Fri 12 Aug: SL: Hull Kingston Rovers v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull Kingston Rovers
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/08/22 at 19:30

Leeds should win, they're on-form and Rovers are still well under-strength despite a couple returning, but we're at home and this lot have shown guts recently so it's a coin toss for me. Should be a good game though, I'm looking forward to my sunny weekend returning to the Puerto Banus of the North!  

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Perhaps Craig could pin this thread for you John?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

20 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Leeds should win, they're on-form and Rovers are still well under-strength despite a couple returning, but we're at home and this lot have shown guts recently so it's a coin toss for me. Should be a good game though, I'm looking forward to my sunny weekend returning to the Puerto Banus of the North! 

Drop the "Puerto" and the first letter of the following word and you've nailed it.😉

Think Leeds will edge this one but hoping for a KR win as looking at the run-in Leeds on paper have an easier run of games. If Salford are to make the top 6 I think we may need a few results to fall our way after last weekend's defeat.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Two battered squads, Leeds naming a nineteen man squad and KR managing a a squad with combined squad numbers of 395. Twenty-seven rounds are great. 

It's Rugby League, even with the sanitisation effective programme it is still a high collision impact game what do you expect, I would class the players that remain in good health or should I say availble throughout the season as Lucky.

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's Rugby League, even with the sanitisation effective programme it is still a high collision impact game what do you expect, I would class the players that remain in good health or should I say availble throughout the season as Lucky.

Given we had a backloaded 2020 through the covid outbreak, a short pre-season into 2021 and then a twenty-seven round 2022 season leading into a World Cup and a shorter turnaround into the 2023 season, I would have liked to have seen common sense prevail but this is rugby league and we don’t have any of that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

Given we had a backloaded 2020 through the covid outbreak, a short pre-season into 2021 and then a twenty-seven round 2022 season leading into a World Cup and a shorter turnaround into the 2023 season, I would have liked to have seen common sense prevail but this is rugby league and we don’t have any of that. 

Common sense not seen much in RL.

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just because that is the case, it doesn't mean there arent things to reduce the risk i.e. longer pre seasons, not playing a stupid amount of games.

4 hours ago, Live after death said:

Leeds by 10, winning try to be called d forward by all rovers fans even though it will be perfectly fine.

Can't beat a bit of irony in a post.... the South Stand at Headingley can give Rervers fans a run for their money on this one!😂

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, V02 said:

Just because that is the case, it doesn't mean there arent things to reduce the risk i.e. longer pre seasons, not playing a stupid amount of games.

I well remember when 40+ games a season was the norm and for the better lads regular test matches to boot, AND most - not all - did a physical full timel job as well, but we now live in this "bubble wrap" litigation society we live in today where everything has to have an excuse and or a blame culture. Please tell me honestly do you really consider to a fit full time player who does nothing else but train and if lucky play 27 league plus cup games to a maximum of 4 more games and that for the finalists is excessive?

I can think of quite a few thousand player's from yesteryear who would have been overwhelmed to have the facilities and lifestyle of those in SL today, and just thinking about that if remuneration was adequate enough for a good number of lower division players to be full time rugby players they would most probably jump at the opportunity if presented to them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I well remember when 40+ games a season was the norm and for the better lads regular test matches to boot, AND most - not all - did a physical full timel job as well, but we now live in this "bubble wrap" litigation society we live in today where everything has to have an excuse and or a blame culture. Please tell me honestly do you really consider to a fit full time player who does nothing else but train and if lucky play 27 league plus cup games to a maximum of 4 more games and that for the finalists is excessive?

You really haven't got to grips with how different, and how much more physically demanding, Rugby League in 2022 is compared to 40 years ago have you?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I can think of quite a few thousand player's from yesteryear who would have been overwhelmed to have the facilities and lifestyle of those in SL today, and just thinking about that if remuneration was adequate enough for a good number of lower division players to be full time rugby players they would most probably jump at the opportunity if presented to them.

That was a far slower and less intense game. None of what you said changes the fact that there are easy fixes available to reduce injuries.

5 hours ago, M j M said:

You really haven't got to grips with how different, and how much more physically demanding, Rugby League in 2022 is compared to 40 years ago have you?

I would wager you didn't watch or play the game 40+ years ago everthing is so much better these days, I may just have the advantage over you, I have seen it all from 1963 onwards.

39 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would wager you didn't watch or play the game 40+ years ago everthing is so much better these days, I may just have the advantage over you, I have seen it all from 1963 onwards.

Firstly, as ever, you're wrong about what you think you know about other people.

Secondly you reveal yourself by suggesting I said anything about "better or worse" - you put those value judgements in yourself.

But only a complete dingbat would think the physical intensity and violence of the collisions isn't materially different compared to pre-SL and/or pre-10m rule. Indeed for some of the folk living in the past this is part of the problem with modern Rugby League. Denying it is bonkers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Please tell me honestly do you really consider to a fit full time player who does nothing else but train and if lucky play 27 league plus cup games to a maximum of 4 more games and that for the finalists is excessive?

Given that we have piles of injured players all over the shop, perhaps it is.

On 11/08/2022 at 08:46, Harry Stottle said:

You sod, I nearly spit my cornflakes out all over the table reading that, Hull has as much in common with Puerto Banus, as Kabul has to Henly-on-Thames.

Never heard of Puerto Banus so I googled it. I couldn't see any evidence of a ferry or container terminal or any bulk cargo handling facility. What kind of fake puerto is that?

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.