The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

5 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

To be fair, there was a genuine feeling of confidence early in the season. I'd convinced myself it was finally our turn and I'm usually a right pessimistic old fart.

I think Fev fans had every right to be optimistic early season before Leigh’s spending spree kicked into gear,I’d be surprised if many thought it was a foregone conclusion though.

I do find it strange that nearly all the Fev fans on here seem to have totally abandoned all hope though,it will come to to one winner takes all game,all the pressure will be on Leigh & your coach has a record of overcoming indifferent form to win the end of season big game.

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

They did early doors Dav, and especially after that 28 - 6 win at POR, but they and I if it comes to that was not expecting Leigh to put a squad together as good as they have.

Thanks for confirming. 

I wonder in Dav thinks your making it up as well? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I think Fev fans had every right to be optimistic early season before Leigh’s spending spree kicked into gear,I’d be surprised if many thought it was a foregone conclusion though.

I do find it strange that nearly all the Fev fans on here seem to have totally abandoned all hope though,it will come to to one winner takes all game,all the pressure will be on Leigh & your coach has a record of overcoming indifferent form to win the end of season big game.

Can't see Simon Grix letting McDermott coach us that day. 😉😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hmmm, has Fev decided that they are not going up this year, no disrespect but apart from Mark K. on good form, I don't see the other two as SL player's, Ford in my opinion never has been - and probably shared by SL clubs considering the amount of interest in him when he was out in the wilderness - and from what I have seen of Joey L which admittedly is against Leigh a team who can Monster him as opposed to other Champ clubs I don't think he would be SL quality either..

Don't know where to begin with this but what sort of players do you think Fev should be signing now Harry? We can't wait until the end of the season, agents are getting offers from other clubs and unless you have a bottomless pit of money to recruit from the NRL you can't afford to just let all your players sign elsewhere in the hope that you make SL.

In any case, Kheirallah showed enough on one leg this year to show that he's good enough to play at SL level still (and has been for many years to be fair). Ford is a bit of an enigma as on his day he is class but he can drift out of games, Leilua likewise but he is a handful and whilst I think his level these days is being a very good Championship player, it should be pointed out that the only "Monstering" when he played against Leigh was Joey making Nene McDonald look very silly on a couple of occasions, and if McDonald, whose defence frankly isn't up to the level of a good Championship team, can get a SL contract next year as rumoured, then I don't see why Joey shouldn't!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Must be tough supporting the 10th best team in Yorkshire.

Ive not been convinved by the featherstone pack although as a club they are making great strides

Quite a few old timers in that pack, but dont get me wrong it is a very decent squad

Just a touch off super league standard

Edited by The storm

1 minute ago, The storm said:

Ive not been convinved by tge featherstone although as a club they are making great strides

Quite a few old timers in that pack, but dont get me wrong it is a very decent squad

Just a touch off super league standard

Of course it's a touch off SL standard, it's a Championship squad.  It's a fantastic squad for the Championship and should they get SL funding, no doubt it would improve.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tubby said:

Of course it's a touch off SL standard, it's a Championship squad.  It's a fantastic squad for the Championship and should they get SL funding, no doubt it would improve.

Id more than welcome featherstone yes, and indeed leigh

But its up to clubs to generate their own revenue and not rely on central handouts

7 minutes ago, The storm said:

Id more than welcome featherstone yes, and indeed leigh

But its up to clubs to generate their own revenue and not rely on central handouts

It's not a handout, it is money earned by SL then divvied up between them.  If a team is in SL, they are provided funding to put together a SL squad.  If a team is in the Championship, then they put together a Championship squad.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ragingbull said:

Love hearing all the Fev fans with the "we arent going up comments". 

Remember when they beat Leigh at the beginning of the year and it was a forgone conclusion that they were going to win the trebble? 

Great seeing them knocked down a couple of pegs .

I don't remember too many Fev fans saying it was a "foregone conclusion", but we were the bookies' favourites after that early win until Leigh went on their spending spree.

What I do remember is lots of people in forumland saying whichever club out of Leigh or Fev didn't get promoted would be in a very poor place next season because they'd spent all their money on this season's squad. Wonder how those people are going to square that with the retention of those three players?

We have been scratchy for most of the year, but we have won far more than we have lost and it's still a great time to be a Fev fan, especially when we're able to drink the salty tears of the bitter fans of failing "iconic" clubs...

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Don't know where to begin with this but what sort of players do you think Fev should be signing now Harry? We can't wait until the end of the season, agents are getting offers from other clubs and unless you have a bottomless pit of money to recruit from the NRL you can't afford to just let all your players sign elsewhere in the hope that you make SL.

In any case, Kheirallah showed enough on one leg this year to show that he's good enough to play at SL level still (and has been for many years to be fair). Ford is a bit of an enigma as on his day he is class but he can drift out of games, Leilua likewise but he is a handful and whilst I think his level these days is being a very good Championship player, it should be pointed out that the only "Monstering" when he played against Leigh was Joey making Nene McDonald look very silly on a couple of occasions, and if McDonald, whose defence frankly isn't up to the level of a good Championship team, can get a SL contract next year as rumoured, then I don't see why Joey shouldn't!

Thanks for the reply Phantom, yes I know your plight only to well awaiting the end of season to make signings, but the reason for my comment was last season Fev jumped ahead of everyone else and signed a team which most thought - including me and a lot of my fellow Leigh fans - that would be winning the Championship then followed those up with some better signings, I really thought Leigh had been left well and truly behind, because it seemed you had signed what was available to win the Championship, and I would say that seems the policy for next season with these signings.

Of your comments on the three signings, Mark K I agree seems to be the best one suited to SL but both he and Jonno F have been in the British game for 11 years and never been tried/tested at SL level and Ford does not give me the impression that he could manage the rigours, pressure and speed of a season of SL, as for Joey at 31 and applying himself there is no reason he shouldn't hack it, but the version who played at the LSV in June looked out of shape and slow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

It would be a brave man who would bet against Leigh Dav especially with the game at the LSV, how is your conviction?

3 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

wow!

I'm not disappointed he's going to Keighley; I'm disappointed that he's not gone to Superleague. He's not been as good this season because he'll have presumably gone semi-pro. In the previous two seasons he was terrific.

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It would be a brave man who would bet against Leigh Dav especially with the game at the LSV, how is your conviction?

Coming from Leigh you’ll have more experience of convictions.

I haven’t said Fev will upset Leigh,I stated I found it puzzling that the Fev fans seem to have given up all hope in a one off sporting event with a coach who has pulled off similar results in the past.

14 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I haven’t said Fev will upset Leigh,I stated I found it puzzling that the Fev fans seem to have given up all hope in a one off sporting event with a coach who has pulled off similar results in the past.

Lost me with that first sentance?

51 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I'm not disappointed he's going to Keighley; I'm disappointed that he's not gone to Superleague. He's not been as good this season because he'll have presumably gone semi-pro. In the previous two seasons he was terrific.

Disappointing in away but hopefully we still have Hallas and Flanagan next year for number 9 spot.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

31 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

We all said we'd definitely lose the '83 cup final 😉

It ain’t over til it’s over. Only takes a brain fart, silly decision and a red card to swing a game. 

Leigh have won a League by a canter before, and didn’t even make the final game, so no cherry on the pie from this Leigh fan. The final will be tense. A SL place is at stake, and being at home isn’t always the best policy. 

Either way, the championship has been great this year. Fev have been great, Fax have recovered exceptionally and Barrow have done brilliantly. All deserve plaudits. I am hoping there will be a new face in 2024 in the Championship because the yo-young needs to stop. 

Whoever that is and how they respond will be interesting !

Best of luck to all 6 teams. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

wow!

I think this will be the final straw for the dwindling band of Bulls supporters

We all kinda accept that the best Academy products will be picked off by SL teams- and wish them well when they depart. But losing our current best Academy product to a team promoted from League One is a new low.

What's even the point of having an Academy - so we can produce players for other teams in the same division who don't?

• Like 2