Challenge Cup Final 2023 - Four Games

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Really not sure. It's (nearly) always 3pm, isn't it? Never later that I'm aware of but happy to be wrong if that's the case.

Had a brief look. 2.30 or 3pm, though Catalans v Warrington kicked off at 3.15. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Had a brief look. 2.30 or 3pm, though Catalans v Warrington kicked off at 3.15. 

Doesn’t help that they’ve been at varying times of the year so could have clashed with something else (possibly even the Grand National at one point or another)

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I expect that'd be cancelled out by being shunted to BBC2

Nope don't think so - the Challenge Cup final has never been on BBC2. My guess is a 4.30pm kick off with the 1895 at 12pm and women's at 2pm.

8 hours ago, Scubby said:

Nope don't think so - the Challenge Cup final has never been on BBC2. My guess is a 4.30pm kick off with the 1895 at 12pm and women's at 2pm.

If it is the opening day of the Premier League and we're on BBC1 with that kick off time then we can enjoy a bit of retro Grandstand coverage as we break for football results and interviews and then come back with the match still in full flow.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Scubby said:

It's also never been on in the evening. 

41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's also never been on in the evening. 

I don't care that much anymore TBH - we get what we deserve. Those that think we are hard done by need to give their head a shake. BBC have been great for RL over the last decade in particular.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I don't care that much anymore TBH - we get what we deserve. Those that think we are hard done by need to give their head a shake. BBC have been great for RL over the last decade in particular.

If they had good negotiators, a Saturday evening could work, the BBC are more open to filling schedules with sport during summer months. 

A problem I do see is just around the fan experience, we are at danger of creating an event like the Grand Final which is even heavier drinking. We sometimes see a little trouble anyway as fans are drinking on coaches from 8am, but I think evening kick offs in London bring a bigger risk.... 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If they had good negotiators, a Saturday evening could work, the BBC are more open to filling schedules with sport during summer months. 

A problem I do see is just around the fan experience, we are at danger of creating an event like the Grand Final which is even heavier drinking. We sometimes see a little trouble anyway as fans are drinking on coaches from 8am, but I think evening kick offs in London bring a bigger risk.... 

A 4.30pm kick off that dips into the 6-7pm territory for the latter stages is the perfect slot. Still in daylight and gets probably double or more the ratings of previous challenge cups. The women's before also gives blanket BBC1 coverage from 2pm to 7pm. It is a bit later than normal but still acceptable for travel.

As you said, if we had good negotiators! I honestly think the game doesn't give a #### about ratings a lot of the time because it cannot sell sponsorship to anyone other than Fred Done. Vicious circle. 

Edited by Scubby

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I can see people being absolutely bladdered with an evening kick off in London and on a far worse scale that in the Grand Final.

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

I can see people being absolutely bladdered with an evening kick off in London and on a far worse scale that in the Grand Final.

Given that that's the market for all our big games these days then I doubt anyone at the RFL will have a problem with this.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

But its the family game innit.

Yer drunken uncle who likes a bit of banter is part of the family.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's early days, why stop at 4pm? We could get at least 2 more games in by next August.

My view is that if you get beyond 4.00-4.30pm for a kick off you become a night fixture. If that time is good enough for the FA Cup then it should be okay for the Challenge Cup.

The stuff about RL fans is laughable sometimes. They seem to be more prone to school holidays than other sports, more prone to travel problems than other sports, more prone to alcohol than other sports, more prone to every ####### excuse in the book than other sports!

Why don't we just admit we are a victim of going to the same well again and again and again rather than trying to expand our market.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It's early days, why stop at 4pm? We could get at least 2 more games in by next August.

My view is that if you get beyond 4.00-4.30pm for a kick off you become a night fixture. If that time is good enough for the FA Cup then it should be okay for the Challenge Cup.

The stuff about RL fans is laughable sometimes. They seem to be more prone to school holidays than other sports, more prone to travel problems than other sports, more prone to alcohol than other sports, more prone to every ####### excuse in the book than other sports!

Why don't we just admit we are a victim of going to the same well again and again and again rather than trying to expand our market.

The game makes zero effort to appeal beyond that well.

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

The game makes zero effort to appeal beyond that well.

And like an extended family gathering, if you make it tougher to attend half that family won't turn up. Then we blame the family members who are busy for not rallying around the family.

There was a very long thread on here that I started a few months ago. It was about creating Wembley as a whole day event for a wider market, themed with an extended half time show and parade of stars etc. Lots of other ideas were put forward but the conclusion was that the rugby then becomes an important part of the event - but just a part. There would be something for everyone reaching out to a new market.

Our answer to that challenge is wall to wall ######## matches for 8+ hours appealing to the well that cannot currently fill Wembley or Spurs. It's bloody exasperating!! I'm sure DJ Alex Simmonds can put on a mammoth 9-hour set to cover the whole day.

We deserve exactly what we get!

Edited by Scubby

Kicking off between 2.30 and 3.30 on a Saturday means it is pretty much ideal for people who wish to attend without forking out for hotels (namely the fans of the competing clubs). Pushing any later than that and it becomes a lot more tricky, and that isn’t restricted to RL as there have been plenty of (ignored) comment about it when it comes to kick off times in the final stages of the FA Cup. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1