The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

I seriously doubt Leigh were ever a serious option for French & it was the  interest from NRL clubs drove his improved contract offer.

You just speculate then Dav, I was privvy from a source very close to the action and was told the offer that Bevan had recieved from Leigh, suffice to say Bevan is now quite well off, obviously I will keep the confidence of my contact.

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You just speculate then Dav, I was privvy from a source very close to the action and was told the offer that Bevan had recieved from Leigh, suffice to say Bevan is now quite well off, obviously I will keep the confidence of my contact.

Oh I’m not doubting Leigh made a silly money offer but like I say I doubt it was a genuine option for the player himself.

26 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Oh I’m not doubting Leigh made a silly money offer but like I say I doubt it was a genuine option for the player himself.

If they made a silly money offer, then it was a genuine option. You either doubt neither of these facts, or both.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, phiggins said:

If they made a silly money offer, then it was a genuine option. You either doubt neither of these facts, or both.

A silly money offer in whose eyes? Silly money to Leigh may be a reasonable extension in the eyes of Wigan. 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh's interest certainly cost Wigan a lot of money Dav, think back it took Bevan a long time to agree a new deal with Wigan, what they initially offered was way below what Leigh came in with, Wigan had to submit quite considerably more than they had previously to outbid Leigh but they had to do it, 1, for what he brings to field of play (no pun intended) and 2, I shouldn't imagine it would have gone down very well with the Wigan public if he had chosen little Leigh over their big neighbours.

I can well imagine that French was able to leverage the serious high bid from Leigh to get Wigan to move their position but I very much doubt they actually ended up offering more money than Leigh to seal the deal.

3 hours ago, arcticchris said:

I can well imagine that French was able to leverage the serious high bid from Leigh to get Wigan to move their position but I very much doubt they actually ended up offering more money than Leigh to seal the deal.

He and more importantly his Agent would forfeit earnings?

4 hours ago, arcticchris said:

I can believe this too. But if (and I've no idea if they did or not) Leigh did offer more money, then he would've considered a genuine option. Short career and all that, but bigger clubs won't have to offer as much to attract players.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

He and more importantly his Agent would forfeit earnings?

In exchange for greater certainty against relegation and a better chance of competing for trophies. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, phiggins said:

I can believe this too. But if (and I've no idea if they did or not) Leigh did offer more money, then he would've considered a genuine option. Short career and all that, but bigger clubs won't have to offer as much to attract players.

In exchange for greater certainty against relegation and a better chance of competing for trophies. 

Surely the stigma of the shirt came into the equation too?.

• Haha 5

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Brad Takairangi off to Dapto from HKR.

https://www.flashscore.co.uk/news/takairangi-signs-with-dapto-canaries-after-hull-kr-exit/nRKIPhWa/

The 33-year-old left Craven Park last year after being handed a one-year suspended prison sentence for crashing into a police car.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 hours ago, phiggins said:

Aren’t Super League voided on relegation?

26 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Yes

If there's a release included in the contract, which I'm sure all players/agents ensure these days.  Wasn't it Michael Shenton who was unable to get a release from Cas when they were relegated back in 2006?  

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

32 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

If there's a release included in the contract, which I'm sure all players/agents ensure these days.  Wasn't it Michael Shenton who was unable to get a release from Cas when they were relegated back in 2006?  

I thought it was a standard/mandatory clause since P&R was brought back in after licensing.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2023 at 15:03, phiggins said:

I thought it was a standard/mandatory clause since P&R was brought back in after licensing.

Definitely not mandatory. But common.

Edited by Griff
  • Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

38 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

How competitive do Leigh fans expect them to be this season with the new signings?

What will be the target?

Just stay up/a good cup run and mid table comfort/a run at a playoff spot?

Anything other than relegation will do, look at it as this season as the foundations we can build from here.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

How competitive do Leigh fans expect them to be this season with the new signings?

What will be the target?

I think the Leopards will be very competitive and unlike Harry above I think the Sky's the Limit!

And so long as they don't beat SRD I'm fine with that!

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

44 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

What will be the target?

I think we'll be more competitive than our last 3 seasons in SL(although we were alright in 2017 and didn't finish bottom in the regular season). I think there won't be many blowout scores that were seen in previous promoted teams but it depends on how many close games we can convert into wins.

• Thanks 1