Sun 14 Aug: SL: Wakefield Trinity v Wigan Warriors KO 15:00

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/22 at 14:30

3 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Well played Wakey, great result and sounds fully deserved.👏 

Now I'm sure I'm going to upset a few Wiganers here but is it just me that thinks they're overrated? Peet seems to have done a great job there but if you take French & Field out are they really that good? 

I genuinely look at the squad and don't automatically think that I'd love to see half of them in a Salford shirt. In years gone by I'd probably take their full 1st choice 13 but now I'm a bit "meh" about them.

Been saying it all season, Matty Peet is a lucky lad to have inherited French and Field.

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Been saying it all season, Matty Peet is a lucky lad to have inherited French and Field.

It's interesting that at least once or twice those two have been the entire difference between a win and a loss.

Still in the underdog stakes Wakey done good and run strong and Wigan were doing their impressions of the Scarlet Pimpernel and Lord Lucan in readiness for the Christmas Staff do! The likenesses were remarkable.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

19 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Results like this that keep us watching our teams. That nice winning feeling on way home makes up for losing.

Cheers mate Fetherstone had a great result too yesterday 👏 My Dad was speaking to his old Feath mining pals at York car boot Sat and wished us the best. Stating that it could be the end if we go down but hopefully now we are safe 🤞 When you see likes of Hood, Fifita drop out before the game and look up at the balcony to see all our stars out injured likes of T.Johnstone, Liam Key, Jay Pitts, Bill Toupou, Reece Lynne plus others we were thinking the worse. Still buzzing this morning. My wee son enjoyed it too, exhausted though but loved it. Hope we can get a 14 team SL one day with Featherstone, Leigh and Toulouse 🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This game was fairly standard stuff for Wigan away from home. Toulouse, Catalans, Huddersfield, Hull FC, Leeds and now Wakefield. All very poor performances that highlight a frailty in defence and where our attempts to play the attacking rugby that seems to work so well at home just fall flat. It shows that we still have some way to go to reach the level that Saints are at. Fortunately our home form has been so strong that we should be able to secure 2nd place and home games in the playoffs. Hard to argue we don't deserve it or that we've somehow been fortunate. Even with some of our shocking away performances we still have the 2nd best away record in Super League (although I reckon we'll be 3rd or 4th best by the end of the year).

It didn't help that 5 of our fittest and hardest working players were all missing in a game where we really needed a bit of stamina and endurance to cope with the Wakefield pressure in the heat. Farrell, Bateman, Smithies and Havard make up 4 of our 5 top metre making forwards (and Ellis is the 5th and he's not 100% fit so only came on 2nd half and played reduced minutes). Add Powell to that list in defence and you've got our 5 hardest working defensive players. We ended up playing a large part of the game with a back row of Shorrocks, Isa and Partington who between them made 76 metres combined. That's what Smithies averages by himself in a game and less than Bateman (95 metres per game) and Farrell (111 metres per game).

Did we still have enough quality to win? Of course. But that performance wasn't a huge surprise given how well Wakefield played and controlled the game once they took the lead. You need the forwards who go above and beyond to get back into a game like that and we didn't have them available.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

This game was fairly standard stuff for Wigan away from home. Toulouse, Catalans, Huddersfield, Hull FC, Leeds and now Wakefield. All very poor performances that highlight a frailty in defence and where our attempts to play the attacking rugby that seems to work so well at home just fall flat. It shows that we still have some way to go to reach the level that Saints are at. Fortunately our home form has been so strong that we should be able to secure 2nd place and home games in the playoffs. Hard to argue we don't deserve it or that we've somehow been fortunate. Even with some of our shocking away performances we still have the 2nd best away record in Super League (although I reckon we'll be 3rd or 4th best by the end of the year).

It didn't help that 5 of our fittest and hardest working players were all missing in a game where we really needed a bit of stamina and endurance to cope with the Wakefield pressure in the heat. Farrell, Bateman, Smithies and Havard make up 4 of our 5 top metre making forwards (and Ellis is the 5th and he's not 100% fit so only came on 2nd half and played reduced minutes). Add Powell to that list in defence and you've got our 5 hardest working defensive players. We ended up playing a large part of the game with a back row of Shorrocks, Isa and Partington who between them made 76 metres combined. That's what Smithies averages by himself in a game and less than Bateman (95 metres per game) and Farrell (111 metres per game).

Did we still have enough quality to win? Of course. But that performance wasn't a huge surprise given how well Wakefield played and controlled the game once they took the lead. You need the forwards who go above and beyond to get back into a game like that and we didn't have them available.

That's how "sport" works.

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

I always like your posts they are honest, but what you are eluding to in this one is you have a first team and not much of a back up in the squad, and if you don't  mind me saying especially playing the second bottom club who most probably are missing more 'first choice' selections than Wigan are, that should not be happening to club as big as Wigan especially one who brings through as many first team player's through their infrastructure as any other club.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I always like your posts they are honest, but what you are eluding to in this one is you have a first team and not much of a back up in the squad, and if you don't  mind me saying especially playing the second bottom club who most probably are missing more 'first choice' selections than Wigan are, that should not be happening to club as big as Wigan especially one who brings through as many first team player's through their infrastructure as any other club.

I after defend Harry on this. It does come accross your making a few excuses. I was at the game and like I touched on earlier on a previous post we had many players missing. Not going to mention them all again but will reiterate it wasn't a case of Wigan being poor, Wakefield were on top from the get go. We played intelligent RL throughout, had a good set completion rate and defended like our life's depended on it. There were only a few minor issues but other than that WP must be proud of what his players shown. Imo Wigan have been the best team over the last 2/3 months and won me a bit of dough to be honest, as they have been pretty consistent. Will say again it wasn't a case of Wigan not turning up or performing we out muscled them in every department and given our absentees it's gotta go down as one of the best performances of the season. 

Wow… has anyone just watched the superleague show?

The highlights literally show Hall being put into a dangerous position by Mago into a seated position and Mago + 2 others pushing down on his neck/back….

the RFL disciplinary notes say it’s ‘inconclusive’ that pressure was applied and that the trinity player ‘slipped’. yet it clearly shows Mago pulling Halls and putting him into a seated position.

How can the panel wrote that one off. It looked even worse from north stand. 

Edited by Trojan Horse

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think you do Wakefield a disservice. They are second bottom but they do have a decent team. It would be condescending to think that whatever the team we put out we should be winning. Wakefield's performances against Catalans and in particular St Helens show that they are capable of troubling strong sides. And the point I was making wasn't that we'd have necessarily won if the 5 players I mentioned had been available, but that in those conditions the players you want available are your fittest and hardest workers and best defenders. Take those out of the side and we can't really be surprised that teams can topple Wigan. We're good but still a long way from Saints and also very beatable away from home even when fielding stronger teams.

Wakefield dominated the game down the middle and controlled the game through Miller and Lino who were excellent. They deserved the win and they are capable of being higher up the table than they are. One of a few teams who just struggled a bit with injuries throughout the year. From a Wigan perspective though I just don't think it's that surprising with the players we had missing. We've got some adequate back up but we are not at the level yet where we can just beat anyone regardless of who we have missing. The goal is to get to that point but we're not there yet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Mighty Trin said:

I after defend Harry on this. It does come accross your making a few excuses. I was at the game and like I touched on earlier on a previous post we had many players missing. Not going to mention them all again but will reiterate it wasn't a case of Wigan being poor, Wakefield were on top from the get go. We played intelligent RL throughout, had a good set completion rate and defended like our life's depended on it. There were only a few minor issues but other than that WP must be proud of what his players shown. Imo Wigan have been the best team over the last 2/3 months and won me a bit of dough to be honest, as they have been pretty consistent. Will say again it wasn't a case of Wigan not turning up or performing we out muscled them in every department and given our absentees it's gotta go down as one of the best performances of the season. 

Hang on a mo Trin, I was answering to Eagle who was intimating that Wigan being devoid of some player's was the reason they did not perform as he would expect, I answered that in respect of Wigan much not have much strength in depth, and that Wakey probably had as many if not more first choice players on the sidelines, I never went into how the game panned out or as you say Wakefield's superiority throughout the game.

37 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I think you do Wakefield a disservice. They are second bottom but they do have a decent team. It would be condescending to think that whatever the team we put out we should be winning. Wakefield's performances against Catalans and in particular St Helens show that they are capable of troubling strong sides. And the point I was making wasn't that we'd have necessarily won if the 5 players I mentioned had been available, but that in those conditions the players you want available are your fittest and hardest workers and best defenders. Take those out of the side and we can't really be surprised that teams can topple Wigan. We're good but still a long way from Saints and also very beatable away from home even when fielding stronger teams.

Wakefield dominated the game down the middle and controlled the game through Miller and Lino who were excellent. They deserved the win and they are capable of being higher up the table than they are. One of a few teams who just struggled a bit with injuries throughout the year. From a Wigan perspective though I just don't think it's that surprising with the players we had missing. We've got some adequate back up but we are not at the level yet where we can just beat anyone regardless of who we have missing. The goal is to get to that point but we're not there yet.

Again as above I never referred to the game and how the teams played, I said and will say it again how you described Wigan's missing player's I merely said that they must not have much strength in depth, which I believe is quite evident that as you say they have a long way to go to catch up to Saints who's conveyer belt just seems to keep churning them out when they need replacements on the field to cover the first choice absentees.

Edited by Harry Stottle

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

How can they defend that even if true, when defenders are sited if an attacker slips going into a tackle and he puts his head into the contact area when otherwise a very legal tackle would have been made!

It's the disciplinary who have used the "slipped" term to explain away what was clear dangerous contact.

It's baffling that no ban has been handed down.

Or maybe it's not.

54 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hang on a mo Trin, I was answering to Eagle who was intimating that Wigan being devoid of some player's was the reason they did not perform as he would expect, I answered that in respect of Wigan much not have much strength in depth, and that Wakey probably had as many if not more first choice players on the sidelines, I never went into how the game panned out or as you say Wakefield's superiority throughout the game.

Exactly I kinda knew what Eagleeyepie was getting at. Wigan fans can't be annoyed on Sunday. As they said on Super League show this morning, no team would have beaten Trinity on Sunday all our players were fully foccused on getting the job done. It annoys us all when Trinity don't get enough recognition for what we have achieved given our injuries over the past 3/4 seasons, especially on this forum. Disappointed with our crowd though on Sunday just 3,900. Don't think Wigan brought a 1,000. Limited capacity being 4,800 think the players deserved better than that. Maybe it's a sign of the times to come as the energy/food bills rise.

55 minutes ago, dboy said:

It's the disciplinary who have used the "slipped" term to explain away what was clear dangerous contact.

It's baffling that no ban has been handed down.

Or maybe it's not.

Or maybe it's not.

Stay out of the sun, or maybe get a sunhat. 

9 hours ago, The Mighty Trin said:

Will say again it wasn't a case of Wigan not turning up or performing we out muscled them in every department and given our absentees it's gotta go down as one of the best performances of the season. 

They were AWOL because Trin were sooo good.

Outplayed means you go missing because your game plan didn't work and your attempts to fix it were thwarted.

The SRD and Trin results were not the giant killings they're portrayed as constantly, but good sides who can beat any in SL on their day.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I don't mind whether Mago got banned or not as it doesn't help us at all. In fact I'd rather Wigan be at full strength when they play Toulouse. It was still a clear crusher though, certainly from the North Stand. Dangerous contact, poor tackle technique and all that, just like Tanginoa.