The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

9 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Who predicted Leigh to struggle last year? With the amount of O/S players and money they threw at the squad they were never going to struggle.

We'll see if Lam's coaching credentials stack up this year though.... he was underwhelming at Wigan and his team won't be able to just turn up and pick up the 2 points against full-time quality outfits. Some decent recruitment on paper but let's see if he can mould them into a cohesive unit.

The general consensus on here and other social media pretty much though to the 1895 cup final were that Fev were the strongest team and that Leigh had bought a bunch of mercenaries that wouldn't gel and would fail/leave as happened in 2018. Even a lot of Leigh fans were skeptical(myself included) but Lam/Chester have proved this year they can build a team and culture quickly.

39 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Who predicted Leigh to struggle last year? With the amount of O/S players and money they threw at the squad they were never going to struggle.

We'll see if Lam's coaching credentials stack up this year though.... he was underwhelming at Wigan and his team won't be able to just turn up and pick up the 2 points against full-time quality outfits. Some decent recruitment on paper but let's see if he can mould them into a cohesive unit.

Might've been underwhelming at Wigan, but didn't he take them to a Grand Final, which they only lost at the very last play of the game?

He's infinitely more qualified than Darren Abram, Neil Jukes, John Duffy and Kurt Heggarty, who have been in charge in previous attempts at SL. We didn't just turn up and pick up the 2 points, nobody came close to us and we were more dominant than we ever were in the previous promotion season, and players did improve under him in the season just gone.

It will of course be difficult, and I'd snatch your hand off if you offered me 11th place now, but more reason to be optimistic than 2005, 2017 and 2021, and Lam / Chester are the main reason for that

42 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

The general consensus on here and other social media pretty much though to the 1895 cup final were that Fev were the strongest team and that Leigh had bought a bunch of mercenaries that wouldn't gel and would fail/leave as happened in 2018. Even a lot of Leigh fans were skeptical(myself included) but Lam/Chester have proved this year they can build a team and culture quickly.

Can you back this up with some actual proof, because thats not how I remember any of it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

So whilst I continue to pretend Leigh's rebrand is a bad dream i'll wake from any moment, here is Leigh's current squad list for 2023. Lam has gotten quota exemption, however still showing 8 quota players so would expect Nene MacDonald to leave considering the excess of centres currently.

Amone, Asiata, Brand, Briscoe, Chamberlain, Charnley, Davis, Ferguson, Gannon, Hardaker, Holmes, Hughes, Ipape, Jones, Lam, Leutele, MacDonald(likely to leave), Mellor, Mulhern, Nakubuwai, Nisbet, O'Brien, O'Donnell, Reynolds, Smith, Wardle, Wilde.

I expect first 17 to look something like this:

1 Gareth O'Brien
2 Josh Charnley
3 Zak Hardaker
4 Ricky Leutele
5 Blake Ferguson
6 Joe Mellor
7 Lachlan Lam
8 Rob Mulhern
9 Aaron Smith
10 Tom Amone
11 Joe Wardle
12 Oli Holmes
13 John Asiata

14 Edwin Ipape
15 Ben Nakubuwai
16 Kai O'Donnell
17 Jack Hughes

Ben Reynolds
Keanan Brand
Tom Briscoe
Ed Chamberlain
Tom Nisbet
Jacob Gannon
Jacob Jones
Matt Davis
Nathan Wilde

You would honestly put Charnley in our best team, I cannot think of a player that I have ever been more disappointed in, he has lost all his pace and he can't beat a man.

16 minutes ago, dkw said:

Can you back this up with some actual proof, because thats not how I remember any of it.

Here is a few i found on a quick scan through 2/3 threads

On 11/10/2021 at 14:43, The Blues Ox said:

Not sure about top 4 but I don't see them making the top 2 with the struggles they are having signing players. Fev will be a total class above Leigh next season and its just whether teams like Bradford and Halifax can start to bridge that gap. Both are spending to try and do that but the lack of good forwards available is going to restrict any team that wants to challenge Fev.

On 11/10/2021 at 19:05, Mumby Magic said:

Top six in order for me. 

Fev 

Bradford 

Fax 

Leigh 

Newcastle 

Barrow.

On 22/10/2021 at 20:04, georgeb1 said:

Think fev and Leigh may disappoint next season , Newcastle , bulls , fax and a few more could be the dark horse in 2022

On 11/11/2021 at 23:27, Johnny Ringo said:

Prediction for 2022 Season on signings and retentions so far.

1 Fax

2 Fev

3 Thunder

4 Liegh

5 Bradford

6 Batley

7 York

8 Barrow

9 Widnes

10 Dewsbury

11 Witehaven

12 Sheffield

13 London

14 Workington

On 19/11/2021 at 22:49, Tommygilf said:

Fev are definitely looking strong. If Leigh look off the pace by comparison its going to be hard for anyone else to come close imo.

The poison chalice of 2021 Super League strikes?

On 17/01/2022 at 08:14, Spidey said:

They do this every year and get the same results. Will they ever learn?

On 19/01/2022 at 16:05, M j M said:

Signing players who have been let go by other clubs due to being troublemakers just highlights some of the administrative failings we see time and time again at Leigh.

But then again, I suspect the club's name is, for myriad reasons, somewhat tarnished nowadays which probably makes player agents steer their clients away unless they're desperate. 

On 15/12/2021 at 14:11, Davo5 said:

Don’t know about the Championship being theirs for the taking,I seem to remember them doing the same after their last relegation & that didn’t turn out too well.

The fact they have a DR arrangement in place probably means they can run with a smallish  squad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

In fairness to my own comment in that thread, a ball hadn't been kicked and Leigh hadn't made many (if any) major signings of note. 

Leigh put it beyond doubt as the season went on with recruitment. Fev were blown out of the water. 

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

You said right up to the 1895 final, yet a lot of those posts are from October when you barely had anyone signed! It can be argued that a lot of Leigh's best signings ie Ipape, O'Donnell, Ferguson, Inu, Lam, still hadn't been signed when a lot of those posts were made.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

You said right up to the 1895 final, yet a lot of those posts are from October when you barely had anyone signed! It can be argued that a lot of Leigh's best signings ie Ipape, O'Donnell, Ferguson, Inu, Lam, still hadn't been signed when a lot of those posts were made.

To cover the period from pre season to 1895 cup final I'd have to scan through about 20 pages of topics. I went skipped back about 5 pages at a time until I saw an obvious thread to check(championship 2022) and scanned through. There were also many more than I quoted, but I'm hesitant to bombard with a ton of posts. I've no doubt there will be more on many other topics, not to mention the harsher unmoderated territories of twitter and Facebook.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

In fairness to my own comment in that thread, a ball hadn't been kicked and Leigh hadn't made many (if any) major signings of note. 

Leigh put it beyond doubt as the season went on with recruitment. Fev were blown out of the water. 

Absolutely and it's not really a dig at any of those posters, more of the point dkw and Salford slim were making that Leigh were designated favourites last year. In reality it wasn't until a good few months into the year when the Ferguson, O'Donnell and Charnley signings that the concensus settled on Leigh, even amongst Leigh fans themselves.

It goes to show how things can change through a season, the Salford Facebook group was mostly posts asking for Rowley to be sacked for the first quarter of the season.

14 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

It goes to show how things can change through a season, the Salford Facebook group was mostly posts asking for Rowley to be sacked for the first quarter of the season.

Dear God, Facebook... the bastion of sensible, logical & reasoned debate.😂 That place is a bigger cesspit than my undies after a good curry and a night on the lash and makes RLFans look like the annual MENSA convention.😁

Joking aside, I think the vast majority knew early on that Leigh would be far too good for the division (no offence intended to the other teams) and only Leigh shooting themselves in the foot would stop them getting promotion.

I think Leigh will stay off the bottom but I'm not willing to predict at whose expense (except it won't be Salford, or possibly Saints😉). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Joking aside, I think the vast majority knew early on that Leigh would be far too good for the division (no offence intended to the other teams) and only Leigh shooting themselves in the foot would stop them getting promotion.

In fairness I think Fev were actually favourites with the bookies for the 1895 Cup, that was the game that turned the tide in that respect. From then on there wasn't much doubt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Yes , well know more in 5 months 

1 hour ago, SalfordSlim said:

Dear God, Facebook... the bastion of sensible, logical & reasoned debate.😂 That place is a bigger cesspit than my undies after a good curry and a night on the lash and makes RLFans look like the annual MENSA convention.😁

I think Leigh will stay off the bottom but I'm not willing to predict at whose expense (except it won't be Salford, or possibly Saints😉). 

Showing a lot of confidence in your ' team ' like any other ,you get a bad run of injuries ( much like Leigh have suffered every time we've been in SL ) and you'll be in the mix at the bottom , all IMO of course , not being an expert like your good self 

All the best 

Edited by GUBRATS

Not a new signing, just an extension, but a nice bit of work from the Fev media team. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Absolutely and it's not really a dig at any of those posters, more of the point dkw and Salford slim were making that Leigh were designated favourites last year. In reality it wasn't until a good few months into the year when the Ferguson, O'Donnell and Charnley signings that the concensus settled on Leigh, even amongst Leigh fans themselves.

You’ve quoted posts from 3/4 months before the season even started when you hardly had any players,I think you’ll find there were as many Leigh supporters writing off Leigh at that time.

It was pretty obvious by the start of the season that Leigh along with Fev were the 2 favourites & even more obvious that it was a 1 horse race well before the Wembley game.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

I'm not too worried on that front. Most were predicting Leigh would struggle last year for the same reasons(a lot of comparisons to 2018 were made) and whilst we started a little slow, we got progressively better through the year. 6,7,9,13 and 14(interchange hooker) will have no change from last season so there is much less work to do than this time last year when we had about 5 players signed up.

5 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

57 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You’ve quoted posts from 3/4 months before the season even started when you hardly had any players,I think you’ll find there were as many Leigh supporters writing off Leigh at that time.

It was pretty obvious by the start of the season that Leigh along with Fev were the 2 favourites & even more obvious that it was a 1 horse race well before the Wembley game.

I've quoted posts from this time last year through to the start of the season, and many of those were in response to Leigh's signings, but in any case well done for both missing and proving my point at the same time. Funnily enough, after gathering a bunch of posts indiscriminately I trimmed them down to one per poster to try and show the spread of consensus rather than 1 or 2 posters, over half those I deleted off were your posts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

Wakey have signed Kevin Procter according to Moley in Australia. Not the way i’d have gone but there you go. 

Always baffles me why clubs across the league keep taking punts on junkies. I wouldn't have them any where near my club if I was a chairman/owner.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Always baffles me why clubs across the league keep taking punts on junkies. I wouldn't have them any where near my club if I was a chairman/owner.

Junky. You clearly don't know what a junky is, silly person. Vaping! 2017 for cocaine, lets be honest he's far from alone in the NRL at all levels. I'll grant you that he's pretty stupid to get caught on both counts, but plenty of top players are very stupid in my experience.

On a far more sensible note, if true, could be brilliant, could be dire, depends on which player we get.

He has no serious injuries so age isn't an issue. He will be one of the most decorated players in SL if not the most, so as I say, if he buys in he's a quality signing.

Finally as a Bradford fan I don't think you're in any position to question the morality of any other club, especially its owners, think on.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch
  • Like 5

On 21/10/2022 at 19:51, LeytherRob said:

I've quoted posts from this time last year through to the start of the season, and many of those were in response to Leigh's signings, but in any case well done for both missing and proving my point at the same time. Funnily enough, after gathering a bunch of posts indiscriminately I trimmed them down to one per poster to try and show the spread of consensus rather than 1 or 2 posters, over half those I deleted off were your posts.

Does that mean you @Davo5 surely not, he must have got you mixed up with someone else😉

• Confused 1