any job after that.

The Queensland old boys network is a powerful force in Aussie rugby league.

He was abysmal in France to an extent that would have ended most peoples careers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Scubby said:

How do you get 'nobody at all' rates a guy as a coach, who's been QLD Origin coach and a successful assistant at Brisbane in 2015 and before that, the Melbourne Storm, as well as now successful head coach at Brisbane. He has completely turned around a club that was an absolute shambles 18 months ago - obviously we have a good new CEO and head of football who have helped him, but Walters has clearly been a big part of their turnaround.

We all know Catalans didn't go well and he obviously wasn't the man for the job there, but there are factors there that simply don't apply to coaching at other clubs like the Broncos. Regardless of his issues there, I've always been adamant Walters was the man to coach Brisbane. He basically ran our attack in his playing days and our great football in 2015 was down to his influence as attacking coach.

I am very pleased with how he's turned them around, and am happy for him. The next few years look bright.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

One of the all time wire great players, can’t ever see him succeeding as the head honcho at a club though tbh.  Doesn’t have the intellect or comms skills.

How do you know? Are you his sister or something? 😀