Living in cuckoo land

Remember the 90s

I am so sick of hearing that we may still hit the playoffs by the delusional supporters and media staff at Oldham. Why can’t people see reality and accept we are simply not good enough. 
We do not have the skills, determination or heart to compete with the majority of teams in league 2.

Please face facts and accept this instead of hoping we somehow make it only to be hammered at the first attempt.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Remember the 90s said:

I am so sick of hearing that we may still hit the playoffs by the delusional supporters and media staff at Oldham. Why can’t people see reality and accept we are simply not good enough. 
We do not have the skills, determination or heart to compete with the majority of teams in league 2.

Please face facts and accept this instead of hoping we somehow make it only to be hammered at the first attempt.

Thank you for helping me see reality.

I will be forever grateful.

Thank you so much .

• Haha 1

Here is my view.

We were relegated from the championship after employing a massive name who was suppose to be able to work his magic and failed. The question is would his fees been better invested in building a squad of players all signed up for 2022 as opposed to 80% of the squad leaving maybe.

Now come next month how many of the 2022 squad will be here in 2023 not many. So how do you build a culture when you lose at least 80% of your squad each year. You can't

In my opinion you need to have the vision to  sign players on 2 or 3 year deals that cannot be broken in order to build a squad with pride passion in the shirt the club and the ethos.

If we don't then we will be stuck in the bottom reaches of professional rugby league 

18 minutes ago, clifford said:

Here is my view.

We were relegated from the championship after employing a massive name who was suppose to be able to work his magic and failed. The question is would his fees been better invested in building a squad of players all signed up for 2022 as opposed to 80% of the squad leaving maybe.

Now come next month how many of the 2022 squad will be here in 2023 not many. So how do you build a culture when you lose at least 80% of your squad each year. You can't

In my opinion you need to have the vision to  sign players on 2 or 3 year deals that cannot be broken in order to build a squad with pride passion in the shirt the club and the ethos.

If we don't then we will be stuck in the bottom reaches of professional rugby league 

You make it sound so simple Cliff - perhaps replace the word 'vision' with 'money'!!

3 hours ago, Remember the 90s said:

I was gonna post the same thing in reply to Roger's post on another thread.  You can't put a positive slant on this season, it has been a disaster and 6th place is no consolation, its ###### poor.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Remember the 90s said:

Soooooo.

I wrote a post a few days ago saying we might make the play-offs.  I suppose you're including me in the delusional supporters and media staff group.

So let's look at the facts you want us to face.

Oldham v Skolars.  With home advantage you'd surely say we'd win.

Oldham away at Cornwall.  Again, surely a winnable game by a decent margin.

That puts us on 15 points.

Hunslet, currently on 17 points have to play Swinton, Keighley and Doncaster.  It's not unreasonable to think they'll lose them all.  Doncaster is the one most likely to upset the theory.  Anyway, if things go to plan, they come to Whitebank on the last day of the season with a diminished points advantage.  If we beat them, and the points difference is right, Oldham are in the play-offs.

That's not delusional, it's reasonable deduction.

I'm a man who likes a flutter.  I'd put money on Oldham finishing sixth if the odds were OK.

It might not all work out but nobody gets rich backing favourites.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Remember the 90s said:

And? So what's your answer? I've given my answer on numerous occasions. We're now doing what we should've done years ago. Focusing on the infrastructure, the behind the scenes organisation. Nothing delusional about being a positive supporter. Better to reach for the stars than stick your face in the dirt. We might not reach the heights but at least we won't get s##t on our hands. I'm with Dave on this. Where there's a heart beat, there's life, where there's life there's hope. Come on Oldham, come on Oldham.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

And? So what's your answer? I've given my answer on numerous occasions. We're now doing what we should've done years ago. Focusing on the infrastructure, the behind the scenes organisation. Nothing delusional about being a positive supporter. Better to reach for the stars than stick your face in the dirt. We might not reach the heights but at least we won't get s##t on our hands. I'm with Dave on this. Where there's a heart beat, there's life, where there's life there's hope. Come on Oldham, come on Oldham.

Great post. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dave Naylor said:

Soooooo.

I wrote a post a few days ago saying we might make the play-offs.  I suppose you're including me in the delusional supporters and media staff group.

So let's look at the facts you want us to face.

Oldham v Skolars.  With home advantage you'd surely say we'd win.

Oldham away at Cornwall.  Again, surely a winnable game by a decent margin.

That puts us on 15 points.

Hunslet, currently on 17 points have to play Swinton, Keighley and Doncaster.  It's not unreasonable to think they'll lose them all.  Doncaster is the one most likely to upset the theory.  Anyway, if things go to plan, they come to Whitebank on the last day of the season with a diminished points advantage.  If we beat them, and the points difference is right, Oldham are in the play-offs.

That's not delusional, it's reasonable deduction.

I'm a man who likes a flutter.  I'd put money on Oldham finishing sixth if the odds were OK.

It might not all work out but nobody gets rich backing favourites.

I fully agree from a gambling perspective but If we made the playoffs what is your prediction on how it would unfold? I dare say if you back the long shots you’d shove a £10 on us going up

1 hour ago, Remember the 90s said:

I fully agree from a gambling perspective but If we made the playoffs what is your prediction on how it would unfold? I dare say if you back the long shots you’d shove a £10 on us going up

If things pan out as I imagine, we're off to NW Crusaders in the first round of play-offs.  We might pull that off.  We'd be underdogs but they'll have massive hopes of promotion and nerves might get to them.  Who knows.

If we sneaked a win, we'd be up against Donny/Swinton/Rochdale followed by another trip to Colwyn Bay.  I'm up for a long shot but that's a bit too long for me.

Still, I really do think we'll accidentally grab a play-off place.

Sorry if I'm giving the kiss of death to Sunday's game.  Ha!

Edited by Dave Naylor

Nice one Jim. These are the two things that can cheer me up. Why did Frank Rothwell realise that the kind of money he has invested could have done more for the town in publicity and PR than  putting it into Latics. That amount could get us into Superleague and regular television national coverage. I await the abuse

• Haha 1

It's not just about investment, in terms of money, though is it? Just been reading about Newcastle. They're returning to part time next season. After 'massive' investment and going full time they're lying 11th in the table and Personnel have left . They've had a disastrous season . You can't rush to promotion, it has to be a slow burn. I believe, hope, we're on the right track . My dream, apart from Wembley, is that we become a competitive championship side on a par with Featherstone and Halifax, not superleague.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 5

On 11/08/2022 at 17:27, Dave Naylor said:

If things pan out as I imagine, we're off to NW Crusaders in the first round of play-offs.  We might pull that off.  We'd be underdogs but they'll have massive hopes of promotion and nerves might get to them.  Who knows.

If we sneaked a win, we'd be up against Donny/Swinton/Rochdale followed by another trip to Colwyn Bay.  I'm up for a long shot but that's a bit too long for me.

Still, I really do think we'll accidentally grab a play-off place.

Sorry if I'm giving the kiss of death to Sunday's game.  Ha!

I have read somewhere that Colwyn bay is having a plastic pitch laid and crusaders are looking to play elsewhere