The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

8 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Do Saints play at the LSV ?

Its a Rumour thread after all, and apparently Walmsley may be only off to Leigh should Thompson come home early. You may have misinterpreted me a little.

Speaking of Saints, will be interesting see how they go next year under Wellens. I think the competition is more wide open than the bookies say !

Interesting apologies for the confusion. As I say, I find it unlikely (and one of the reason I know Thompson wants to come back is that he misses playing with Walmsley, so would be a slightly odd merry-go-round), but it is rumour season as you say!

I know Saints have been pursuing Lewis Murphy as a replacement for Regan Grace, but Wakefield aren't interested in entertaining the possibility. We may look to ship out a non fed to accommodate an overseas winger coming in, but with non fed spots at an absolute premium for most clubs at the moment, it seems unlikely we are going to lose one of our choosing, and thus the noise from Wellens is for Bennison to get the 5 shirt next year, and going after Murphy/Davies when theyre out of contract next year. How Saints manage the 5 shirt will define Wellens first season (along with how Dodd returns, if he comes back in the form he was in when he was injured, its effectively a major new signing for us!)

16 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

The person they are desperate to bring back is British (LT).  Walmsley getting too injury prone apparently. 

Saints do want Thompson back but he's staying in the NRL at least for 2023. So if he does come back it will be for 2024, which is more likely anyway with LMS retiring and Paasi out of Contract at the end of 2023. Its nothing to do with Walmsley who definately isn't leaving anytime soon.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Maybe some waiting on IMG announcement. 

Not really.  I think you're assujming that clubs will sign a player and then rush out to announce it to the press whereas I'm thinking that clubs will sign players and then announce it in a manner that (they hope) keeps interest going over the close season.

• Like 4

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Morgan Smith confirmed Fev to Wakefield.

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

4 hours ago, DEANO said:

James ford to wakey 

27 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

As assistant coach.

From the outside this looks a strange appointment - not from the point of view of Wakefield I might add, as if confirmed they will have added an experienced and well-regarded assistant to support their younger, and  relatively inexperienced head coach. Looks a good move from Wakefield's POV.

But a couple of years ago Ford seemed to be in the conversation for every SL head coaching gig that came vacant, and when he signed that contract to the end of 2024 it looked an indication of how committed he was to York. Now after 8 years as head coach he's going to be assistant to a younger guy that he used to coach himself.

I know it's not unprecedented for a Championship head coach to go as an assistant to a SL club (eg Andrew Henderson) but this just feels a little odd to me.

• Like 1

HAll quiet ont Bulls front. Could have sworn we were to make an announcement mid week. 

Current "roster" is: 

DFJ 

Baldwinson 

Patton 

Miller 

Holmes 

Blackmore

Lawford 

Flanagan

Flanagan jnr 

Green 

England 

Gill 

Lilley 

Scott

Hallas 

Butler

Edited by Mumby Magic

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

From the outside this looks a strange appointment - not from the point of view of Wakefield I might add, as if confirmed they will have added an experienced and well-regarded assistant to support their younger, and  relatively inexperienced head coach. Looks a good move from Wakefield's POV.

But a couple of years ago Ford seemed to be in the conversation for every SL head coaching gig that came vacant, and when he signed that contract to the end of 2024 it looked an indication of how committed he was to York. Now after 8 years as head coach he's going to be assistant to a younger guy that he used to coach himself.

I know it's not unprecedented for a Championship head coach to go as an assistant to a SL club (eg Andrew Henderson) but this just feels a little odd to me.

I think Ford stumbled this year and york were fairly understated

I think he needs to rebuild his stature pretty quickly because this seems like a very strange move 

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

agree, plus never did richard marshall any good either

19 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

On the face of it yes but look a little deeper then maybe not.

Ford and Applegarth go back years, and worked together in their college RL yeas, which helps.

As eluded a new owner at York can mean changes.

Also Trinity have an elite Academy and a Reserve team that they actually take seriously. Ford will take over both of those from Applegarth, so plenty to do and a reputation to enhance. 

It’s a chance to join SL before things really change so to be there at any level must be appealing.

For me it’s a win win for Ford. 

Finally Trinity are being quietly radical, whether it will work who knows.

But the club seem to be installing a management structure more akin to a business.. Applegarth is the boss but it will be far less autocratic with a lot of areas of joint decision making. It will be an interesting place to work.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

All the above fair comments, I guess for me the thing that looks strange is that Applegarth is the head coach and Ford the assistant, if it had been the other way round it would have been less surprising.

I tend to agree but Applegarth was the one in possesion at the time. Nice back up plan if it goes belly up though.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2022 at 04:43, DG70 said:

Adam Sidlow from Leigh to Salford confirmed, underwhelming signing tbh.

A signing clearly as a senior pro to work with the batch of props in their early 20s.

Sidlow for Burke, Partington for Luckley. Seems fair. Seems positive.

On another point, looking at the last list of off contract players, I wonder where the following could go-

Robbie Mulhern, Luke Gale, Harvey Livett,.Derrell Olpherts, Brad Takairangi, Ben Crooks, Bodene Thompson, David Fifita, James Batchelor, Jack Hughes.

David Fifita has returned to Australia where he is looking for a single season deal to play alongside his brother Andrew.

James Batchelor has signed for HKR

Ben Crooks has signed for Keighley

Edited by OMEGA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WN83 said:

Jake Wardle confirmed on a three year deal with Wigan in a swap deal for Sam Halsall and Jack Bibby (Young prop, no relation to Jake). 

Huddersfield must have the deepest squad in Superleague. 

That’s a great signing. 

• Like 1