Sat 13 Aug: SL: Salford Red Devils v Huddersfield Giants KO 13:00 (Channel 4)

Who will win?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/08/22 at 12:30

4 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Yeah a pet hate of mine is players deliberately wasting time to run the clock down. Whether defending or in possession both should be penalised. 

Another negative play I can’t make mind up about is the ‘deliberate’ knock-on; just sticking a hand out to prevent a try-scoring pass when there’s no chance of interception, just knocking the ball down. In RU, it’s a penalty and often sin bin, but I can’t decide if it should be the same in League. On balance I think RU has it right. (I know!). 

17 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Another negative play I can’t make mind up about is the ‘deliberate’ knock-on; just sticking a hand out to prevent a try-scoring pass when there’s no chance of interception, just knocking the ball down. In RU, it’s a penalty and often sin bin, but I can’t decide if it should be the same in League. On balance I think RU has it right. (I know!). 

Disagree, sorry. I think it should be allowed to deliberately knock on to prevent a try being scored. At least the player was in a position to prevent the try. And it gives the attacking team another six. A bit like a ball steal which is allowed in the act of scoring (more than one on one) but not elsewhere.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, johnh1 said:

Disagree, sorry. I think it should be allowed to deliberately knock on to prevent a try being scored. At least the player was in a position to prevent the try. And it gives the attacking team another six. A bit like a ball steal which is allowed in the act of scoring (more than one on one) but not elsewhere.

I know what you mean, as I say I’m undecided, but it is a negative play and I think that I err on the side of the attacker in this instance. If it was penalised, would it encourage the defence to make a tackle instead?  

enjoyed the game, great atmosphere in the ground. It was hot so anything the players managed to achieve is a credit to them.

few incidents I'd like to see again including the passage of player prior to Brodie being sinned binned.

32 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

28 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I know what you mean, as I say I’m undecided, but it is a negative play and I think that I err on the side of the attacker in this instance. If it was penalised, would it encourage the defence to make a tackle instead?  

A deliberate knock on is a penalty.  It's just another of the laws we have decided not to bother with.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

A deliberate knock on is a penalty.  It's just another of the laws we have decided not to bother with.

Did you watch the NRL game this weekend where one was given as a penalty, and I believe the pundits were questioning whether it should have been a binning too. 

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I seen it given a penalty today ! I was shocked I’ll admit 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Ah, fair enough, another one of those. We do make the referees’ lives difficult…

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Did you watch the NRL game this weekend where one was given as a penalty, and I believe the pundits were questioning whether it should have been a binning too. 

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I seen it given a penalty today ! I was shocked I’ll admit 

What game was it?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What game was it?

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The referee was Grant Atkins I’m sure so it must have been the Souths game 

That sounds right. It was far more blatant than anything we generally see, the defender just batted it forward and could make no claim of attempted intercept. 

Cracking advert for Super League, even as a defeated fan there seemed to be a real buzz from both sets of fans and a superb atmopshere inside the ground, not bad for two clubs who apparenty have no fans, not sure on the official attendance but it sounded and looked great in that East stand amongst the 1,100 Fartowners

On the game itself we have a habit of clawing back deficifits but today's was a little bit too far against a very, very good, fast, strong and skilful Salford side, Rowley has built a very entertaining team there, he's setting himself up nicely to be our next coach after Watto goes to Oz 😉

It didn't help that most of the tries came down our left edge where, defensively Innes Senior and particularly Toby King were very poor, on the 1st 4 tries alone King can be seen wandering about in back play somewhere rather than making the tackle/giving cover where he should have been.

Sam Hewitt and Chris Mcqueen were very good for us today i thought.

Hewitt is turning into an excellent and efficient Super League backrower

I've re-watched the game back since i got home and i will beg channel 4 to bid for the rights next time and get away from the boring efforts Sky put it, the Channel 4 product is a million times better than Sky already despite never doing Super League before.

Anyway massive congratulations to Salford on a very good win on a red hot day.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Cracking advert for Super League, even as a defeated fan there seemed to be a real buzz from both sets of fans and a superb atmopshere inside the ground, not bad for two clubs who apparenty have no fans, not sure on the official attendance but it sounded and looked great in that East stand amongst the 1,100 Fartowners

On the game itself we have a habit of clawing back deficifits but today's was a little bit too far against a very, very good, fast, strong and skilful Salford side, Rowley has built a very entertaining team there, he's setting himself up nicely to be our next coach after Watto goes to Oz 😉

It didn't help that most of the tries came down our left edge where, defensively Innes Senior and particularly Toby King were very poor, on the 1st 4 tries alone King can be seen wandering about in back play somewhere rather than making the tackle/giving cover where he should have been.

Sam Hewitt and Chris Mcqueen were very good for us today i thought.

Hewitt is turning into an excellent and efficient Super League backrower

I've re-watched the game back since i got home and i will beg channel 4 to bid for the rights next time and get away from the boring efforts Sky put it, the Channel 4 product is a million times better than Sky already despite never doing Super League before.

Anyway massive congratulations to Salford on a very good win on a red hot day.

Apart from Rowley possibly following Watson if/when he leaves you  I agree with everything that you have written.

The Huddersfield fans did turn up and support their team in numbers and cheered them all throughout the game.

As you have pointed out Channel 4 provide a much better product than SKY without anywhere as many experts.

i am really enjoying my evening meal now, and might watch the match again later on.

• Like 4

In their three most recent games at the AJ Bell, Salford have rattled in 109 points against the teams currently lying first, third and fourth.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if they make the playoffs. I hope they do because I think they are, by some distance, the most entertaining team in the competition at the moment.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

In their three most recent games at the AJ Bell, Salford have rattled in 109 points against the teams currently lying first, third and fourth.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if they make the playoffs. I hope they do because I think they are, by some distance, the most entertaining team in the competition at the moment.

That's some stat is that!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johnh1 said:

And two ‘unfashionable’ clubs creating a great atmosphere and some scintillating rugby. Brilliant stuff.

Spot on - looked and sounded great on TV. C4 complete breath of fresh air !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

26-6 Salford HT.

You wonder how Huddersfield are 3rd at times. Can’t see them doing anything in the playoffs when they are this ordinary in attack and ship tries like that.

I think it was quite early on in the coverage where Kyle Amor made the point that Huddersfield aren't going as well as they like to think.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.