The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

On 09/02/2023 at 12:47, Saint Toppy said:

I presume you mean Gray Viane ?

Saints brought him over from the NRL and he was something of a flop, playing only a handful of games before they offloaded him to Widnes, who then offloaded him to Cas, who then offloaded him to Salford, who then couldn't offload him to anyone else as nobody would take him. I think he just returned to Aus and played lower leagues after that.

The irony is, the best part of his game were his offloads...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

10 hours ago, AB90 said:

According to reports in OZ, Dom Young has signed with the Roosters for 2024.

Absolutely gutting as a Knights fan but can't blame him, apparently we didn't want to pay 500k/season for a winger but with the cap increasing that is a terrible decision.

He will be immense in a quality side like the Roosters, in fact they could well have both English International wings within a few seasons with Murphy incoming too.

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Shorrocks is a useful backrower but a pretty poor hooker.

I think we’re struggling in both positions at the moment. We’ve got Matt Davis playing hooker, and would expect Shorrocks to do a better job than him. We also had Chamberlain listed as playing second row yesterday after Hughes pulled out just before kick off. 

Shorrocks would be a very handy player at Leigh. He's been unlucky at Wigan given he's competing for the 13 shirt with Smithies. He was one of the few stand out players in 2021 when Smithies was having a bit of second season syndrome, then last year Shorrocks had his second season dip while Smithies established himself. Now that Brad O'Neill has broken through he's a much better fit as he's actually a hooker but covers 13 too. Shorrocks doesn't actually offer sufficient cover at 9.

I really rate Shorrocks as a ball playing forward and Leigh could get a lot out of him. He's got a good passing game and often plays like an extra pivot and he gets all over the pitch in defence with an exceptional work rate. Play him at 13 and Leigh have themselves a good player.

If Lam is signing him to play hooker though it's absolute madness. He can't pass from the floor comfortably or consistently and it completely stilted Wigan's attack when he was played there. If you want a hooker just sign a hooker. He's surely being signed to play 13.

44 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Shorrocks would be a very handy player at Leigh. He's been unlucky at Wigan given he's competing for the 13 shirt with Smithies. He was one of the few stand out players in 2021 when Smithies was having a bit of second season syndrome, then last year Shorrocks had his second season dip while Smithies established himself. Now that Brad O'Neill has broken through he's a much better fit as he's actually a hooker but covers 13 too. Shorrocks doesn't actually offer sufficient cover at 9.

I really rate Shorrocks as a ball playing forward and Leigh could get a lot out of him. He's got a good passing game and often plays like an extra pivot and he gets all over the pitch in defence with an exceptional work rate. Play him at 13 and Leigh have themselves a good player.

If Lam is signing him to play hooker though it's absolute madness. He can't pass from the floor comfortably or consistently and it completely stilted Wigan's attack when he was played there. If you want a hooker just sign a hooker. He's surely being signed to play 13.

Asiata is their loose forward and he’s not nearly as effective in other positions

45 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Time will tell what Lam’s plans are for him. As well as Ipape’s injury, the over reliance on Asiata, and the drop in quality when he goes off has been another issue we’ve had. So it’s possible that Lam will carry on with Davis as a makeshift 9, and Shorrocks allowing us to manage Asiata’s minutes and/or move him to prop for a spell. 
We do need a hooker though. Not sure there’ll be many about.

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Asiata is their loose forward and he’s not nearly as effective in other positions

Played too many minutes against Salford. And O’Donnell who would normally come on at 13 will probably be moved to second row, with Hughes and Holmes injured.

26 minutes ago, Morris Wanchuk said:

Trinity need a full back if anyone knows one who is available & cheap. Let Applegarth know please as I don’t think he’s realised he needs full back cover yet, bless him! 

Can they afford one? They already had a deal in place for Shaul before the season started but Applegarth pulled the plug to use the money on a prop instead

10 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Joe Shorrocks confirmed on initial 2 week loan at Leigh, I suspect it will be a rolling arrangement following until Wigan need him back.

Think it was a similar arrangement for McDonnell last season as well. We had him most weeks, until the play offs (which won't be an issue this year!).

Can only imagine this means we will be without Ipape for a few weeks. Whether he's coming to directly cover 9, or cover 13 while Davis covers 9 I don't know. 

46 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Think it was a similar arrangement for McDonnell last season as well. We had him most weeks, until the play offs (which won't be an issue this year!).

Can only imagine this means we will be without Ipape for a few weeks. Whether he's coming to directly cover 9, or cover 13 while Davis covers 9 I don't know. 

It will likely depend on how soon Holmes and Hughes are fit, either way it adds some extra depth in the short term and means Ipape can take some time to get fully fit. Having a niggling ankle injury is really unfortunate for Ipape, it negates his main running threat so there's no point risking him until right. They probably left him on about 10 mins too long against Salford as he was barely getting out of a light jog by the end

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phiggins said:

How long is Smith out for?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Ryan King departs Halifax after failing to settle. Possibly back to Haven? Fax announcing a signing at 4pm today. I imagine it will be a loan signing.

Jacob Gannon on a month loan. Hope he goes well, good move for him.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2023 at 14:48, The Blues Ox said:

Ryan King departs Halifax after failing to settle. Possibly back to Haven? Fax announcing a signing at 4pm today. I imagine it will be a loan 

Confirmed tonight marra king back at Haven. 

• Like 1

Harvie Hill on loan to TO has been announced now. I like the idea of young fringe players being given the opportunity to play at a decent level. I would prefer young French players but there doesn't seem to be many props available. Let's see what he can bring to the party. 

Edited by kiggy
Typo