Old rugby club site

HP Beans

A bit of town history in that structure. It was the last surviving building from the 19th century jute works that formerly stood on the site. All that remains now are some sections of the perimeter wall. 

The ground's old enough as it is but the footprint is far older! 

A loop of railway from Cornmill sidings used to cross Hindpool road into the works, roughly along where the main stand is.

There's a photo kicking around of that building with the railway goods wagons along side! 

• Like 2

I found this aerial view of the jute works (from some point in the 1920s, I'd guess)

You can make out Ramsden Square and St Mary's on Duke St and Hindpool Road at the bottom for orientation.

I've ringed what became the Rugby Club/Geronimos. The footprint of Craven Park is to the left.

Jute Works.jpg

Edited by Dave W
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tec said:

Thanks for posting that aerial shot didn't realise that was the location of the Jute works, is that a pond top left of the pic ?

It is a pond and there were possibly a couple of others as well. 

I remember getting told once that the ponds/tanks were filled in with gravel when the ground was being prepared and that's why Craven Park drains well.

It gets muddy at times but generally recovers quickly because of the good drainage underneath. I believe much of low Hindpool is just clay when you dig down, so some clever thinking there! 

Edited by Dave W
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tec said:

Makes sense as the pitch does recover quick, there was a brickworks where Asda is now and I have been told a large clay pit was dug where Stollers and Matalan are now situated.

Back when Barrow was just a cluster of cottages and a farm, where Barrow town hall is now was originally called Clay Pit Lane. 

It's all post-glacial detritus down there except for Craven Park 😁

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Back when Barrow was just a cluster of cottages and a farm, where Barrow town hall is now was originally called Clay Pit Lane. 

It's all post-glacial detritus down there except for Craven Park 😁

😂I need to do some more googling 👍

• Like 1

Interesting stuff this Dave. I have a photo that was taken from a bedroom window in Clive Street in the 1920s that clearly shows the jute works and what became the Duke St, half of the ground a few years later.The ponds you refer to are actually man made reservoirs that were needed to produce the jute. Its worth noting that the jute works site was actually derelict when Barrow RLFC bought it and had been so for nearly 10 years. So what became Geronimos and in turn a a derelict shell, had been been derelict over 70 years before too! Says a lot about victorian workmanship and materials that despite everything the building endured (Fires, storms etc) the shell was still standing until last week!   I dont know if this is common knowledge but in the week after the ground opened in August 1929 a very large section of the Duke St end wall collapsed and major repairs had to take place before the next game. Fortunately the ground was empty at the time of the collapse and no one was injured. I have 2 postcards that show the very extensive damage with bricks littering the road etc and a gaping hole in the wall. The incident probably occurred due to the ground being built by volunteers and due to the speed with which it needed to be completed coupled with lack of H&S in the twenties i suspect much of the work was completed by people who were not suitably qualified including bricklayers!

Much later in 1949 during a storm the stand roof blew off completely and was not restored until the end of the season due to an insurance wrangle that Barrow eventually won.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bob Brady informed me many years ago that they had a problem with water at a particular part of the pitch. When they dug down and investigated it was a a large concrete "pond" that had filled up over the years and wasn't draining. I can't remember whether they demolished it or simply put drainage holes in the bottom but it did the job whichever it was.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2022 at 17:13, tec said:

Makes sense as the pitch does recover quick, there was a brickworks where Asda is now and I have been told a large clay pit was dug where Stollers and Matalan are now situated.

One for Mr Chairman 

Does the the club have any intentions of doing anything with the pitch??

Another couple of bad Winters especially playing those mad pre season games on it will make it look like the Ormsgill pitches 

Surely we can look at a 5 year plan the grass looks knackered & in many places as bald as Kojak 

I know the club has fund raising going on during off season on the pitch but if Barrow AFC can re-lay there pitch then why can't Barrow RL?

Players & pitch take £££ I know but like I said finance over 5-7  years then why not be brave & get it done?

Is it irrigation, water system also requiered?

Just a question not having a dig at the wonderfull work that goes on.

Back in July when we were home visiting I walked on the pitch & hadn’t ever given it much thought previously but it looked bad compared with the bowling green surface at Holker St.

Now I realise the surfaces will have different requirements for both codes but it just struck me the huge difference in quality.