The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

3 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

You remember wrong. Toulouse won't be fast tracked anywhere. If they get promoted then hopefully they will quickly earn a grade A and get ringfenced for the good of the game, but until then they have to earn their spot like anyone else. 

I hope that is the case that any team should be in the top division which would have been earned on the field to be considered as a top division club in the gradings. 

That being so, if Tolouse fail this season and in my opinion as it stands squad wise I have Fev as Favourites to be promoted I think that Toulouse will struggle the following year with whoever comes down.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

True I am partly responsible for that but it isn’t related, Craig Harrison who is an agent has said it is so slow this year because clubs are wisely not bothering to spend money on players until they know the deal regarding category stuff.

clubs are already back in preseason so you imagine we won’t be hearing of many more moves unless Derek gets bored 

I will get bored if Derek doesn't react in the transfer market, there is still P&R to play for this season.

Another thread hijacked by the usual suspects.  I really dont understand why you do it so often.  Can we get it back on topic or i may as well request to get it locked

I seriously wonder sometimes if people just continually balls thread after thread up on purpose or they are geniuinely that thick they dont understand the forum rules.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Which I held my hand up for and explained why , it was being nudged back on track until someone started slagging off those for doing it. I am currently transferring at sol metro to go to the pub. Does that help?

As I said , guilty of derailing the thread.

3 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Another thread hijacked by the usual suspects.  I really dont understand why you do it so often.  Can we get it back on topic or i may as well request to get it locked

I seriously wonder sometimes if people just continually balls thread after thread up on purpose or they are geniuinely that thick they dont understand the forum rules.

It’s almost as if there isn’t a thread titled IMG’s proposal’s 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

I am hearing Tuku Hau Tapuha as incoming from Roosters for a season

20 years old, 6'-5" and 18 stone prop, played 3 times for the Roosters last season and represented the Maori All Stars, this is the type of signing that can go either way, but it is precisely what Leigh require a big middle.

I wonder who has recommended him, obviously Lachlan Lam will know him but thinking more from a coaching point of view.

Edited by Harry Stottle

48 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Will officially confirmed to NRL. So much for Giants building for the future. If you aren’t even going to get a few good years out of players you develop then more clubs will start to wonder about whether academies are worth it.

At least in football there are transfer fees ... Nor is it beneficial to the England team because no SH is going to play England anyway and they are worthless playing European nations as they are in NRL and thus have zero market value to Sky , C4 or game here. 

How do the Giants stop something like that from happening? The lad obviously wants to test himself in the best league in the world and will likely be paid a lot more at the same time.

• Like 4

Huddersfield Giants played 5 (I think) Academy products in the 2022 Challenge Cup Final and finished the domestic season third. That’s their incentive to continue doing what they’re doing. Players leave, it happens.

It’s happened numerous times to Wigan, Saints lost Luke Thompson, Catalans have lost Joe Chan, Leeds lost Kallum Watkins and Ryan Hall. Whether we can do anything in terms of remuneration to keep some of these players here is another discussion.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, northamptoncougar said:

Because SL pays peanut in comparison. If we were able to pay more there's less chance of them moving on.

Or maybe adventure and lifestyle come into it also, whatever someone's vocation at their age if they have a chance of experiencing it down under making a commitment if they wish to stay or not I am sure a very large percentage of young men would take up the offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Or maybe adventure and lifestyle come into it also, whatever someone's vocation at their age if they have a chance of experiencing it down under making a commitment if they wish to stay or not I am sure a very large percentage of young men would take up the offer.

Targeting lads who are early twenties isn’t just a financial beneficial idea from Australian clubs. They’re less likely to be tied into relationships and family life, which has previously stopped some players from going to Australia (Roby and Walmsley). 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And so they should. If some of these young guys consistently deliver to a high standard they could be looking at 400K GBP for 6 or 7 years. That's gotta make a huge difference when they move back to Pontefract or Gipton or wherever. (I don't know any small towns in England.)

16 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Targeting lads who are early twenties isn’t just a financial beneficial idea from Australian clubs. They’re less likely to be tied into relationships and family life, which has previously stopped some players from going to Australia (Roby and Walmsley). 

I don't think the price of these players is as huge a factor as some people think. Sure, they may seem cheap by NRL standards but, if the coaching and recruitment people didn't think they could add significantly to the team, they wouldn't sign them at any price. Newcastle has had a very strong local league since 1909. They already have an endless supply of cheap players.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

I didn’t say they could. So I am not sure what point you are making. Just think we are talking about having academies which sadly seem to be becoming a feeder system for NRL when they pay nothing for it. 

Whereas Salford with no academy seem to be able to pluck foreign talent and lads from champ who are not to develop but play now and do well. 

Only thing would be 3-4 year deals to young lads but even then NRL would just wait till they are out of contract and pick them up for free. So no real incentive to keep young lads on long contracts.

Unless the clubs get a first team regular for 3-4 yrs,probably on a lot less money than a 32 yr old NRL import.

3 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

And so they should. If some of these young guys consistently deliver to a high standard they could be looking at 400K GBP for 6 or 7 years. That's gotta make a huge difference when they move back to Pontefract or Gipton or wherever. (I don't know any small towns in England.)

I don't think the price of these players is as huge a factor as some people think. Sure, they may seem cheap by NRL standards but, if the coaching and recruitment people didn't think they could add significantly to the team, they wouldn't sign them at any price. Newcastle has had a very strong local league since 1909. They already have an endless supply of cheap players.

Having an even greater pool of relatively cheap players isn’t a bad thing either. Between the two players, they’ve about sixty Super League games between them, which would be closer to eighty-five if for injury and long bans and by the time they leave, you’d expect KPP to be a regular for Wigan in 2023 and it remains to be seen how Huddersfield fit all their key players into their seventeen. 

19 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Rubbish, plenty of under 21's in SL on NON peanut money. Plenty of young NRL fringe players ON peanut money.

Pretty sure the minimum NRL contract for a player named in a clubs top 30 now stands at $120k,hardly peanuts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

20 years old, 6'-5" and 18 stone prop, played 3 times for the Roosters last season and represented the Maori All Stars, this is the type of signing that can go either way, but it is precisely what Leigh require a big middle.

I wonder who has recommended him, obviously Lachlan Lam will know him but thinking more from a coaching point of view.

Thought it was an experienced prop that we needed, to replace Sidlow.

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Will officially confirmed to NRL. So much for Giants building for the future. If you aren’t even going to get a few good years out of players you develop then more clubs will start to wonder about whether academies are worth it.

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

I didn’t say they could. So I am not sure what point you are making.

You just made out like you were annoyed at Huddersfield or thought they had a choice in the matter. I'm sorry if I took it that way and it wasn't your intention.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Back to transfer rumours...James Cunningham has said on SM that he has left TO due to family issues. Trying to work out if any top-end Championship clubs or low-end SL clubs need a hooker, but struggling to think of many.

A few have left because of family issues/reasons. Home sickness can play a big part when you have a young family.