The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

2 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

I've read some nonsense on these boards over the years, but this is right down there with the worst of it.

In your opinion of course!

so what do you know that counters what I said?

Im stating something that’s backed up by his record and the opinions of players who have first hand experience working with him, what you got

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

In your opinion of course!

so what do you know that counters what I said?

Im stating something that’s backed up by his record and the opinions of players who have first hand experience working with him, what you got

His record:

2016 made League 1 play offs despite club homeless and ravaged by previous Chairman

2017 put a team together in January, finished 4th in League 1

2018 Betfred League 1 coach of the year, promoted as Champions

2019 Betfred Championship coach of the year, finished 3rd

2020 N/A

2021 1895 Cup finalists, finished 1 win outside the play-offs with no halfbacks

2022 Championship semi finalists

I too know plenty of players with first hand experience of working with him, who say he is one of the best coaches they have ever worked with.

Thats what I've got.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

A signing clearly as a senior pro to work with the batch of props in their early 20s.

Sidlow for Burke, Partington for Luckley. Seems fair. Seems positive.

On another point, looking at the last list of off contract players, I wonder where the following could go-

Robbie Mulhern, Luke Gale, Harvey Livett,.Derrell Olpherts, Brad Takairangi, Ben Crooks, Bodene Thompson, David Fifita, James Batchelor, Jack Hughes.

James Batchelor joined HKR a month ago. David Fifita has retired and his house is up for sale, so unless he's had a massive change of heart he's going back to Australia.

4 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

What makes you think Saints would be remotely interested in a player like Olpherts. They're better of sticking with Bennison or giving one of their other youngsters like Sambou a chance than waste money on a 2nd rate player like him.

We learnt last year that Bennison isn’t physically strong enough to defend on the wing. It’s why Woolf Pushed Percival and then Hopoate to be back for the Playoffs. It’s a salary capped sport if someone like Olpherts is cheap enough it maybe worth it to spend the money elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Potentially this is a very rapid and mobile back line now and so good to have full time centres instead of seeing Willie Isa play there half the year.

It looks like the best 1-5 in the league to me know. Question is can the pack and the half backs get them the space. 

5 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

We learnt last year that Bennison isn’t physically strong enough to defend on the wing. It’s why Woolf Pushed Percival and then Hopoate to be back for the Playoffs. It’s a salary capped sport if someone like Olpherts is cheap enough it maybe worth it to spend the money elsewhere. 

I thought Olpherts signed for Leeds a while back?

49 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

We learnt last year that Bennison isn’t physically strong enough to defend on the wing. 

The lads only 19 and this year was his first full season training full time. Now he's in that environment permanently it won't take long for him improve his strength & physique.

If Saints do sign a winger then it needs to be someone who's going to add to the team, not just a squad filler just because they're available. Had young winger Sambou not picked up a season ending injury in the summer i'm sure he would have played a lot more games in the 1st team this year, possibly keeping Bennison out as a winger.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

It looks like the best 1-5 in the league to me know. Question is can the pack and the half backs get them the space. 

The halfbacks should be fine,the pack especially our middle forwards continue to be a big problem.

3 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

His record:

2016 made League 1 play offs despite club homeless and ravaged by previous Chairman

2017 put a team together in January, finished 4th in League 1

2018 Betfred League 1 coach of the year, promoted as Champions

2019 Betfred Championship coach of the year, finished 3rd

2020 N/A

2021 1895 Cup finalists, finished 1 win outside the play-offs with no halfbacks

2022 Championship semi finalists

I too know plenty of players with first hand experience of working with him, who say he is one of the best coaches they have ever worked with.

Thats what I've got.

Not a lot then😁

• Haha 4

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

23 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

A signing clearly as a senior pro to work with the batch of props in their early 20s.

Sidlow for Burke, Partington for Luckley. Seems fair. Seems positive.

On another point, looking at the last list of off contract players, I wonder where the following could go-

Robbie Mulhern, Luke Gale, Harvey Livett,.Derrell Olpherts, Brad Takairangi, Ben Crooks, Bodene Thompson, David Fifita, James Batchelor, Jack Hughes.

Harvey is off to Huddersfield to join the rest of the ex Salford players.

Sidlow signing is underwhelming to say the least, didn't rate him in his last time with the club and now so much older.

Worried the team is too old

On 09/10/2022 at 19:27, idrewthehaggis said:

..................Luke Gale, ..................etc

Thats the one that really worries me. Its like the old second WW doogle bug. When you hear it comming you hope it flys by, the last thing you want is for its engine to stop and it lands on your pitch

• Haha 7

13 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Harvey is off to Huddersfield to join the rest of the ex Salford players.

Sidlow signing is underwhelming to say the least, didn't rate him in his last time with the club and now so much older.

Worried the team is too old

Think Salford are in good hands with Rowley, Blease etc, they get most decisions right and I think they will be looking to further strengthen Salford in the off season.

Edited by DG70
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Yet you use a Saints players age (19) to defend any shortcomings in his game,yet write another non Saints player off at 17,maybe the fact you use panty creaming in your opening sentence sort of sums you up.

As opposed to you who tries to twist everything. If you even bothered to read my original post on this is was in response to Saints signing Olpherts. Never once have I said Bennison doesn't have shortcomings in his game (unlike your fawning over Young just because he plays in the NRL), just that Bennison is 19 and only had 1 season of full time training, and i'd rather Saints gave him time to develop than waste cap space signing a 2nd rate winger like Olpherts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Trinity confirm the changes to back room staff. 

On the face of it it seems like some good and knowledgeable people have been brought in with previous links to education environments. 

As a trinity fan I’m pleased with this. 

Good detail in the link below.

https://wakefieldtrinity.com/blog/2022/10/11/ford-appointed-assistant-coach-as-full-backroom-team-announced/

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 11:35, WN83 said:

you also hear that King and Powell just can't work together

Not necessarily true. The rumour was that King didn’t react well to criticism from Powell after a defeat, and got off the team coach at Hartshead Moor services. What we do know is true, is that Powell has said some players have disagreed they have areas of their game to work on, and that King has said Powell decided to send him out on loan ‘to get a refresh’ away from the club.

I imagine a place like Wigan is a good place to get disciplined and fall into line, should he eventually return for 2024/5. To be honest I can’t see any club agreeing to pay the best part of his rather large salary beyond 2023 unless he turns out to be a star, in which case Warrington may well take him back. Powell was tasked with overhauling the squad and changing the playing style. If certain players pushed back against that (which we now know they did after the Carney interview) then the coach has to do something. I guess we’ll know by next season whether Powell can now turn things around.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

11 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Matty Dawson Jones to Sheffield. Pity, I like him.

Apart from losing Holmes to your club, Sheffield have retained the core from this year and added a bit of strength. They're not really title contenders but the recruitment should put them in the chasing pack in 2023.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

20 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Livett confirmed to Huddersfield, has anyone departed Huddersfield yet other than Jake Wardle? Hudds must have the deepest squad in SL for next year as it stands.

Always thought Livett had all the makings to be a cracking centre but for some reason he was shunted into the pack where he hasn’t lived up to his early promise.

• Like 1