Sat 13-Sun 14 Aug: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Discuss this week's Betfred League One games here.

SATURDAY 13th AUGUST 
West Wales Raiders v Swinton Lions KO 15:00

SUNDAY 14th AUGUST
Rochdale Hornets v Cornwall KO 13:00 (OuRLeague)
Midlands Hurricanes v Doncaster KO 15:00
Keighley Cougars v Hunslet KO 15:00
Oldham v London Skolars KO 15:00

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

SATURDAY 13th AUGUST 

SUNDAY 14th AUGUST

West Wales Raiders 4-70 Swinton

Rochdale 28-12 Cornwall

Midlands Hurricanes 18-26 Doncaster

Keighley 44-12 Hunslet

Oldham 30-16 London Skolars

17 hours ago, John Drake said:

SATURDAY 13th AUGUST 

SUNDAY 14th AUGUST

Lions

Hornets

Donny

Cougars

Skolars

West Wales Raiders 12 v 48 Swinton Lions
Rochdale Hornets 34 v 14 Cornwall
Midlands Hurricanes 22 v 18 Doncaster
Keighley Cougars 32 v 12 Hunslet
Oldham 28 v 22 London Skolars

Expecting Hurricanes to take out their frustration from last week's near miss on Donny.

Otherwise, a shock at Oldham maybe?

On 10/08/2022 at 06:42, clwydianrange said:

Wins for;

Swinton

Rochdale

Hurricanes

Keighley

Oldham

Same choices as me!

North Wales Crusaders not playing this week but will still retain their second place due to results last week.

Cougars will secure their top of the league status this week by my calculations.

Hurricane v Doncaster will be the tightest game, but 'Canes will want to start as they left off against Oldham. I may tootle along to Oldham on Sunday to get my RL fix!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rene_Artois said:

🔢 Richard Horne has named his 21-man squad for the trip to @HurricanesRLFC in Betfred League One this weekend.

https://t.co/xFOshbijnH #COYD https://t.co/TDJLHthfZl

Just one change to the 21. York for Sanderson. Never more than 1 or 2 changes from week to week.

Does that mean team work Index is about right?https://www.afr.com/companies/sport/darwins-theory-of-sporting-evolution-20170323-gv4yuj

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Thing is our narrowly missing out on promotion last year cost us. We had a big turnover of players as a result. It took until halfway through the season to get back on track. I'm not using that as an excuse but a reason. We seem to ready for the playoffs now

Edited by Rene_Artois

27 minutes ago, Rene_Artois said:

I can't access that without subscribing. I merely mean a settled side is a successful side. That's right yes?

I don't subscribe to it,either.Bloke is a union guy who also does  

Gain Line Analytics which does need a subscription. 

Having a settled squad,bonding together,is more or less what he suggests.

This link any good? 

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-ex-wallabies-prop-with-keen-eye-for-fascinating-analytics-darwin-australia/

56 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

6 - 94.  Ouch. Would love to see WWR improve, but it's not happening 

Lost to the same opponents 0 -96 in the Challenge Cup,earlier this year,soooooo,perhaps,possibly,maybe,someone,somewhere,may view it as an improvement. 

Wonder how IMG view it?

Edited by Angelic Cynic
  • Like 1

interesting few weeks for Midlands & Skolars coming up.

I expected Midlands to do better this year - i was confident they would win against a few heartland established teams & be in the top half of the table. Their recruitment was strong & their squad is significsntjy better than last years. Just doesn’t seem to have clicked consistently through the whole game. If they can win their run in games it would really be a statement of intent about what could be possible next year.

Skolars lost their coach & squad was decimated, pretty much starting from scratch. If they can beat Oldham tomorrow & beat Midlands (both very difficult, but both also winnable) i think they will have had a great season compared to where they were on day 1.

Edited by Templegreen
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Templegreen said:

I expected Midlands to do better this year - i was confident they would win against a few heartland established teams & be in the top half of the table. Their recruitment was strong & their squad is significsntjy better than last years. Just doesn’t seem to have clicked consistently through the whole game. If they can win their run in games it would really be a statement of intent about what could be possible next year.

Skolars lost their coach & squad was decimated, pretty much starting from scratch. If they can beat Oldham tomorrow & beat Midlands (both very difficult, but both also winnable) i think they will have had a great season compared to where they were on day 1.

interesting thing for Skolars is the broncos ripping out Skolars spine on and off the field let the door open to many of a very special Under 16s and A team squad from 3 or 4 years ago. also Joe did whats been missing last few years by looking at the London amateur game and unearthing some gems. then when it didnt work out for Coleman at Broncos many of the Skolars developed players, the better ones on and off the field came back. also into a much tighter group. hats off to them all. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Templegreen said:

An horrendous injury crisis and a coach absence did for the Hurricanes this year. The use of DR/loan players has been a mixed bag exercise though we seem to be building better links in that area. I think the first Hurricanes season has been a success and an improvement on the last Bears year but could have been better all the same. 

If we play like we did against Hunslet (and Crusaders / Cougars away) then we could beat Doncaster today. If we give ourselves another mountain to climb like we did last week against Oldam, there will likely be no coming back against the promotion chasers. 

Was looking at Skolars as being the next away win but that will be a tough ask now with the way they have improved.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Rochdale v Cornwall doesn't seem to be on OurLeague this afternoon. Does anyone know why?

Rumour has it, that it has been prevented by the Rochadale club.They may,of course,blame the soccer club,but it is possibly due to the belief that it may impact on the attendance.

I am just frustrated that yet again,rugby league fans are fed untruths.I can go to politics for that!

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36666/all-cornwall-rlfc-league-matches-to-be-shown-on-our-league-in-2022

Not true,then.Not ALL.

• Like 1