Fri 12-Sun 14 Aug: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

Fax game was never in doubt. 🤣 In fairness I thought Sheffield had a real dig and they look good with the ball but fragile in defense. The first half everything that could go wrong for Fax did seem to but in the 2nd half we got it together and showed good character to come back and win the game. Corey Aston was our player of the match and considering that he has been on loan for a number of weeks at Sheffield now, to come straight back in to our side and come up with that performance was realy quality and says a lot about him as a player and person. With no Jouffret and JWH it would have been fair to expect us to be disjointed in attack but that wasn't the case at all and it was only silly mistakes and dropped balls that had us on the back foot a lot.

I know we have Newcastle and Bradford up next but realistically both of those at home should be easy wins which leaves Widnes away and Fev at home where we will likely have to win 1 of those 2 to clinch 3rd and what will have been a really good season for us and with most of the squad signed up for next season I must say Im quite excited about next year especially if Leigh do go up.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fax game was never in doubt. 🤣 In fairness I thought Sheffield had a real dig and they look good with the ball but fragile in defense. The first half everything that could go wrong for Fax did seem to but in the 2nd half we got it together and showed good character to come back and win the game. Corey Aston was our player of the match and considering that he has been on loan for a number of weeks at Sheffield now, to come straight back in to our side and come up with that performance was realy quality and says a lot about him as a player and person. With no Jouffret and JWH it would have been fair to expect us to be disjointed in attack but that wasn't the case at all and it was only silly mistakes and dropped balls that had us on the back foot a lot.

I know we have Newcastle and Bradford up next but realistically both of those at home should be easy wins which leaves Widnes away and Fev at home where we will likely have to win 1 of those 2 to clinch 3rd and what will have been a really good season for us and with most of the squad signed up for next season I must say Im quite excited about next year especially if Leigh do go up.

What did you think to the ground ? I followed the sat nav and ended up parking in a stupid place and with no signposts in place nearly missed the kick off . I wish I’d have sat down as my view wasn’t great , did get to hear tangata kicking off from the bench , he was constantly on to walmsey to talk . The one where walmsey let it bounce was saltys fault as he told him ‘ time ‘ then ‘ leave it ‘ funny what you hear when so close to the pitch .

1 hour ago, Rockingchair said:

What did you think to the ground ? I followed the sat nav and ended up parking in a stupid place and with no signposts in place nearly missed the kick off . I wish I’d have sat down as my view wasn’t great , did get to hear tangata kicking off from the bench , he was constantly on to walmsey to talk . The one where walmsey let it bounce was saltys fault as he told him ‘ time ‘ then ‘ leave it ‘ funny what you hear when so close to the pitch .

I visted a few months ago when we played there having been been a couple of times previously to the 'old' legacy park.

I must admit to be massively underwhelmed.  All the hullabaloo about a 'New' stadium when in effect is a stand with 3 blocks holding 750 ish and a new toilet block and tea hut.   No terracing,  No scoreboard, no sound system.

Interested if u witnessed any further work being completed when u were there last night.

Plenty of potential for a decent little ground if any futher depevelpent is even planned,?

Edited by Ragingbull
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

I visted a few months ago when we played there having been been a couple of times previously to the 'old' legacy park.

I must admit to be massively underwhelmed.  All the hullabaloo about a 'New' stadium when in effect is a stand with 3 blocks holding 750 ish and a new toilet block and tea hut.   No terracing,  No scoreboard, no sound system.

Interested if u witnessed any further work being completed when u were there last night.

Plenty of potential for a decent little ground if any futher depevelpent is even planned,?

Didn’t see much going on , the pitch is fine , not sure about the floodlights , I was stood by the dugouts as I thought the choice of views wasn’t great I thought I’m gonna have a nosy at what’s said in the dugouts ( mrs’ just kept commented on how big larroyers legs were ( alright luv calm down ) . I’ve tried to visit a few away grounds this year , done Sheffield, York , Batley , dewsbury and Newcastle, went to Salford preseason, I’d say York was the best but there fans are a bit quiet , credit to the Sheffield fans who sung most of the game . Sheffield I suppose as potential ( need to sort there beers out ) warm beer is always a big no no .  I seem to remember the food and beer was decent at Newcastle. It’s very rare I get to drink at games as I’m always driving ( mrs’ can’t drive ) I think my best day out was last year when I caught the bus to Halifax ( live in hudds now) and went to the piece hall and then the glass arcade then the three pigeons ( osset brewery pub ) like I say the Sheffield ground was ok but felt like I was at an amateur game spectator wise .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rockingchair said:

I think its developing in to a good little ground. I like the idea of sitting down on the grass verge but probably would not feel like that in colder weather. Parking wise we just park where we always have done when it were the Don Valley so just a couple of minutes walk to the ground.
On the "time" call, yeah we heard it as well, it certainly wasn't Salty's best half after last week as his dropped bomb lead to a Sheffield try as well as the silly pass just before the half that Sheffield also ended up scoring from. Second half he was so much better but I will be glad when JWH is back and he looked pretty mobile down by the bench so at least we know its not a tear.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rockingchair said:

Didn’t see much going on , the pitch is fine , not sure about the floodlights , I was stood by the dugouts as I thought the choice of views wasn’t great I thought I’m gonna have a nosy at what’s said in the dugouts ( mrs’ just kept commented on how big larroyers legs were ( alright luv calm down ) . I’ve tried to visit a few away grounds this year , done Sheffield, York , Batley , dewsbury and Newcastle, went to Salford preseason, I’d say York was the best but there fans are a bit quiet , credit to the Sheffield fans who sung most of the game . Sheffield I suppose as potential ( need to sort there beers out ) warm beer is always a big no no .  I seem to remember the food and beer was decent at Newcastle. It’s very rare I get to drink at games as I’m always driving ( mrs’ can’t drive ) I think my best day out was last year when I caught the bus to Halifax ( live in hudds now) and went to the piece hall and then the glass arcade then the three pigeons ( osset brewery pub ) like I say the Sheffield ground was ok but felt like I was at an amateur game spectator wise .

Yeah those floodlights were not great and it did have a bit of a training pitch feel to it when it started to get darker. Its a nice little ground and although they are not suddenly going to get 3k coming through the doors it will be fine for Sheffield.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2022 at 09:14, The Blues Ox said:

If Leigh do go up, do you not see as much as a threat from the team that comes down being either Toulouse or Wakey? And what do you think the future holds for either of those two if they are the team relegated, I can't see Toulouse losing to many players especially the French Lads albeit one or two of the older 'imports' may have done their time, Wakey maybe somewhat different in that a few of their players may move on, and as for Fev I think that their stratergy of 'experience but old' has somewhat backfired - albeit if they do reach the final they may be capable of a one off game surprise, all dependent on who they have fit and available - but I should imagine they will need to do sone serious rebuilding next season, if they do not get promoted the Championship needs a strong Fev team and I hope they can muster one but the likes of Cuthbertson at present 37, Ferris 36, Lockwood 36, Moors 36, Kopczak 35, may well be surplus to requirement plus Hall will be 35 next season, Ford 34, Lefeo 33, Kheirallah 33 it is a daunting job ahead for them - whichever division they are in SL or Championship.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If Leigh do go up, do you not see as much as a threat from the team that comes down being either Toulouse or Wakey? And what do you think the future holds for either of those two if they are the team relegated, I can't see Toulouse losing to many players especially the French Lads albeit one or two of the older 'imports' may have done their time, Wakey maybe somewhat different in that a few of their players may move on, and as for Fev I think that their stratergy of 'experience but old' has somewhat backfired - albeit if they do reach the final they may be capable of a one off game surprise, all dependent on who they have fit and available - but I should imagine they will need to do sone serious rebuilding next season, if they do not get promoted the Championship needs a strong Fev team and I hope they can muster one but the likes of Cuthbertson at present 37, Ferris 36, Lockwood 36, Moors 36, Kopczak 35, may well be surplus to requirement plus Hall will be 35 next season, Ford 34, Lefeo 33, Kheirallah 33 it is a daunting job ahead for them - whichever division they are in SL or Championship.

Talk about Dad's Army lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Talk about Dad's Army lol.

I can't for the life of me understand why an expierenced coach such as McDermott can not see that as player's age they succumb to more injuries and then the recovery time takes longer, his 'mentor' Nobby Noble did exactly the same at Salford and that backfired drastically, or it could be that he thought Peacock, Kyley Leuluia and Sinfield did exceptionally well at Leeds for him, so it could work again!

What's your opinion Rover (and any other Fev fan) of McDermott's strategy's in his time at POR, if they don't get promoted will he still be there next season, or am I doing him a big disservice in that someone else at the club has provided him with the playing roster?

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

If Wakey come down then I think we are in for a really good Championship season as I think they would be a basket case without the sky money where as Toulouse I would expect to be really strong, not as strong as Leigh though, so there is always the chance of an upset.  Natural progression for Fax would be to compete for 2nd place next season and fingers crossed I think we are only 2 or 3 signings off doing that.

• Like 4

I expected a LOT when we got McDermott but he comes across as it's HIS WAY or no way.He's let players go out on loan when they were needed here and brought far too many old players I like as been stated. Anyone can see the difference since he arrived and it isn't for the better. We won't go up and he won't be here next year,i  don't expect 40,50 or 60 every game but I'd like to see some flowing rugby like last season but we've gone backwards  imo.

Edited by Fevrover
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

If Wakey come down then I think we are in for a really good Championship season as I think they would be a basket case without the sky money where as Toulouse I would expect to be really strong, not as strong as Leigh though, so there is always the chance of an upset.  Natural progression for Fax would be to compete for 2nd place next season and fingers crossed I think we are only 2 or 3 signings off doing that.

Wakey won't come down, TO simply not good enough and that will save Wakefield. 

• Like 3

Whitehaven 6 Widnes 12 HT. Quite a long first half due to some head injuries. Good game in the heat, Widnes have been well on top, but had a couple of tries disallowed so it's still pretty even. Haven's try came from a nicely worked set move from a scrum. Dion Aiye and Nikau Williams the pick of the players for the home team.

9 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Batley have the slope in their favour in the second half, but I am not sure they have enough to overcome a 6-18 deficit. 

Barrow on the Batley line as the HT hooter went, That missed opportunity could be decisive….

Miludi over yesssss 6-24