Challenge Cup Final 2023 - Four Games

5 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

oooh, I've never done Club Wembley, but now I'm tempted

Do it. It’s excellent. 

I was probably spoiled by doing Club Wembley for a few years prior to last year’s final, so I was always comparing Tottenham to Club Wembley but it’s worth every penny. 

Edited by Jughead
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

My view on these matters shifted last year when the women's games at the Hundred were without doubt boosted by the double headers, and the women cricketers were clear that should stay until they were big enough to generate decent matchday experiences on their own. Hopefully that may not be long.

So I'm relaxed about a doubleheader of men's and women's finals if that's what the consensus of women's RL players want. It seem they do, for now and I'll watch both, like I did at the Hundred.

Adding on the kids and the sunbeds cup does nothing for me and I won't be watching that as I didn't this year. But I suppose I can't begrudge them playing there if that's what they want. I don't think it cheapens the day for a casual fan or viewer, most of whom will just be oblivious to the extra games.

The press release already shows how the game will be promoted to the casual audience: Men's and Women's Challenge Cup Finals... and I expect very little mention of the rest.              

Ask people not on the payroll.

You can do a whole bingo card on what the media-trained 'ad lib' 'genuine' comments the players and commentators will come up with in regards to the Hundred.

My favourite is when you have players who have played in front of 86,000 at the MCG saying that a half-full Oval is like nothing they've experienced before.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It's hard enough to get any attention or interest in rugby league, period.

On the BBC which broadcasts all of our planned internationals, multiple rounds of the Challenge Cup, the Super League Show and red button coverage of women's games, the 1895 Cup etc - alongside a fair few national and local radio programmes and podcasts?

We get enough attention. We're just really bad at building from it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I can't count how many times I have read on here that the Cup final needs to move from Wembley as the occasion has lost its prestige, hard to get to, we don't fil it, its in a $%@# part of London etc etc etc.

Now, it is the dream of every rugby player to play there and the most iconic occasion there is!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I can't count how many times I have read on here that the Cup final needs to move from Wembley as the occasion has lost its prestige, hard to get to, we don't fil it, its in a $%@# part of London etc etc etc.

Now, it is the dream of every rugby player to play there and the most iconic occasion there is!

These two things are not contradictory.

The players still value playing there. As would I if I was a player.

Fans are less enthusiastic because it's usually empty and not very atmospheric.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RP London said:

As said in my previous post the footballers I have heard interviewed would rather a smaller ground full than playing in a larger empty ground..

But a small ground won't be full, nowhere near, why shouldn't the women look forward to playing at Wembley too rather than the usual Leeds, Saints or Leigh or whatever?

2 hours ago, RP London said:

From a purely personal percpective..

I normally buy an early ticket for me and my son so that I can plan, did that this year etc.. but right slap bang in the middle of August? I have a wife and daughter who don't bother with RL.. until the holiday is planned etc I won't be looking at this.. 

Women's curtain raiser is a disgrace... should learn from the football.. stand alone. 

Can't imagine 4 matches in the sun with beer is ending well for anyone.. 

See it as a challenge, RPL.

All you have to do is persuade Mrs and Miss RPL that North London is a really good holiday spot in mid-August...easy-peasy!

1 hour ago, RP London said:

Really? They asked one of the man City women's players about playing at the academy ground or double headers at the eitihad and she said stand alone. Then they said stand alone at the eitihad and she said academy ground until they fill it and need to go bigger... 

Why guess... why not ask one of the players.. I hope they have and I hope its what they said.. sadly I don't trust the rfl and from what I have heard recently when women players of other sports are asked and most seem to want the sport to stand on its own. 

They have asked, and the unaminous decision was Wembley, without a doubt, even if they kick off at 8am 🙂

I agree that 12th August is a terrible date.  It clashes with the opening of the grouse-shooting season.  What a choice (and sacrifice of one or the other) I will have to make!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

On the BBC which broadcasts all of our planned internationals, multiple rounds of the Challenge Cup, the Super League Show and red button coverage of women's games, the 1895 Cup etc - alongside a fair few national and local radio programmes and podcasts?

I agree we are bad at building, but I'd also say that the only things on that list that get any sort of casual audience that could move the dial are major home internationals (last one played in November 2018) and the challenge cup FINAL.

I don't believe a standalone women's CCF would draw - yet -  the same audience if played on a different day at a different location to the men, so it will be a net positive for the women's game.

We'll see this autumn what sort of viewership standalone women's internationals get. I'm on the fence about that.        

• Like 1

It seems like the primary consideration for those supporting the idea to play the women's final on the same day is the experience of the players.

Is that the correct priority?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just an observation that the second weekend in August is the usual weekend for the Premier League to kick off.

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

And to compare, the reaction of women rugby league players today has been positive and in the past when interviewed, they’ve wanted to be part of an event with the mens game. Whatever the women of Man City want is pretty irrelevant. 

As I've said (twice now) if it's what they want then that's fine, mine and your opinion matters not (unless you are a female player) as long as the rfl have done their job and asked the question then great.. 

Is it best for the game to grow.. we shall see.

Just now, Keep The Faith said:

Let’s hold it at Dewsbury again like it was ten year ago… 

Why?

32 minutes ago, daz39 said:

But a small ground won't be full, nowhere near, why shouldn't the women look forward to playing at Wembley too rather than the usual Leeds, Saints or Leigh or whatever?

I'm not saying the shouldn't and they could do this without being in a double header.. if that will help grow the game also.. Will playing second fiddle to the men grow the game? Will there be as many people there for the game as a second fiddle game or would there be more there if it was stand alone???? 

We'll never know.. but I just can't see how playing second fiddle to the men will work.. it doesn't seem to in other sports form what I can tell, stand alone tournaments though seem to catch the imagination. 

35 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

See it as a challenge, RPL.

All you have to do is persuade Mrs and Miss RPL that North London is a really good holiday spot in mid-August...easy-peasy!

Sadly me and the mrs used to live there.... May not fall for it as easily!

We were there in 2019 me and the lad at the RL the Mrs, Little Miss and mother in law at the theatre... would work again but can't imagine saying "sorry we can't go to a nice sunny hotel that week we're off to the challenge Cup final and no or team isn't in it..." going down so well. Once we've booked a holiday whenever that is, then I may look.. 

36 minutes ago, daz39 said:

They have asked, and the unaminous decision was Wembley, without a doubt, even if they kick off at 8am 🙂

Have they, got any evidence? 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

It's not enough and it isn't the quality or time slots required to make more of it.

While it's treated as a northern oddity in the 21st century by attitudes from the mid 20th this will continue.

We have been bad at building on it though and that's where IMG come in.

We mustn't ever be grateful until we get the quality and quantity we deserve, unless like many on these pages we have to be content because we're just Rugby League. And that idea has far more traction on here than it should.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

12 minutes ago, RP London said:

Sadly me and the mrs used to live there.... May not fall for it as easily!

We were there in 2019 me and the lad at the RL the Mrs, Little Miss and mother in law at the theatre... would work again but can't imagine saying "sorry we can't go to a nice sunny hotel that week we're off to the challenge Cup final and no or team isn't in it..." going down so well. Once we've booked a holiday whenever that is, then I may look.. 

Aah...I can see your dilemma!