The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

26 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Livett confirmed to Huddersfield, has anyone departed Huddersfield yet other than Jake Wardle? Hudds must have the deepest squad in SL for next year as it stands.

Levi, Leutele and one of the Senior twins have also gone. Think Ashworth as well

https://www.leighjournal.co.uk/news/23040971.leigh-centurions-boast-strongest-ever-squad-2023/

LEIGH will enter Super League as a club in a stronger position as than they have been before says Director of Rugby, Chris Chester.

The fixtures for next season’s competition are released on November 3 with the former Wakefield Trinity head coach already relishing the 2023 campaign.

“We are not here to compete, we are here to challenge,” said Chester. “It is so difficult for the sides coming up.

“Fortunately, we have an owner in Derek Beaumont willing to invest. I remember him saying he wanted to get to a point half way through last season where he was confident enough to go and out and recruit.

“He gave the green light for us to recruit pretty aggressively and that’s what we have done.

“We have got some exceptional Australian talent and alongside that in the coming weeks, maybe next week, we will be announcing some exceptional English talent as well.

“In terms of recruitment though I have got 25/26 players all ready to go. So, there are lots of things to be positive about and we are in a stronger position than we have ever been as a club.”

Looks like we may start getting some signing announcements next week at Leigh, good to see that we already have 25/26 signed up. 

In other news, Mark Ioane has been confirmed by Keighley, who are looking closer to a top 6 Championship side with each signing announcement. Really looking forward to seeing them on premier sports next year.

On 11/10/2022 at 21:45, Jughead said:

An odd rumour going around that Saints will sign Fusitua so that Leeds can keep Hardaker. 

Yeah heard that, no idea where it came from other than someone putting 2 & 2 together with Leeds wanting to offload a winger and Saints looking to sign a winger. Can't see there being anything in it given Saints have no quota spots available, and beside which they've already got their own injury prone, overpaid quota player in Hopoate 😁

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

29 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Yeah heard that, no idea where it came from other than someone putting 2 & 2 together with Leeds wanting to offload a winger and Saints looking to sign a winger. Can't see there being anything in it given Saints have no quota spots available, and beside which they've already got their own injury prone, overpaid quota player in Hopoate 😁

There’s an added rumour of Bell to Featherstone or Toulouse. 

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

There’s an added rumour of Bell to Featherstone or Toulouse. 

Given Saints posted their goodbyes to the everyone leaving yesterday, (Nisbet, Corkill, Smith, Simm, Amor, Grace and Woolf) I doubt the Bell is leaving. Always felt very much like fans just trying to free up a spot so they can subsequently speculate on signing another winger. I think if the club thought it were an imminent possibility, they would have held off saying the goodbyes until they could include Bell. But as Saints fans that leaves us speculating about Matty Russell and whether thats a better option than Bennison...

Some good pick ups in the Saints leavers though. Only Corkill is a surprise but thought he was worth keeping in the reserves as he impressed vs Wakefield. Would be a solid pick up for Championship clubs.

12 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Given Saints posted their goodbyes to the everyone leaving yesterday, (Nisbet, Corkill, Smith, Simm, Amor, Grace and Woolf) I doubt the Bell is leaving. Always felt very much like fans just trying to free up a spot so they can subsequently speculate on signing another winger. I think if the club thought it were an imminent possibility, they would have held off saying the goodbyes until they could include Bell. But as Saints fans that leaves us speculating about Matty Russell and whether thats a better option than Bennison...

Some good pick ups in the Saints leavers though. Only Corkill is a surprise but thought he was worth keeping in the reserves as he impressed vs Wakefield. Would be a solid pick up for Championship clubs.

Corkill to Leigh, apparently. 

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Corkill to Leigh, apparently. 

What position does he play? I would think Smith will also join on a permanent deal, it was rumoured pretty early in the season that he would join full time if we got promoted. Wouldn't mind Josh Simm either as a squad player.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Someone posted on the Barrow forum RC to Barrow a couple of days ago. He hails from Barrow  apparently .

Edited by Anonymouse

1 hour ago, Anonymouse said:

Someone posted on the Barrow forum RC to Barrow a couple of days ago. He hails from Barrow  apparently .

Yep Rio is a Walney Central lad though signed for Saints in his early teens and came through their academy system. Always thought he showed promise but his career to date has been blighted by injury (don't think he's ever managed a full season at any level) so could well have been a reason Saints haven't retained him.

He's a big strong lad but never seemed quite to have the pace needed to develop into a top-class centre, but good luck to him wherever he ends up either in SL or the Championship. 

4 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Is Hopoate staying? I’d be looking to offload…

… are we in the market for a winger?

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Is Hopoate staying? I’d be looking to offload…

… are we in the market for a winger?

Sadly it looks like were stuck with Hopoate for another year until his contract runs out ☹️

Both Woolf & subsequently Wellens have said openly in interviews that the club are looking at external options for a winger, but they'd only bring in someone who is as good or better than Grace was for the team, they wont sign someone just for the sake of it. They'll run with what they have (presumably Bennison or Sambou) until someone good enough becomes available. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Saint Toppy said:

Sadly it looks like were stuck with Hopoate for another year until his contract runs out ☹️

Both Woolf & subsequently Wellens have said openly in interviews that the club are looking at external options for a winger, but they'd only bring in someone who is as good or better than Grace was for the team, they wont sign someone just for the sake of it. They'll run with what they have (presumably Bennison or Sambou) until someone good enough becomes available. 

Frustrating about Hopoate. Think we’ve really missed a trick with someone like Jake Wardle who I think is going to be a fantastic player. 

Our squad is too old. In needs an inject of youthfulness in the backs, especially since half of them are always injured. Wellens has a big rebuild job on his hands.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Keighley making some good signings. Pretty much a shoe in for top team with a BD postcode next season. Hopefully they can pick up some of the Bradford floating fans who have been leaving as well.

Haha, they wish

It's been a long time since the Bulls had any floating fans. 20 years ago, yes - but it's down to the hard core now. The 2000 still left will either stick it out to the bitter end or be lost to the game entirely.

As for the postcode thing, if Keighley do NOT finish above the Bulls next season, it would be a major embarrassment, given their squad investment.

Edited by paulwalker71

34 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Frustrating about Hopoate. Think we’ve really missed a trick with someone like Jake Wardle who I think is going to be a fantastic player. 

Our squad is too old. In needs an inject of youthfulness in the backs, especially since half of them are always injured. Wellens has a big rebuild job on his hands.

Not sure why you think there's a big rebuild job. Theres only Roby and LMS imminently likely to retire, and they could be replaced by Pemberton and Delaney. I assume Hurrell and Hopoate will be off next year as well, but signing a centre with multiple non-fed spots available shouldn't be too hard - if Bennison isn't the answer to the Grace replacement, he would definitely replace Hopoate as the utility back.

The next group after that will likely be Makinson, Lomax and Walmsley, but could easily see each doing another 3-4 years before they're retiring. Obviously its hard to predict when a player has gone a year too far, but from all accounts all three are look after themselves religiously. 

We have a lot of players out of contract next year, and some big question marks mainly over our non-fed players. Paasi, Batchelor and Mata'utia are off contract (we have an option on Sironen) and would want to keep all of them. If we can't, then recruitment next year looks challenging, but if we can, I think were in a good position to have a couple of changes to keep things fresh but just rolling the team as we have done for the last few years.

We have a really strong core of Welsby, Dodd, Lees and Knowles which the team will continue to be built around in the coming years, which was the clubs focus this year (As all have signed long term contracts this year).

43 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

Not sure why you think there's a big rebuild job. Theres only Roby and LMS imminently likely to retire, and they could be replaced by Pemberton and Delaney. I assume Hurrell and Hopoate will be off next year as well, but signing a centre with multiple non-fed spots available shouldn't be too hard - if Bennison isn't the answer to the Grace replacement, he would definitely replace Hopoate as the utility back.

The next group after that will likely be Makinson, Lomax and Walmsley, but could easily see each doing another 3-4 years before they're retiring. Obviously its hard to predict when a player has gone a year too far, but from all accounts all three are look after themselves religiously. 

We have a lot of players out of contract next year, and some big question marks mainly over our non-fed players. Paasi, Batchelor and Mata'utia are off contract (we have an option on Sironen) and would want to keep all of them. If we can't, then recruitment next year looks challenging, but if we can, I think were in a good position to have a couple of changes to keep things fresh but just rolling the team as we have done for the last few years.

We have a really strong core of Welsby, Dodd, Lees and Knowles which the team will continue to be built around in the coming years, which was the clubs focus this year (As all have signed long term contracts this year).

Batchelor has just signed a new 3Yr Deal until 2025 so thats one of those players already signed up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Wellens has only been there a week or 2 weeks and theres already some unrest amongst the fan base. 

• Confused 1

On 12/10/2022 at 10:28, Davo5 said:

Always thought Livett had all the makings to be a cracking centre but for some reason he was shunted into the pack where he hasn’t lived up to his early promise.

I think he lacks a yard of pace to be a top centre. He was excellent for Salford before his injury (IIRC mainly during the period we weren't allowed in stadiums during the pandemic) and he did flit between 2R & centre. He seems to have put on far too much timber since his injury and lost even more pace as a result. If his conditioning is sorted out I think he's a good signing for Salford Reserves, sorry I mean Huddersield.😏

Swinton announced a host of players leaving yesterday, rumours are;-

Hatton and roberts are Widnes bound

Hanson off to Sheffield -confirmed 

wilkinson to Oldham 

jones and meadows released 

• Like 1

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway