Fri 12-Sun 14 Aug: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

4 minutes ago, mickmike wilson said:

Barrow in again 👏👏👏👏

Well played Barrow. Tremendous performance. Having succumbed to Halifax reasonably comfortably, and having stuttered against Sheffield, Batley have gone...  Fine effort this seasons from the Bulldogs, but I fear they are coming up short of the top 4 here.

Edited by Northern Eel

Haven score under the posts, in spite of Williams being in the sin bin. Great try from King, who Widnes have struggled to contain so far in the second half. 12-14 with about 20 minutes to go.

The battle for 4th, 5th and 6th between York, Batley and Barrow looks very tight based on remaining fixtures, I honestly couldn't call it. 

If we (Barrow) beat Fev next week I think it puts us favourites as the other 2 have to play Leigh away and I'd fancy us to win away at Newcastle and London plus beat Dewsbury at home. 

I think Fax are just a level above at 3rd and will beat whoever finishes 6th comfortably. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Barrow must be the team of the season and their coach the coach of the season, totally dominated Batley on their own turf and sealed their playoff place with 4 games remaining. 

The impressive thing for me is that 11 of the 17 (plus the coach) learnt their trade at Barrow Island, Dalton, Ulverston, Askam and Millom amateur rugby league clubs all based in the area. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Credit Barra they’ve done outstandingly well this season . They knew the score and what was required and had the set up sorted out to deliver it . They’re getting their rewards 

Should be a cracker next week when we come to town,decent crowd and can't see it being a blow out score this time.

15 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Much improved performance from Fev. Defence looked solid and the ruthlessness in attack is back. 

Getting ready for the inevitable match at the LSV David?

No disrespect but with todays game Dewsbury have shipped in 848 points this season, and scored only 291 it would have been not so good for the defence if they didn't look solid.

Edited by Harry Stottle

39 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Interesting statistic, Barrow are now one of only 3 teams to guarantee a playoff birth in their promotion year to the Championship. Only Toronto and Toulouse have previously achieved this. 

So York third in the table in 2019 their promotion year does not count then ?.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Interesting statistic, Barrow are now one of only 3 teams to guarantee a playoff birth in their promotion year to the Championship. Only Toronto and Toulouse have previously achieved this. 

Sheffield 2007.

Or are we not counting that because the Championship had a different name then and your statistic wouldn't be quite as impressive?

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

37 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

So York third in the table in 2019 their promotion year does not count then ?.

Calm down, I could be wrong but it was a stat given out at the end of the game. Did these other teams guarantee their top 6 place with over a month to go? That's what I meant to say. 

I don't know and wouldn't be too bothered if proven wrong. 

Edited by Johnny Ringo
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3-4 is looking really close now but 2 wins from 4 should be enough for Fax now and with Newcastle and Bradford still to play at home we should manage that which might give us the luxury of resting players in our last home game of the season against Fev in preperation of going to Fev in the playoffs. You would not have thought a couple of weeks back that Batley might end up 6th but that is looking possible at the moment and those play off games are going to be tough.

Also nice to hear in his interview after Friday's game Mark Aston calling Halifax snakes. What a sad little man that guy is, he might be right though saying that fax are only where they are because they cited a couple of Sheffield players after the last game they played against each other. 

• Like 1

Barrow was a steal on the coupon with 12 start. Put a lump on them and Keighley. Kerching. 

Looks like fax for third and who would want to play Barrow ?  The unpredictable nature of their team and the speed of Ritson really means their is more to the Champ than just Leyth and Fev. 

The play offs should be belting. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Barrow was a steal on the coupon with 12 start. Put a lump on them and Keighley. Kerching. 

Looks like fax for third and who would want to play Barrow ?  The unpredictable nature of their team and the speed of Ritson really means their is more to the Champ than just Leyth and Fev. 

The play offs should be belting. 

Id love for Fax to play Barrow again would be a pretty feisty clash after last time. I'd also love to see Ritson in person to see what the hype is about as Im not sure he played in the last game against us. 😉