The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

1 minute ago, Wolford6 said:

From what I've seen
 - AJ Wallace and Lachlan Walmsley are good enough for Superleague

- Sam Hallas hasn't got the size or temperament for Superleague

- Joe Keyes would have to really up his defence to make it in Superleague.

For me Lachlan Walmesley got defensively  found out against opposite wingers in the World Cup and AJ Wallace looks to lightweight for a SL forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Squad player or otherwise, Russell would be my choice over Charnley.

Not arguing but I thought Charnley had a rough deal at Warrington. But I think neither is nothing more than a cheap squad filler, I would put that place for one of the youngsters who have joined the first team squad, Jack darbyshire or the other Thewlis brother. 

41 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Not arguing but I thought Charnley had a rough deal at Warrington. But I think neither is nothing more than a cheap squad filler, I would put that place for one of the youngsters who have joined the first team squad, Jack darbyshire or the other Thewlis brother. 

I would imagine Darbyshire Jr and Thewlis Jr are on an equal footing with Russell for a place. The Russell deal seems to be a bit of a player welfare thing, which the club has a history of doing. I imagine he’s on a very cheap wage in what is possibly his final year in super league, and he gets to be based closer to his family. He also gets to put his personal problems of the past behind him, whilst both the club and player get to exorcise the ghost of his unhappy exit at Warrington in 2018.

Who knows, he could do a Jordan Turner and have a bit of a Lazarus style comeback for a season? 😁

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

From what I've seen
 - AJ Wallace and Lachlan Walmsley are good enough for Superleague

Not sure about that. They both looked OK when playing against other lower division players but as soon as they came up against someone from SL or NRL level they both looked hopelessly out of their depth.

If either of them do get the chance to join a SL club they both have an awful lot of work to do before they can get to the level needed as a first choice SL player.

• Like 2

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

22 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

There will be more than one occasion this coming season that Wire will be glad they have Russell's experience to call upon other than a youngster, Powell can make no slip ups this time round or he may well find himself out of a job.

Plus on Charnley I watched him - I was going to say perform - go through the motions at Leigh last season in the Championship, he is probably the worst signing I have seen for a long time, there is only one way for him now and that is to buckle down and get his game in order.

Edited by Harry Stottle

17 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

I don't see what the fuss is about with Lachlan Walmsley, he's quick but not anywhere near Matty Ashton, whilst he seems to really struggle with any real physicality. Unless he put a couple of stone on he'd just get bullied at SL level.

Thats a funny take. Ive seen him in every game for Fax this season and although I would say that the early season games on poor pitches really did not suit him, Im not seeing many games where I thought he struggled physically and if anything he seems willing to carry the ball up in bad field position more than he probably has to and again does not get noticably dominated. In defense nothing has really stood out this season where Ive thought maybe he is a bit of a weak link especially when he has spent a lot of the season defending the same side as our other apparent weak link in Joe Keyes. Attack wise his talent speaks for itself averaging more tries per game than any player in the championship that played a reasonable amount of games.

As a Fax fan  thought Im just happy we have someone who is probably the most exciting winger to watch since going back to our Preston & Bentley days.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Thats a funny take. Ive seen him in every game for Fax this season and although I would say that the early season games on poor pitches really did not suit him, Im not seeing many games where I thought he struggled physically and if anything he seems willing to carry the ball up in bad field position more than he probably has to and again does not get noticably dominated. In defense nothing has really stood out this season where Ive thought maybe he is a bit of a weak link especially when he has spent a lot of the season defending the same side as our other apparent weak link in Joe Keyes. Attack wise his talent speaks for itself averaging more tries per game than any player in the championship that played a reasonable amount of games.

As a Fax fan  thought Im just happy we have someone who is probably the most exciting winger to watch since going back to our Preston & Bentley days.

He’s been great in the Championsjp for both his clubs,averaging a try every game takes some doing & he’s a pretty useful goal kicker too.

I suppose the jury is still out on him performing at a higher level,especially defensively going on his World Cup appearances which might be harsh given how Scotland defended as a team during the tournament.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Agree completely, the first game against Batley away he was out muscled and subsequently dropped , came back against fev in the cup and showed a great attitude and scored a brace , turned the momentum when down to eleven against York away and like you say started carrying the ball for his team and getting success as the season progressed, looks like he put 6lb of muscle on and I suspect with a good preseason he’ll be even better next year . If we sign maizen our back line will have pace to burn with walmsey, tibbs , maizen , McComb , rawsthorne to choose from complimented by strong carries from arundal and salty .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

There will be more than one occasion this coming season that Wire will be glad they have Charnley's experience to call upon other than a youngster, Powell can make no slip ups this time round or he may well find himself out of a job.

Plus on Charnley I watched him - I was going to say perform - go through the motions at Leigh last season in the Championship, he is probably the worst signing I have seen for a long time, there is only one way for him now and that is to buckle down and get his game in order.

Write off last season for Charnley as he wasn’t in a great place at Wire and Leigh took him early as a result. He will be training the house down to get a starting spot

43 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Write off last season for Charnley as he wasn’t in a great place at Wire and Leigh took him early as a result. He will be training the house down to get a starting spot

Good he needs to, even his mother and wife would have been critical of the games he put in at Leigh.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh was good for him last season and he will be good for Leigh this

Well there is only one wing spot available barring injuries, and it is good to have competition for it, but watching both Charnley and seeing Briscoe performing  for Leeds in the latter end of the season, I would say Charnley has some catching up to do just to be considered for a start.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well there is only one wing spot available barring injuries, and it is good to have competition for it, but watching both Charnley and seeing Briscoe performing  for Leeds in the latter end of the season, I would say Charnley has some catching up to do just to be considered for a start.

Do you think Briscoe plays on the Wing for you guys H? Who are your options there and at centre?

Harry Tyson-Wilson and Jacob Doyle have both left Dewsbury. Doyle is taking time away from the game and Tyson-Wilson has returned to amateur rugby.

Both have lasted just longer with the club than Liz Truss (49 days as PM) and Brian Clough (44 days as Leeds United manager)!

• Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Do you think Briscoe plays on the Wing for you guys H? Who are your options there and at centre?

First choice 1-5 will likely be:

Gaz O'Brien 

Blake Ferguson

Zak Hardaker 

Ricky Leutele

Josh Charnley

Tom Briscoe, Ed Chamberlain, Keenan Brand and Tom Nisbett can all play wing or centre as cover, assuming Nene Macdonald is eventually officially confirmed at Leeds. 

• Thanks 1

On 26/11/2022 at 22:15, LeytherRob said:

First choice 1-5 will likely be:

Gaz O'Brien 

Blake Ferguson

Zak Hardaker 

Ricky Leutele

Josh Charnley

Tom Briscoe, Ed Chamberlain, Keenan Brand and Tom Nisbett can all play wing or centre as cover, assuming Nene Macdonald is eventually officially confirmed at Leeds. 

Decent back line. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Decent back line. 

Certainly a lot better than the 2017/2021 counterparts!

2017 - Ryan Hampshire, Adam Higson, Ben Crooks, Mitch Brown, Matty Dawson

2021 - Ryan Brierley, Lewis Tierney, Iain Thornley, Junior S'au, Matty Russell

2023 - Gaz O'Brien, Blake Ferguson, Zak Hardaker, Ricky Leutele, Josh Charnley

• Like 1

Are any clubs looking at Corentin le Cam? He's a genuine talent currently without a club and the Dark Side have made their interest in him known before.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson