The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

these days a contract doesn't appear to mean anything, if HKRs pockets are deep enough he will go. It is a strange situation, you don't want an unhappy player in the squad, it doesn't do anyone any good, it unsettles the whole squad, the player himself will lack the motivation to do his best and his team mates will become resentful, however you can't just let someone walk away from their obligations, I take it he signed the extension at Salford of his own free will?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/rugby-league-news/hull-kr-transfer-tyler-dupree-8459547

Tyler Dupree has apparently handed a formal transfer request in at SRD

edit - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/65674364

Now confirmed by Salford and they've denied his request, not sure how well it's going to go trying to keep him til end of 2025 if he wants to leave though, they'd be far better off taking the 6-figure offer from Hull KR and using it to find a replacement.

Perhaps they think that they can get more money elsewhere - can't see them wanting to keep a player who clearly wants out.

3 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Perhaps they think that they can get more money elsewhere - can't see them wanting to keep a player who clearly wants out.

Possibly, but I can't see them getting much more if the offer is already in the 6-figures. That is right at the top end of transfer fees for SL era, especially for a prop forward. If they keep him and he spits his dummy out those offers are only going to come down.

48 minutes ago, Wolfey Rovers said:

Daniel Smith signs for Featherstone permanently with Immediate effect. Castleford has lost the plot with this one. He's arguably one of their best forwards. Will be a very good acquisition for Fev 

Doesn't fit Andy Lasts style of play.  He occasionally breaks tackles and offloads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Happy to welcome Jack Croft back to Wakefield following his stint down under. 

Should walk straight into our back line, which even at that pace will be quicker than many we currently have there.

• Haha 2

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

SKD retires at the end of the season, staying with Rovers! 🔴⚪🔴

...or as I prefer to put it "SKD retires rather than take a contract at Hull FC" 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Hull Kingston Bronco
  • Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

On 22/05/2023 at 18:07, Wolfey Rovers said:

Daniel Smith signs for Featherstone permanently with Immediate effect. Castleford has lost the plot with this one. He's arguably one of their best forwards. Will be a very good acquisition for Fev 

Good signing, you need some young blood in your pack, I have said all along that Fev are nailed on for promotion this season this signing will go a long way to that being acheived.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Good signing, you need some young blood in your pack, I have said all along that Fev are nailed on for promotion this season this signing will go a long way to that being acheived.

As an added bonus, my C*s supporting best mate is gutted and can't understand why they let him go. Great signing for us.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2023 at 16:38, Expatknight said:

these days a contract doesn't appear to mean anything, if HKRs pockets are deep enough he will go. I

This is nothing new its always gone on, and its been done by every club who's had money to spend at that time. Players used to get "tapped up" directly by the clubs, now with the rules in place the clubs just put in a phone call to the players agent in order to set the ball rolling.

SL clubs with money do it to players at other SL clubs, SL clubs without much money do it to Championship clubs (remember Salford took Dupree when he was still under contract at Widnes), NRL clubs do it to SL clubs even those who are wealthy. Every SL club has probably been guilty of this practice at some point.

The RFL are never going to be able to stop this happening no matter how hard they try. There are possibly other rules they could bring in to limit it for home grown players and the like (like having all home grown players count les on a clubs SC so its more attractive to stay there), but ultimately players careers are short and they'll go where the money is.

• Like 2

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

It’s a younger pack this year with Cozza and Yei also in the squad, and there’s the young NRL forward as well.

On 22/05/2023 at 16:38, Expatknight said:

these days a contract doesn't appear to mean anything, if HKRs pockets are deep enough he will go. It is a strange situation, you don't want an unhappy player in the squad, it doesn't do anyone any good, it unsettles the whole squad, the player himself will lack the motivation to do his best and his team mates will become resentful, however you can't just let someone walk away from their obligations, I take it he signed the extension at Salford of his own free will?

Extensions are often used by sports clubs to secure assets (ie players) and to increase their value. A player with 1 year left is worth left on his deal than the same player with 3 years left, for example. Players sign them because they are almost always on improved terms than the previous contract, and clubs like them because, as it seems Salford want to do, it theoretically allows them to sell at a higher value. 

The problem with this strategy is that we have a very small "transfer market" in RL. In reality most player moves are either out of contract or mutual between club and player to leave. Transfer fees, whilst not unheard of, aren't very common. They certainly don't seem common enough to base a financial policy around them.

The impact of the salary cap, to both the selling and buying club, is a consideration for this too. "Selling" clubs often want a players wages off the books to free up cap space more than they want a fee, and buying clubs tend to not want cap space being taken up by transfer fees where they can avoid it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Extensions are often used by sports clubs to secure assets (ie players) and to increase their value. A player with 1 year left is worth left on his deal than the same player with 3 years left, for example. Players sign them because they are almost always on improved terms than the previous contract, and clubs like them because, as it seems Salford want to do, it theoretically allows them to sell at a higher value. 

The problem with this strategy is that we have a very small "transfer market" in RL. In reality most player moves are either out of contract or mutual between club and player to leave. Transfer fees, whilst not unheard of, aren't very common. They certainly don't seem common enough to base a financial policy around them.

The impact of the salary cap, to both the selling and buying club, is a consideration for this too. "Selling" clubs often want a players wages off the books to free up cap space more than they want a fee, and buying clubs tend to not want cap space being taken up by transfer fees where they can avoid it. 

Hit the nail on the head there, I would also add the increase in financial power of the NRL has also probably suppressed the desire of SL clubs to part with larger transfer fees. Anyone good enough or with enough potential to command a fee is ultimately going to going to fall onto the NRL radar sooner rather than later. If Dupree signed for KR midseason for £100k on a 2.5 year deal then end of 2024 he decides he wants to run his contract down and go to the NRL for nothing, KR are going to look very silly.

1 minute ago, LeytherRob said:

Hit the nail on the head there, I would also add the increase in financial power of the NRL has also probably suppressed the desire of SL clubs to part with larger transfer fees. Anyone good enough or with enough potential to command a fee is ultimately going to going to fall onto the NRL radar sooner rather than later. If Dupree signed for KR midseason for £100k on a 2.5 year deal then end of 2024 he decides he wants to run his contract down and go to the NRL for nothing, KR are going to look very silly.

Yeah I think the problem is that we're in a sort of halfway house with transfers and fees. The money element of the transfer is paradoxically both relatively high and relatively small. £100k as you say would be relatively high for an RL player in the current market given how few transfers there are for that sort of money. Simultaneously £100k isn't a preposterously high amount either for a player of his quality. Hull KR are probably willing to spend that money but don't really want to if they don't have to, whilst Salford probably will be happy to get him off the wage bill for this year, but don't want to lose a solid asset for nothing; especially so given their current financial situation and model.

As you say as well, with any player you pay a transfer fee for it is more than likely that they will leave for nothing at some point in the future anyway because of the rarity of transfer fees in RL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

I doubt that is the case, would HKR spend £100k without looking mid-long term? 100k for a 2.5 year deal indicates they think he's one of the leagues top props and will help with on the pitch success within thoses years - or they have the go ahead from his agent saying they will sign a long term deal.

They'll have good guarantees from him and his party before commiting to placing bids

• Like 1

Liam Tindall to Hull for next year seems to be nailed on now. It has been rumoured for a while and now it's been announced that's he's turned down an offer to stay at Leeds. Seen him play a few times but I don't know an awful lot about him, but he's young and British and Tony Smith must have seen something he likes and I trust his judgement.

3 minutes ago, MZH said:

Liam Tindall to Hull for next year seems to be nailed on now. It has been rumoured for a while and now it's been announced that's he's turned down an offer to stay at Leeds. Seen him play a few times but I don't know an awful lot about him, but he's young and British and Tony Smith must have seen something he likes and I trust his judgement.

I'd say that would be a pretty underwhelming signing. He's done a decent job since getting game time at Leeds but can't say i've seen anything in him to suggest he's going to be a real top class winger. His pace seems fairly average for a winger (not a carthorse by any means but not lightning quick either), and doesn't seem to have the physical presence to break the line at will or beat a man.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

45 minutes ago, MZH said:

He looked promising but hasn't really progressed or taken his chances when put in the starting line up.

He's pretty quick and strong but runs sideways more than he does forward and has a terrible try scoring record for a fast winger.

2 trys in 21 games for the rhinos.

I know he scored but watch his last try for Leeds against Wigan two weeks ago, a natural winger should be putting his ears back running for the line and beating the man on his outside then bringing the ball back nearer the posts once over the line.

He pretty much stopped his run to come back inside, yes he scored but there's been many times where he has done this for Leeds.

He's still only young though and I hope he goes on to progress, his highlight so far was a non try against Catalans during Covid, I don't know how he managed not to score the debut try of the decade!

32 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

He looked promising but hasn't really progressed or taken his chances when put in the starting line up.

He's pretty quick and strong but runs sideways more than he does forward and has a terrible try scoring record for a fast winger.

2 trys in 21 games for the rhinos.

I know he scored but watch his last try for Leeds against Wigan two weeks ago, a natural winger should be putting his ears back running for the line and beating the man on his outside then bringing the ball back nearer the posts once over the line.

He pretty much stopped his run to come back inside, yes he scored but there's been many times where he has done this for Leeds.

He's still only young though and I hope he goes on to progress, his highlight so far was a non try against Catalans during Covid, I don't know how he managed not to score the debut try of the decade!

That's a fair summation. His defence was the biggest issue for me, he was often exposed on the edge. He does seem to have improved in recent weeks but I'm not too disappointed he's leaving except for the fact we're not blessed for wingers

18 hours ago, Gomersall said:

With Dean Whare also. The Kiwi played at Wembley in a World Cup and I think Norman played for Queensland in Origin

• Like 1

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg