Living in cuckoo land

Remember the 90s

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2022 at 23:26, Dave Naylor said:

Soooooo.

I wrote a post a few days ago saying we might make the play-offs.  I suppose you're including me in the delusional supporters and media staff group.

So let's look at the facts you want us to face.

Oldham v Skolars.  With home advantage you'd surely say we'd win.

Oldham away at Cornwall.  Again, surely a winnable game by a decent margin.

That puts us on 15 points.

Hunslet, currently on 17 points have to play Swinton, Keighley and Doncaster.  It's not unreasonable to think they'll lose them all.  Doncaster is the one most likely to upset the theory.  Anyway, if things go to plan, they come to Whitebank on the last day of the season with a diminished points advantage.  If we beat them, and the points difference is right, Oldham are in the play-offs.

That's not delusional, it's reasonable deduction.

I'm a man who likes a flutter.  I'd put money on Oldham finishing sixth if the odds were OK.

It might not all work out but nobody gets rich backing favourites.

Woohoo! Hope you got the odds you were hoping for Dave, you'll be buying the champagne in Cloud Cuckoo Land 👏🍾

On 10/08/2022 at 18:41, Remember the 90s said:

I am so sick of hearing that we may still hit the playoffs by the delusional supporters and media staff at Oldham. Why can’t people see reality and accept we are simply not good enough. 
We do not have the skills, determination or heart to compete with the majority of teams in league 2.

Please face facts and accept this instead of hoping we somehow make it only to be hammered at the first attempt.

Well well well

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/08/2022 at 18:41, Remember the 90s said:

I am so sick of hearing that we may still hit the playoffs by the delusional supporters and media staff at Oldham. Why can’t people see reality and accept we are simply not good enough. 
We do not have the skills, determination or heart to compete with the majority of teams in league 2.

Please face facts and accept this instead of hoping we somehow make it only to be hammered at the first attempt.

I was positive all season, pointless going to games and supporting the club if you have a negative outlook, wasn’t a great season by any stretch but to give some many young lads a chance at a debut, 14 I think, more than any other club when teams like Keighley are spending bucket loads and teams like Swinton and Rochdale were going s**t or bust, look how it worked for Rochdale, lost all the better players and look like having a season like we have done. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/10/2022 at 20:15, ModernYed said:

I was positive all season, pointless going to games and supporting the club if you have a negative outlook, wasn’t a great season by any stretch but to give some many young lads a chance at a debut, 14 I think, more than any other club when teams like Keighley are spending bucket loads and teams like Swinton and Rochdale were going s**t or bust, look how it worked for Rochdale, lost all the better players and look like having a season like we have done. 

Worked out ok for Rochdale with a  play-off finish to the season. They are improving year on year and the 'better players' that have been let go (not lost) were not quite up to the task of beating the top four teams! The off-field issues have been budgeted for this season and they have been quietly gathering an exciting and quality squad currently 15 players and generally improved in every position.  Of course, Sheridan, Bennion MacNally and Fui will be missed as they were great to watch. But generally, it was Matt Callands team, and the nettle of restructuring was grasped later on in the season, with Gary Thornton starting to build the base for this season.  I believe there are some quality signings to be announced shortly which may surprise a few people. Make no mistake the Hornets will be in contention again next season. Let's hope Oldham join them! The season will be a hard slog with Doncaster and Hunslet recruiting well I am not sure about Crusaders this year, but Workington and Dewsbury will always be tough. Best of Luck! we need Oldham and Hornets to prosper this year.

• Like 5