The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

On 26/11/2022 at 22:15, LeytherRob said:

First choice 1-5 will likely be:

Gaz O'Brien 

Blake Ferguson

Zak Hardaker 

Ricky Leutele

Josh Charnley

Tom Briscoe, Ed Chamberlain, Keenan Brand and Tom Nisbett can all play wing or centre as cover, assuming Nene Macdonald is eventually officially confirmed at Leeds. 

I take it you missed the games when Charnley took to the field Rob - I am reluctant to say play in - if I said he was bobbins that would be complimentary to him, of all the player's at Leigh I think he has the biggest improvement of all to make the early starting lineup's, I have never been a great fan of Briscoe but after seeing the games on TV toward the end of last season and taking in consideration the opposition each were playing against (SL v Championship) I would have Briscoe in before Charnley.

38 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

He did but hes a better full back than centre

Maybe, I guess it depends on what combination Lam thinks gives the best overall team. Hardaker at fb and Chamberlain at centre, or O'Brien and fb and Hardaker at centre. I wouldn't particularly argue against either selection, and can see both being used over the course of the season.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I take it you missed the games when Charnley took to the field Rob - I am reluctant to say play in - if I said he was bobbins that would be complimentary to him, of all the player's at Leigh I think he has the biggest improvement of all to make the early starting lineup's, I have never been a great fan of Briscoe but after seeing the games on TV toward the end of last season and taking in consideration the opposition each were playing against (SL v Championship) I would have Briscoe in before Charnley.

Briscoe is still a decent player, difficult to tackle! He’s just lost his pace

1 minute ago, phiggins said:

Maybe, I guess it depends on what combination Lam thinks gives the best overall team. Hardaker at fb and Chamberlain at centre, or O'Brien and fb and Hardaker at centre. I wouldn't particularly argue against either selection, and can see both being used over the course of the season.

Personally I don’t think Hardaker will last the full season with you guys, he’s due a controversy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Personally I don’t think Hardaker will last the full season with you guys, he’s due a controversy.

Hopefully not, but that's a completely different matter At the moment, he's probably the best full back and one of the two best centres at the club. Am sure Lam will have an idea on who is the best option where though.

I think we'll miss Aetkins. Much improved over the course of last season, and pace to burn.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The choices are what i think Lam will go for. Charnley has been at the club longer than Biscoe so will likely get first crack at holding down a wing spot. If he doesn't impress, Briscoe or Brand will likely take his place soon enough. My judgement on Charnley will be made purely this year with a full preseason under his belt and playing in SL.

7 minutes ago, phiggins said:

I think O'brien will get in based on his kicking game, both in play and from the tee. He doesn't have the best injury records though so i'm sure Hardaker will be playing FB when he isn't, with Chamberlain or Briscoe filling in right centre. Personally, I'd like to see Hardaker at right centre inside Ferguson for his defensive work. I'd even be tempted to have him dropping back on last tackle plays instead of Ferguson to essentially give us 2 FB's waiting on kick returns.

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

I think O'brien will get in based on his kicking game, both in play and from the tee. He doesn't have the best injury records though so i'm sure Hardaker will be playing FB when he isn't, with Chamberlain or Briscoe filling in right centre. Personally, I'd like to see Hardaker at right centre inside Ferguson for his defensive work. I'd even be tempted to have him dropping back on last tackle plays instead of Ferguson to essentially give us 2 FB's waiting on kick returns.

The problem youll have with Hardaker next to ferguson is hardaker isnt s great wingers centre, he doesn’t create opportunities for them and isn’t a great passer

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I never have Dav, never been one as long as he has a hole where the sun don't shine, full back or wing for me.

He’s still a solid fullback especially defensively but lacks the pace these days to be an effective top level winger.
Not being able to retain Aekins with his pace & link play leaves a big hole in that back line.

Edited by Davo5
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, phiggins said:

Hopefully not, but that's a completely different matter At the moment, he's probably the best full back and one of the two best centres at the club. Am sure Lam will have an idea on who is the best option where though.

I think we'll miss Aetkins. Much improved over the course of last season, and pace to burn.

Any truth in the rumour that Caleb refused to play for Leigh again because he "didn't want to play rugby looking like Bet ####### Lynch"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Any truth in the rumour that Caleb refused to play for Leigh again because he "didn't want to play rugby looking like Bet ####### Lynch"?

Ha. Doubtful but I wouldn’t blame him.

I think it was a case of English full backs being available. Plus there were rumours that he wanted to go back home during the season. Shame we couldn’t keep him. Excellent player.

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

Plus there were rumours that he wanted to go back home during the season. 

Isn't Leigh nearer to the Welsh border than featherstone? 😜

• Haha 2

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb