Beach Rugby League - an opportunity?

Okay... I'll get it said first.

It's always cold. It always rains. Most of our beaches are stoney.

All accepted, so no need to keep repeating them.

But... Could there be and opportunity for RL to hold some beach events around the country. There are already a small number of events that take place in Wales and Weston super mare and the like, but nothing like a circuit, and they're probably loosely union.

Holding events with registered clubs and players could really help with Sport England's numbers game. 

It could also help open up a whole new set of commercial opportunities for RL.

Thoughts?

The Istanbul beach comp has enjoyed another successful year.

16 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Isn’t there a Bournemouth Beach rugby tournament?

Yes, there are a few dotted around but mainly in the south. 

Eventually someone will organise regular events up north and probably end up aligned to union.

This really is a low cost enterprise.

• Like 1

Think it would work. Plenty of beaches around the country would make good venues.

Yorkshire, Lancashire, Merseyside, Lincolnshire, Wales, Brighton, Bournemouth Devon, Cornwall, Weston Super Mare. The more opportunities for people to play and associate with RL the better 

39 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Eventually someone will organise regular events up north and probably end up aligned to union.

Lowestoft South Beach and Margate beach would be fabulous.

I have played soccer on Blackpool beach and I'm sure it would be fine for Rugby League beach football

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Not if the RFL pulled it's finger out and found the invisible man, Ralph Rimmer

Didn't we have this conversation last year when the awesome beach event was on in Turkey too? There was a poster involved with X-League who posted about a Bridlington beach competition.

• Like 2

The answer to any question like this is always: the RFL made a profit of about £2.50 the last time they didn't do a bit of a weird numbers fiddle and that was because they sacked a load of staff.

So, how is this organisation that has no money and no staff going to do this *as well as* everything else it has to do?

Obviously we are missing opportunities left, right and centre but if you can't answer the above question then all it is is more good ideas.

And we have plenty of ideas.

We lack resources.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Aye, it's a good idea. Easy to set up, small teams make it easy for clubs to enter, and the weather doesn't need to be great. I've played a korfball beach tournament in St Andrews for years in May, and it's usually pretty good weather and a great ######-up later. If a club runs it themselves, can make a good bit of cash from entry fees.

• Like 1

I know the local RU clubs run a beach tournament every year at Perranporth.

Helpful when you have a pub right on the beach with you that is used to hosting good sized crowds of multiple thousands for regular music festivals and concerts.

The perfect Cornish beach RL venue???

The Watering Hole dog friendly pub, Perranporth Beach England Uk, Cornwall  - Dog Friendly Cornwall

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The answer to any question like this is always: the RFL made a profit of about £2.50 the last time they didn't do a bit of a weird numbers fiddle and that was because they sacked a load of staff.

So, how is this organisation that has no money and no staff going to do this *as well as* everything else it has to do?

Obviously we are missing opportunities left, right and centre but if you can't answer the above question then all it is is more good ideas.

We lack resources.

Tbh, I'm struggling to see where any real costs come in to this. A couple of the current beach tournaments are organised by local union clubs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

We lack resources.

Tell me, did the RFL organise the Turkish one?

Let me answer, no they didn't.

The Turkish organised it off their own bat. Who'd have thought it?

People can actually organise things for themselves, without having to wait for Daddy to do it for them, or (god forbid) without Daddies permission.

Oh yes I get it now, they were grown-ups.

3 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

People can actually organise things for themselves

Go on then

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Go on then

My history speaks for itself.

Just as an aside, my hometown club are in the Welsh Grand Final next fortnight. 

11 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

My history speaks for itself.

Just as an aside, my hometown club are in the Welsh Grand Final next fortnight. 

Anyway, turns out daddy has organised something for you.

Wales Rugby League are a partner with Beach Rugby Wales. June event in Swansea.

Not my thing but presumably that means you guys will be involved or at least aware?

Good luck for the final.