Weather alert!

57 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

And the winters?

The original reason for the switch is that was what Sky wanted - take that away and a reversion to winter still has loads of advantages, hence it won't even be considered.

I think crowds would reduce if we went back to winter, football is an all encompassing god now, on tv 24/7, which is wasn’t before the move to summer. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

And the winters?

The original reason for the switch is that was what Sky wanted - take that away and a reversion to winter still has loads of advantages, hence it won't even be considered.

Would we lose out contract with Sky or a further reduction in what they pay for the game?

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The current situation combined with anticipated drier summers and milder winters screams out for a reversion to winter RL to be considered. I can see a host of advantages to switching back with very few downsides.

Never ever wanted summer Rugby in the first place, and actually campaigned against it for the amatuer game, but not surprised that @Davo5supports summer Rugby, hypothermia is actually an old Cumbrian word for "bloody freezing".

• Haha 1

How do the hosepipe bans affect, say, the game at Wakefield? It is a different question entirely if they cannot water the pitch.

FWIW, 30 degrees is hot but feels manageable for pro leagues who can take water breaks and other precautions. The 37-40 degrees we had the other week would be quite dangerous at any level and the effect of that on a human's body shouldn't be waved away.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

How do the hosepipe bans affect, say, the game at Wakefield? It is a different question entirely if they cannot water the pitch.

FWIW, 30 degrees is hot but feels manageable for pro leagues who can take water breaks and other precautions. The 37-40 degrees we had the other week would be quite dangerous at any level and the effect of that on a human's body shouldn't be waved away.

Yorkshire water hosepipe ban is in effect from the 26th and doesnt apply to commercial premises.  So it makes no difference what so ever

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Most grounds have floodlights so I don’t know why games can’t kick off at 3am rather than 3pm . Good for player safety and TV games will have virtually no competition from other sports so audiences will be bigger

Very little traffic on the roads too. I think it could catch on.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

My point being Sport is played all round the world all year round in temperatures hotter that 30 degrees.  They all seem to manage fine. We have a couple of days of warm weather, (some people call it summer) and people are running round like its the end of the world.  Its a bit of sunshine get on with it.

Spot on.

I have a season ticket for Adelaide United (football).  The A League season is aligned with the rest of Asia (mostly in the Northern Hemisphere) so in Oz the season is played in the summer.  On many, many, many occasions, even with a 6pm kick off the temperature has been well over 30c.  At Coopers Stadium in Adelaide there is only one covered stand so those of us sat elsewhere in the ground go home looking as though we have been apple bobbing in a hot chip pan.

So for those few days in the UK when the temperature hits 30c plus why can’t there be a defined water break after twenty minutes of each half.  Plus there are also other opportunities for a water break …. after a try is scored; when a team chooses to kick a penalty; when play stops for an injured player.  So potentially you could have up to 10 genuine breaks in play when players can have a water break.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Spot on.

I have a season ticket for Adelaide United (football).  The A League season is aligned with the rest of Asia (mostly in the Northern Hemisphere) so in Oz the season is played in the summer.  On many, many, many occasions, even with a 6pm kick off the temperature has been well over 30c.  At Coopers Stadium in Adelaide there is only one covered stand so those of us sat elsewhere in the ground go home looking as though we have been apple bobbing in a hot chip pan.

So for those few days in the UK when the temperature hits 30c plus why can’t there be a defined water break after twenty minutes of each half.  Plus there are also other opportunities for a water break …. after a try is scored; when a team chooses to kick a penalty; when play stops for an injured player.  So potentially you could have up to 10 genuine breaks in play when players can have a water break.

So, just to clarify, at times when the games are played in hot conditions there are changes to what would be the normal state of affairs in the UK to reflect that. These include making use of breaks to ensure players take on water, have a breather etc.

Just like I said in my first response?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

27 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So, just to clarify, at times when the games are played in hot conditions there are changes to what would be the normal state of affairs in the UK to reflect that. These include making use of breaks to ensure players take on water, have a breather etc.

Just like I said in my first response?

Yes you did but I was replying to and supporting the comment made by Raging Bull that there are sports played elsewhere in the world where the temperature exceeds 30c plus on regular occasions.

3 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Yes you did but I was replying to and supporting the comment made by Raging Bull that there are sports played elsewhere in the world where the temperature exceeds 30c plus on regular occasions.

Which he put up because it was pointed out that in every example people make adaptations which he equated with a call to cancel everything?

For example, in your Adelaide United example, they are following a Football Australia protocol which says, amongst other things, that game conditions must be changed to allow for mandatory 90 second water breaks in each half if the ambient temperature exceeds 31.5C.

The NRL even has a little checklist (available online) which gives a sliding scale of what must be done depending on the temperatures reached during the match.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

We have a couple of days of warm weather, (some people call it summer) and people are running round like its the end of the world.  Its a bit of sunshine get on with it.

Yes Lord Frost!

• Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Spot on.

You have to watch the A league in hot uncomfortable weather,  poor you. Watching that is bad enough in any weather. Does 'A' stand for Australia? If the letter designation stood for level of entertainment then 'Z' league would be appropriate.

“By understanding the causes of heat illness event organisers, coaches, officials, players and the general public can take common sense steps to enjoy sport and physical activity and minimise the extra risks arising during hot or humid weather. 
Understand heat index danagers: Avoid running outside if the heat is above 98.6 degrees and the humidity is above 70-80%. If the humidity in the air is so high that it prevents the process of evaporation of sweat from the skin, you can quickly overheat and literally cook your insides from an elevated body temperature.“

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Which he put up because it was pointed out that in every example people make adaptations which he equated with a call to cancel everything?

For example, in your Adelaide United example, they are following a Football Australia protocol which says, amongst other things, that game conditions must be changed to allow for mandatory 90 second water breaks in each half if the ambient temperature exceeds 31.5C.

The NRL even has a little checklist (available online) which gives a sliding scale of what must be done depending on the temperatures reached during the match.

There is no global warming in Australia, according to their leaders.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, glemiln said:

“By understanding the causes of heat illness event organisers, coaches, officials, players and the general public can take common sense steps to enjoy sport and physical activity and minimise the extra risks arising during hot or humid weather. 
Understand heat index danagers: Avoid running outside if the heat is above 98.6 degrees and the humidity is above 70-80%. If the humidity in the air is so high that it prevents the process of evaporation of sweat from the skin, you can quickly overheat and literally cook your insides from an elevated body temperature.“

Science - phoooey!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Science - phoooey

Have to hope that clubs this weekend, with scheduled games in expected 30 degrees plus conditions, at least respond to player welfare by water breaks,etc. I guess that many on here will not be on the field of play and in cooler conditions with ample fluid options!

1 hour ago, glemiln said:

Who or what is this quote from?

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

You have to watch the A league in hot uncomfortable weather,  poor you. Watching that is bad enough in any weather. Does 'A' stand for Australia? If the letter designation stood for level of entertainment then 'Z' league would be appropriate.

Hey Hawkman it’s a good job I am wearing my corset as my sides would have split with laughter 😄😄

Anyway as you had a pop at me I hope you don’t mind me having a pop at you.

You gave the A League a ‘Z’ for entertainment but you admit to watching Spurs. Hilarious, absolutely hilarious!  After many, many trophy less years surely Spurs qualify as a ‘Z’ list club when compared to Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Man Ure, Leicester, Portsmouth, Wigan Athletic, Birmingham City and Swansea City that have won either the EPL, FA Cup or League Cup since Spurs last won a trophy.  😄😄😄😄😄😄  But bless, at least you have a cracking stadium in which to reminisce about those halcyon days when you won the Southern League.

And finally I enjoy watching a club that is locally owned and not owned by a company registered in the Bahamas. 

2 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Hey Hawkman it’s a good job I am wearing my corset as my sides would have split with laughter 😄😄

Anyway as you had a pop at me I hope you don’t mind me having a pop at you.

You gave the A League a ‘Z’ for entertainment but you admit to watching Spurs. Hilarious, absolutely hilarious!  After many, many trophy less years surely Spurs qualify as a ‘Z’ list club when compared to Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Man Ure, Leicester, Portsmouth, Wigan Athletic, Birmingham City and Swansea City that have won either the EPL, FA Cup or League Cup since Spurs last won a trophy.  😄😄😄😄😄😄  But bless, at least you have a cracking stadium in which to reminisce about those halcyon days when you won the Southern League.

And finally I enjoy watching a club that is locally owned and not owned by a company registered in the Bahamas. 

All good banter eh?

Anyway definitely NOT having a pop at you, just the A league, it's poor, I've watched a few games but it hasn't got the money to kick on like the MLS. I believe,  correct me if I'm wrong,  but most Aussie soccer fans follow EPL,or Serie A, La Liga etc..so they've made their minds up about the A league. BTW love to see FIFA MEN'S WC in Australia, do you think it'll ever happen?

As for Spurs...hey we've got Contè, so Premier League Champions this season,  Champions League next year.😃