Jump to content

Transfer Rumour Mill 22/23


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

t isn't the intention from '25 that the IMG gradings are to come into effect, and that being so isn't it the intention for Toulouse to be awarded an 'A' grade along with Catalan with restrictive numbers on French player's? 

 

Can you provide us with a link to any concrete evidence backing this up? There hasn't been any actual details released yet about what the criteria will be for an A license AFAIK, though Hull KR CEO Paul Lakin has stated he thinks only 4 teams will get an A grade (presumably Wigan, Saints, Leeds, and maybe Warrington/Hull/Catalans?)

The issue about French clubs being expected to field more French players isn't going to automatically going to give them an A license is it? I mean, you'd think regularly reaching the SL play-offs and having crowds in the 10k ballpark would be two of the criteria and Toulouse would be nowhere near on either count.

That said, I have seen people on some of the French RL forums suggest the same thing, but I reckon that's just wishful thinking.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Can you provide us with a link to any concrete evidence backing this up? There hasn't been any actual details released yet about what the criteria will be for an A license AFAIK, though Hull KR CEO Paul Lakin has stated he thinks only 4 teams will get an A grade (presumably Wigan, Saints, Leeds, and maybe Warrington/Hull/Catalans?)

The issue about French clubs being expected to field more French players isn't going to automatically going to give them an A license is it? I mean, you'd think regularly reaching the SL play-offs and having crowds in the 10k ballpark would be two of the criteria and Toulouse would be nowhere near on either count.

That said, I have seen people on some of the French RL forums suggest the same thing, but I reckon that's just wishful thinking.

 

Yes I did say an 'A' grade when it should just have been a member of the top division not nessacarilly an 'A' but definatley having Toulouse in there. 

Now I am sure I have not dreamt up, wasn't it part of thd proposal that IMG issued and people of the same  mindset as@ShropshireBullhave been full of beans since then at the prospect of the two French clubs being "locked" into SL or whatever it will be called.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry Gav I probably didn't put it down correctly, I know that will be the case for '24 that promotion and relegation is still the format, but isn't the intention from '25 that the IMG gradings are to come into effect, and that being so isn't it the intention for Toulouse to be awarded an 'A' grade along with Catalan with restrictive numbers on French player's? 

If that is correct what is to stop Toulouse just playing the waiting game?

Answer please.

Toulouse won't get a grade A as a Championship club. Only SL clubs can be graded A.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes I did say an 'A' grade when it should just have been a member of the top division not nessacarilly an 'A' but definatley having Toulouse in there. 

Now I am sure I have not dreamt up, wasn't it part of thd proposal that IMG issued and people of the same  mindset as@ShropshireBullhave been full of beans since then at the prospect of the two French clubs being "locked" into SL or whatever it will be called.

Ok, where can you point me to something that says Toulouse will definitely be in the top division? The only thing I have seen is a suggestion that overseas clubs would be "capped at 2", and "capped" clearly suggests maximum not minimum.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes I did say an 'A' grade when it should just have been a member of the top division not nessacarilly an 'A' but definatley having Toulouse in there. 

Now I am sure I have not dreamt up, wasn't it part of thd proposal that IMG issued and people of the same  mindset as@ShropshireBullhave been full of beans since then at the prospect of the two French clubs being "locked" into SL or whatever it will be called.

With you here Harry. Yes I do believe that is the case. I also believe you are completely wrong in terms of your vision for the game but it is at least consistent (they can be in but rise or fall, provided you don’t start whining about a lack of French players in French squads).

What is the point of IMG demanding French clubs play French players unless it is for internationals. If IMG are doing it for internationals then IMG have already implicitly accepted that the French clubs are vehicles for those internationals and need to be protected on top flight to make that viable. 

It would be absurd for IMG to demand they have French players to benefit International game (which the French clubs get no cut of but IMG would) and not lock them in. 

So on this I think you can either take my view (grow internationals and new markets so French teams are a lock) Or your view Harry: Sink or swim in a free for all but sign whoever you please. 

There is zero logical consistency in people who want it both ways: French players but no protection for developing them.

I am confident that either Toulouse and Catalan will be locked into SL when the licensing is properly started or Toulouse will pull out if they aren’t in SL when that season starts.

Edited by ShropshireBull
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ok, where can you point me to something that says Toulouse will definitely be in the top division? The only thing I have seen is a suggestion that overseas clubs would be "capped at 2", and "capped" clearly suggests maximum not minimum.

Yes agree, does that not indicate to you that the two French clubs are all but there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

With you here Harry. Yes I do believe that is the case. I also believe you are completely wrong in terms of your vision for the game but it is at least consistent (they can be in but rise or fall, provided you don’t start whining about a lack of French players in French squads).

What is the point of IMG demanding French clubs play French players unless it is for internationals. If IMG are doing it for internationals then IMG have already implicitly that the French clubs are vehicles for those internationals and need to be protected on top flight to make that viable. 

It would be absurd for IMG to demand they have French players to benefit International game (which the French clubs get no cut of but IMG would) and not lock them in. 

So on this I think you can either take my view (grow internationals and new markets so French teams are a lock) Or your view Harry: Sink or swim in a free for all but sign whoever you please. 

There is zero logical consistency in people who want it both ways: French players but no protection for developing them.

I am confident that either Toulouse and Catalan will be locked into SL when the licensing is properly started or Toulouse will pull out if they aren’t in SL when that season starts.

Thank you for your explanation, albeit we are still apart on our way of thinking I appreciate your views.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I retracted the 'A' grade in a later post, but isn't it the intention of IMG to have Toulouse in the top flight even as a 'B', I am sure I remember that from their proposal?

You remember wrong. Toulouse won't be fast tracked anywhere. If they get promoted then hopefully they will quickly earn a grade A and get ringfenced for the good of the game, but until then they have to earn their spot like anyone else. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

With you here Harry. Yes I do believe that is the case. I also believe you are completely wrong in terms of your vision for the game but it is at least consistent (they can be in but rise or fall, provided you don’t start whining about a lack of French players in French squads).

What is the point of IMG demanding French clubs play French players unless it is for internationals. If IMG are doing it for internationals then IMG have already implicitly accepted that the French clubs are vehicles for those internationals and need to be protected on top flight to make that viable. 

It would be absurd for IMG to demand they have French players to benefit International game (which the French clubs get no cut of but IMG would) and not lock them in. 

So on this I think you can either take my view (grow internationals and new markets so French teams are a lock) Or your view Harry: Sink or swim in a free for all but sign whoever you please. 

There is zero logical consistency in people who want it both ways: French players but no protection for developing them.

I am confident that either Toulouse and Catalan will be locked into SL when the licensing is properly started or Toulouse will pull out if they aren’t in SL when that season starts.

I understand your comments with regard to the rational of locking at least x2 French teams in SL for French international benefit.

Surely though the quid pro quo that those clubs have to release the players for internationals.  I say that as it is difficult for a club like Catalan to have to release a high percentage of their team (assuming they have a high percentage of French players) if during an international break other SL clubs are not as impacted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Dave W said:

IMG talk is all well and good but surely this is the wrong thread?

None of this has anything to do with Transfer Rumours. 

True I am partly responsible for that but it isn’t related, Craig Harrison who is an agent has said it is so slow this year because clubs are wisely not bothering to spend money on players until they know the deal regarding category stuff.

clubs are already back in preseason so you imagine we won’t be hearing of many more moves unless Derek gets bored 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

You remember wrong. Toulouse won't be fast tracked anywhere. If they get promoted then hopefully they will quickly earn a grade A and get ringfenced for the good of the game, but until then they have to earn their spot like anyone else. 

I hope that is the case that any team should be in the top division which would have been earned on the field to be considered as a top division club in the gradings. 

That being so, if Tolouse fail this season and in my opinion as it stands squad wise I have Fev as Favourites to be promoted I think that Toulouse will struggle the following year with whoever comes down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

True I am partly responsible for that but it isn’t related, Craig Harrison who is an agent has said it is so slow this year because clubs are wisely not bothering to spend money on players until they know the deal regarding category stuff.

clubs are already back in preseason so you imagine we won’t be hearing of many more moves unless Derek gets bored 

I will get bored if Derek doesn't react in the transfer market, there is still P&R to play for this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thread hijacked by the usual suspects.  I really dont understand why you do it so often.  Can we get it back on topic or i may as well request to get it locked

I seriously wonder sometimes if people just continually balls thread after thread up on purpose or they are geniuinely that thick they dont understand the forum rules.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Another thread hijacked by the usual suspects.  I really dont understand why you do it so often.  Can we get it back on topic or i may as well request to get it locked

I seriously wonder sometimes if people just continually balls thread after thread up on purpose or they are geniuinely that thick they dont understand the forum rules.

Do you have anything to get it back on topic with. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Well as you are one of the culprits for derailing the thread have you ?.

Which I held my hand up for and explained why , it was being nudged back on track until someone started slagging off those for doing it. I am currently transferring at sol metro to go to the pub. Does that help?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Which I held my hand up for and explained why , it was being nudged back on track until someone started slagging off those for doing it. I am currently transferring at sol metro to go to the pub. Does that help?

As I said , guilty of derailing the thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...