Hull FC sign Liam Sutcliffe..

Three year deal starting from next year.

Might help us dish out a few hammerings for a change.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/hull-complete-signing-of-liam-sutcliffe-from-leeds/

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Never quite lived up to his potential at Leeds unfortunately. I still think given a solid run in the centres he has shown hints of form but I don't think too many Leeds fans will lose sleep over his departure. 

Nene McDonald inbound to replace him by all accounts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M j M said:

Never quite lived up to his potential at Leeds unfortunately. I still think given a solid run in the centres he has shown hints of form but I don't think too many Leeds fans will lose sleep over his departure. 

Nene McDonald inbound to replace him by all accounts.

Already signed for Leigh, partnering Bevan French.

Edited by Harry Stottle

Could never fault his work rate and effort, but for a man who was playing 6 and Centre, he could never pass. I've felt sorry for Handley at times this year with so little service coming from his centre; its like he has glue on his hands.

Perhaps Sutcliffe epitomises (alongside to a lesser extent Cam Smith) the problem Leeds had between 2013 and 2019 bringing through youth to replace the "golden generation". Scouts, coaches and the board seemed to have convinced themselves that these players were the best thing since sliced bread and they just haven't reached those heights at all.

His utility is often cited as his simultaneously greatest strength and greatest flaw. Its true, no Leeds coach has ever seemed to settle on a single position for Sutcliffe and his Squad numbers at Leeds have reflected that.

On the other hand of course, you could also take the view that his versatility has also come about because he has never really been at the right level in any one position either. Not big enough for second row or loose. Not fast enough at full back. Not skillful enough in the halves. Not got the pace or handling for the centres.

Hull have got a decent squad player. A capable hard working lad the likes of which every squad needs. But if he is in your starting 13 it will be because you're starting 13 has a noticeable weakness.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Played under Smith at Norths Devils

Yes I know. I've loved watching him for Leigh on Premier. Big, fast and blitzed more than one defender regularly.  With respect to Leigh and the Champ I hope he'll see Leeds and SL as a massive chance to push on. If he fully buys in to Rohan and the Rhinos I think he could play a Keith Senior role 

Jury still out for me regarding Nene McDonald. He has played in a dominant team this season so plenty of attacking opportunities and subsequent try’s. We have not really seen his defensive capabilities! At summer bash v Fev Leluia brushed him off with ease. Sent off short time later. Questions still to be answered as far as I am concerned.

Sutcliffe has played well in the Centre for Leeds. Plus this season for the most part he has almost been the only player that could break the line, although most times with none following up and hence no one to pass to thus not make the most of the break. 

He is also good defensively.  Although expectations were high when he initially broke through career wise he is still a good solid SL player and somewhat underestimated what he offers the team.

Has good versatility and -  fine at full back for a while, can slot into the half's if really needed but I think lacks a bit of self believe in leading a team around.

A good signing I would suggest.

• Like 1

A few Leeds fans on here giving Sutty an unfair bad press in my opinion. Always given 100% sure he's not as skilful as other players we've had but in our hour of need he's stepped up. Good luck on your new career Liam don't come back to haunt us.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Story is that we're letting him go providing we manage to secure a deal for Ricky Leutele to replace him, which wouldn't be a bad piece of business to be honest

What is the extent of Leutele's injury? And also swooping a 28 year old for a 32 y.o. doesn't seem good business to me to be honest, as good as a player is the older he gets the more prone to injuries he becomes and the longer the recovery time, ask any Fev fan for confirmation of that this season, and we should have also learned that lesson form '17 season in SL.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

What is the extent of Leutele's injury? And also swooping a 28 year old for a 32 y.o. doesn't seem good business to me to be honest, as good as a player is the older he gets the more prone to injuries he becomes and the longer the recovery time, ask any Fev fan for confirmation of that this season, and we should have also learned that lesson form '17 season in SL.

Dunno on the injury, but I'm sure Lam and Chester would be factoring that into their interest. Nene Macdonald was still coming back from a horrific ankle break/dislocation when we were chasing him mid 2021 so we probably never would have signed him if we'd taken that attitude. 

5 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Dunno on the injury, but I'm sure Lam and Chester would be factoring that into their interest. Nene Macdonald was still coming back from a horrific ankle break/dislocation when we were chasing him mid 2021 so we probably never would have signed him if we'd taken that attitude. 

And the age factor? It is relevant Nene was 25 when he had his injury Ricky is 32, get Nene on a 3 year contract that is looking to the future with a release clause if the worst should happen.

24 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

For those who say 'NRL doesn't always mean better' - take this as a prime example. You've got a lad playing for his home city club at 27 years of age getting shipped out....to bring in a former NRL player, who btw has played less than 10 first grade games in the past 4 seasons. Pretty sad indictment for SL really. 

Well yes but no - Sutcliffe has been given more than a decade of chances and has never proven himself to be top quality.

34 minutes ago, M j M said:

Well yes but no - Sutcliffe has been given more than a decade of chances and has never proven himself to be top quality.

And yet still managed to rack up 200+ games for the club? I'm not claiming Sutcliffe is a world beater - but this thread would have you believe it was a no-brainer because of an incoming.....Nene McDonald. 

33 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So why do Hull want him? Any Hull fan's reading this.

His biggest asset is probably his versatility - he's a handy squad player to have because he can cover so many positions. His problem is that he's never really excelled in any of them.

Nene is a proper strike centre, a real attacking threat. If they sign him then Rohan has signed him as a centre and nothing else.

• Like 1

Sutcliffe was on a big contract with Leeds, which he never fully justified. He's a good solid SL utility player but nothing more

McDonald is a better strike player but has always had question marks on his defence. He also has the benefit that he can play winger, which Leeds are short on

• Like 1