The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

8 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

https://wakefieldtrinity.com/langi-signs-two-year-deal/

Was on last year but changed his mind. Squad getting a little stronger now.

Good signing this, unlike last years quantity over quality. Pleased that the club showed some class last year when the lad had a change of heart rather than force the issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jughead said:

At this stage last year, Featherstone probably had a slightly stronger looking squad than Leigh. I suppose it’s not how you start, but how you finish, with Leigh able to sign players through the year. If Featherstone and Toulouse can add to their rosters through the year, it will be some ending to the year, yet without even mentioning clubs like Batley, York, Halifax and Barrow, who are capable of beating most sides on their day. 

When Elite 1 finishes TO should have a chance to strengthen later next year.  There are a couple of lads who should be good enough to play in the championship, Marguerite played in the championship before so I can see him stepping up again. Depends on injuries too. Toulouse do have more home games the second half of the season which might give them an edge. They did OK last season re: injuries, just not good enough with who they did have. 

• Like 1

Langi has been a regular centre in a top 4 team for the past 4/5 years. 

That’s a very good signing. 

There may be some shrewd signings for trinity next year. 

Proctor, Langi and Taufua on the right edge could be mouthwatering tbh. 400+ NRL games between them.

As a trinity fan I am feeling much more optimistic with last 2 signings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

There is no restructure. If Toulouse want to get in Super League they have to get promoted as a minimum category B club. This has been explained to you several times.

And will no doubt have to be explained several times more over the next few months as people continue to ignore what has clearly been said countless times. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Yes it certainly is s the backs were looking a bit thin in depth.

Also mentions he can play 6, but I dont recall him dong that . If he can its a huge bonus

I think Morgan Smith is gonna play a bigger part than some are giving him credit for. Apart from seeing how Proctor goes i think Smith is going to be key to our season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

I think Morgan Smith is gonna play a bigger part than some are giving him credit for. Apart from seeing how Proctor goes i think Smith is going to be key to our season. 

Good player Morgan, hope he does well at Wakefield and glad he 's well away from McDermott.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

There is no restructure. If Toulouse want to get in Super League they have to get promoted as a minimum category B club. This has been explained to you several times.

Sorry Gav I probably didn't put it down correctly, I know that will be the case for '24 that promotion and relegation is still the format, but isn't the intention from '25 that the IMG gradings are to come into effect, and that being so isn't it the intention for Toulouse to be awarded an 'A' grade along with Catalan with restrictive numbers on French player's? 

If that is correct what is to stop Toulouse just playing the waiting game?

Answer please.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Trojan Horse said:

Langi has been a regular centre in a top 4 team for the past 4/5 years. 

That’s a very good signing. 

There may be some shrewd signings for trinity next year. 

Proctor, Langi and Taufua on the right edge could be mouthwatering tbh. 400+ NRL games between them.

As a trinity fan I am feeling much more optimistic with last 2 signings.

Yep, your teams squad seems to be coming together quite nicely, on the other hand my team's is somewhat thinner than it was in midweek, we obviously now have a quota spot to fill but also need other bodies to bring the squad up to the required numbers to compete with the rigours of a long SL season, I am eagerly awaiting my club's counter reaction. We were told before the departure of MacDonald and Ferguson that there was still money to spend, with these two going and summising they would have been two of the higher earners there should be considerably more cash available, now it is finding the right player's.

Edited by Harry Stottle

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

t isn't the intention from '25 that the IMG gradings are to come into effect, and that being so isn't it the intention for Toulouse to be awarded an 'A' grade along with Catalan with restrictive numbers on French player's? 

Can you provide us with a link to any concrete evidence backing this up? There hasn't been any actual details released yet about what the criteria will be for an A license AFAIK, though Hull KR CEO Paul Lakin has stated he thinks only 4 teams will get an A grade (presumably Wigan, Saints, Leeds, and maybe Warrington/Hull/Catalans?)

The issue about French clubs being expected to field more French players isn't going to automatically going to give them an A license is it? I mean, you'd think regularly reaching the SL play-offs and having crowds in the 10k ballpark would be two of the criteria and Toulouse would be nowhere near on either count.

That said, I have seen people on some of the French RL forums suggest the same thing, but I reckon that's just wishful thinking.

14 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Can you provide us with a link to any concrete evidence backing this up? There hasn't been any actual details released yet about what the criteria will be for an A license AFAIK, though Hull KR CEO Paul Lakin has stated he thinks only 4 teams will get an A grade (presumably Wigan, Saints, Leeds, and maybe Warrington/Hull/Catalans?)

The issue about French clubs being expected to field more French players isn't going to automatically going to give them an A license is it? I mean, you'd think regularly reaching the SL play-offs and having crowds in the 10k ballpark would be two of the criteria and Toulouse would be nowhere near on either count.

That said, I have seen people on some of the French RL forums suggest the same thing, but I reckon that's just wishful thinking.

Yes I did say an 'A' grade when it should just have been a member of the top division not nessacarilly an 'A' but definatley having Toulouse in there. 

Now I am sure I have not dreamt up, wasn't it part of thd proposal that IMG issued and people of the same  mindset as@ShropshireBullhave been full of beans since then at the prospect of the two French clubs being "locked" into SL or whatever it will be called.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry Gav I probably didn't put it down correctly, I know that will be the case for '24 that promotion and relegation is still the format, but isn't the intention from '25 that the IMG gradings are to come into effect, and that being so isn't it the intention for Toulouse to be awarded an 'A' grade along with Catalan with restrictive numbers on French player's? 

If that is correct what is to stop Toulouse just playing the waiting game?

Answer please.

Toulouse won't get a grade A as a Championship club. Only SL clubs can be graded A.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes I did say an 'A' grade when it should just have been a member of the top division not nessacarilly an 'A' but definatley having Toulouse in there. 

Now I am sure I have not dreamt up, wasn't it part of thd proposal that IMG issued and people of the same  mindset as@ShropshireBullhave been full of beans since then at the prospect of the two French clubs being "locked" into SL or whatever it will be called.

Ok, where can you point me to something that says Toulouse will definitely be in the top division? The only thing I have seen is a suggestion that overseas clubs would be "capped at 2", and "capped" clearly suggests maximum not minimum.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ok, where can you point me to something that says Toulouse will definitely be in the top division? The only thing I have seen is a suggestion that overseas clubs would be "capped at 2", and "capped" clearly suggests maximum not minimum.

Yes agree, does that not indicate to you that the two French clubs are all but there?

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

With you here Harry. Yes I do believe that is the case. I also believe you are completely wrong in terms of your vision for the game but it is at least consistent (they can be in but rise or fall, provided you don’t start whining about a lack of French players in French squads).

What is the point of IMG demanding French clubs play French players unless it is for internationals. If IMG are doing it for internationals then IMG have already implicitly that the French clubs are vehicles for those internationals and need to be protected on top flight to make that viable. 

It would be absurd for IMG to demand they have French players to benefit International game (which the French clubs get no cut of but IMG would) and not lock them in. 

So on this I think you can either take my view (grow internationals and new markets so French teams are a lock) Or your view Harry: Sink or swim in a free for all but sign whoever you please. 

There is zero logical consistency in people who want it both ways: French players but no protection for developing them.

I am confident that either Toulouse and Catalan will be locked into SL when the licensing is properly started or Toulouse will pull out if they aren’t in SL when that season starts.

Thank you for your explanation, albeit we are still apart on our way of thinking I appreciate your views.

43 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I retracted the 'A' grade in a later post, but isn't it the intention of IMG to have Toulouse in the top flight even as a 'B', I am sure I remember that from their proposal?

You remember wrong. Toulouse won't be fast tracked anywhere. If they get promoted then hopefully they will quickly earn a grade A and get ringfenced for the good of the game, but until then they have to earn their spot like anyone else. 

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

With you here Harry. Yes I do believe that is the case. I also believe you are completely wrong in terms of your vision for the game but it is at least consistent (they can be in but rise or fall, provided you don’t start whining about a lack of French players in French squads).

What is the point of IMG demanding French clubs play French players unless it is for internationals. If IMG are doing it for internationals then IMG have already implicitly accepted that the French clubs are vehicles for those internationals and need to be protected on top flight to make that viable. 

It would be absurd for IMG to demand they have French players to benefit International game (which the French clubs get no cut of but IMG would) and not lock them in. 

So on this I think you can either take my view (grow internationals and new markets so French teams are a lock) Or your view Harry: Sink or swim in a free for all but sign whoever you please. 

There is zero logical consistency in people who want it both ways: French players but no protection for developing them.

I am confident that either Toulouse and Catalan will be locked into SL when the licensing is properly started or Toulouse will pull out if they aren’t in SL when that season starts.

I understand your comments with regard to the rational of locking at least x2 French teams in SL for French international benefit.

Surely though the quid pro quo that those clubs have to release the players for internationals.  I say that as it is difficult for a club like Catalan to have to release a high percentage of their team (assuming they have a high percentage of French players) if during an international break other SL clubs are not as impacted.