The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

13 hours ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

No what you want is a more experienced guy, one that Chris Chester has actually signed before. That man is Tom Lineham. He could make a BIG difference for you. Sign him. Please.

Did Chester sign him for Wakey?

Curiosity made me look it up, Chester was sacked on the 10th August '21 and Lineham signed on the 17th August '21, now I know deals are not done in a week but someone at Wakefield thought it a good idea to proceed with the deal.

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Did Chester sign him for Wakey?

Curiosity made me look it up, Chester was sacked on the 10th August '21 and Lineham signed on the 17th August '21, now I know deals are not done in a week but someone at Wakefield thought it a good idea to proceed with the deal.

The deal was done at least a month before Chester got the push. Sadly there was no going back. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

The deal was done at least a month before Chester got the push. Sadly there was no going back. 

Chester could always argue if he did coach him he would have been a better player, just saying.

But NO please don't sign him again Chris, at least not while you are at Leigh.

Very nice of Mr Beaumont to wish Caleb Aekins all the best and to congratulate Mark Campbell and Sean Long in signing him.

I will also echo Mr Beaumont in wishing Fev all the best for the coming season and hopefully securing their long awited promotion to SL, in fact I wouldn't be surprised to see Fev have a 100% win ratio in the Championship in 2023.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Very nice of Mr Beaumont to wish Caleb Aekins all the best and to congratulate Mark Campbell and Sean Long in signing him.

I will also echo Mr Beaumont in wishing Fev all the best for the coming season and hopefully securing their long awited promotion to SL, in fact I wouldn't be surprised to see Fev have a 100% win ratio in the Championship in 2023.

Even against Toulouse? 

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As much as I'd like you to be right Harry, I remember the last time a Leyther predicted a Championship club would go through the season unbeaten. Not for the first time and not the last, pesky Batley got in the way in (checks notes) round 1...
https://www.totalrl.com/beaumont-thinks-leigh-can-go-regular-season-unbeaten/

Fev were undeniably vulnerable last season despite finishing clear of the remainder in the regular season and of course didn't make the final. We're again one of the likelier clubs to be at or near the top of the table, but Long is a bit of an unknown as a head coach and we have no idea whether we can shore up our creaky defence.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

As much as I'd like you to be right Harry, I remember the last time a Leyther predicted a Championship club would go through the season unbeaten. Not for the first time and not the last, pesky Batley got in the way in (checks notes) round 1...
https://www.totalrl.com/beaumont-thinks-leigh-can-go-regular-season-unbeaten/

Fev were undeniably vulnerable last season despite finishing clear of the remainder in the regular season and of course didn't make the final. We're again one of the likelier clubs to be at or near the top of the table, but Long is a bit of an unknown as a head coach and we have no idea whether we can shore up our creaky defence.

Have faith Phantom '23 will be your year, Longy has served his apprenticeship and I am sure he will go OK as head coach, if he turns out to be half as good at coaching as he was as a player he will be right up there.

Toulouse as I've said previously on this thread are difficult to predict at this stage, they still have a nucleus of players who should make them very competitive at Championship level but they have lost so many too. Josh Ralph impressed a lot of people in the WC but he might need to be very good as Shorrocks isn't anything special. Their back 5 looks as good as anyone else's but as well as the question marks at half back their pack doesn't look as strong to me as it did in 2021 when they had Garbutt, Casty, Sangare plus a two-years-younger Hansen.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Have faith Phantom '23 will be your year, Longy has served his apprenticeship and I am sure he will go OK as head coach, if he turns out to be half as good at coaching as he was as a player he will be right up there.

I think the players will respond positively to him as they did 10 years ago and I think we'll be more fun to watch. Not really a question of "having faith" as I always do and I'm really looking forward to 2023, it's just being realistic that we need to improve hugely in defence if we are to take a big step forward from last season

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't think that's likely Harry.  I think the champ will be far closer this year with plenty of "upsets".  Then of course Batley will come along and ###### on a few club's chips.

Edited by David Shepherd
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

Even against Toulouse? 

At this moment Featherstone should be favourite to win the league, they seem to have bought everyone available. TO are too light this year, they have lost too many players and that means the new guys (and they are still very short of numbers) will need a lot of time to get playing properly. They are getting the spine of the team sorted but still need a larger squad.

TO still need to sign a couple of big forwards to make them competitive. 

I think they play Fev in June so maybe that will be enough time to see how things pan out. I wouldn't be surprised to see TO lose 6or7 games this season.

30 minutes ago, kiggy said:

At this moment Featherstone should be favourite to win the league, they seem to have bought everyone available. TO are too light this year, they have lost too many players and that means the new guys (and they are still very short of numbers) will need a lot of time to get playing properly. They are getting the spine of the team sorted but still need a larger squad.

TO still need to sign a couple of big forwards to make them competitive. 

I think they play Fev in June so maybe that will be enough time to see how things pan out. I wouldn't be surprised to see TO lose 6or7 games this season.

At this stage last year, Featherstone probably had a slightly stronger looking squad than Leigh. I suppose it’s not how you start, but how you finish, with Leigh able to sign players through the year. If Featherstone and Toulouse can add to their rosters through the year, it will be some ending to the year, yet without even mentioning clubs like Batley, York, Halifax and Barrow, who are capable of beating most sides on their day. 

I think the above comments about Toulouse are all valid but it doesn't seem that they will be in anything like the same position to recruit as the season progresses as Leigh, who had an apparent bottomless pit of money. I say this because as well as losing Hankinson to Fev they also lost out to them with Lacans, and presumably Cozza would have been on their radar too.

What Toulouse do have is a proven coach at this level and a reserve set-up, but whether that will suffice remains to be seen. At the moment they look to be behind Fev in terms of recruitment but then again last year Fev looked stronger on paper than Batley, Halifax etc but in the league meetings against those teams they certainly weren't dominant.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

I dont think Tou will spend as much as Leigh but maybe they will copy the strategy in that the team they finish with is radically different to start of season as players become available and see Toulouse are back in the mix so keep powder dry to add later in season when it counts. Provided you are in the top 2 then it makes little difference. 

The difference with Toulouse this and Leigh of last season in Toulouse emulating what Leigh did with building the squad is the coaches, Mr Lam is much higher profile and I should say better respected with far more contacts especially in the Southern Hemisphere than Mr Houles will be who will not be able to attract both the calibre and number of players that Mr Lam did irrespective of the attraction of the big city lifestyle and better climate than the dark and dank former northern pit town.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The difference with Toulouse this and Leigh of last season in Toulouse emulating what Leigh did with building the squad is the coaches, Mr Lam is much higher profile and I should say better respected with far more contacts especially in the Southern Hemisphere than Mr Houles will be who will not be able to attract both the calibre and number of players that Mr Lam did irrespective of the attraction of the big city lifestyle and better climate than the dark and dank former northern pit town.

To paraphrase Mrs Merton, it may well have been Mr Lam who first attracted all those NRL stars to millionaire Derek Beaumont's team

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

At this stage last year, Featherstone probably had a slightly stronger looking squad than Leigh. I suppose it’s not how you start, but how you finish, with Leigh able to sign players through the year. If Featherstone and Toulouse can add to their rosters through the year, it will be some ending to the year, yet without even mentioning clubs like Batley, York, Halifax and Barrow, who are capable of beating most sides on their day. 

At this stage last year Fev had a massively stronger squad than Leighin early December if I remember correctly Leigh had 13 player's signed on, if either Toulouse or Fev come anywhere near the quality of players Leigh assembled to compete in the Championship, Batley, York, Halifax, Barrow et al will not trouble them.

Edited by Harry Stottle

37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

At this stage last year Fev had a massively stronger squad than Leighin early December if I remember correctly Leigh had 13 player's signed on, if either Toulouse or Fev come anywhere near the quality of players Leigh assembled to compete in the Championship, Batley, York, Halifax, Barrow et al will not trouble them.

I don’t think either will have a squad as good as Leigh’s 2022 side, even if they bring a few in over the course of the season, which will still mean that some clubs present a difficult proposition when playing them. 

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I don’t think either will have a squad as good as Leigh’s 2022 side, even if they bring a few in over the course of the season, which will still mean that some clubs present a difficult proposition when playing them. 

I doubt that any other club apart from Fev and Toulouse will be able to strengthen their squads as much as these two are able, it depends who wants it more to gain promotion in '23. If Toulouse are hopeful of being fastracked under IMG's restructure that to me is just plain wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I doubt that any other club apart from Fev and Toulouse will be able to strengthen their squads as much as these two are able, it depends who wants it more to gain promotion in '23. If Toulouse are hopeful of being fastracked under IMG's restructure that to me is just plain wrong. 

There is no restructure. If Toulouse want to get in Super League they have to get promoted as a minimum category B club. This has been explained to you several times.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1