Cornwall

glemiln

It will be interesting to see how we perform at home for our new coaching team after the great effort last week.  Without our mercurial two, Chase and Penkywicz, we need to keep focus.  Hopefully, both teams can adapt well to the 30 degree temperatures and some water breaks have been agreed for everyone’s benefit.  Spectators aren’t allowed to stay in the bar!  Certainly, we need to keep cool, return to winning ways and build momentum towards the play-offs, wherever we finish.   Cornwall has former Hornets, Louis Singleton and Tom Ashton. 

image.jpeg.ffd6f86c77318509c2e9f4053c3c58ac.jpeg

They are an expansion club so it's more about the performance (as i expect us to win), keeping penalties and cards to a minimal will be key. The next few weeks are pivotal to our playoff hopes so lets start as we mean to go on. Hornets by 20.

Communication!!  Seem to be missing him. 

It must be tough out there, certainly for Hornets so far - it's 18 - 14 at ht and both teams have had 1 yellow (we - Rush)! 

A lot to say at ht and do before the play-offs.

Not again!  Another yellow, this time Taira - 45min - but now he returns.

Now 24-14 but we seem to be dropping too many passes at crucial moments and only 3/7 conversions!

80min: 34-14

And fiery again!   Hornets: Rush, yellow again, Rogers redCornwall down to 10 men 2 yellow & 1 red. The disciplinary will be convening solely for these two teams!

I know it was hot but something needs to change quickly.

Edited by glemiln
update

Lewis Sheridan unlikely to play again this season due to a hand injury. Its a good job we signed the three lads from Warrington otherwise we could not have listed 17 players. If you turn up early as a fan at the moment you could find yourself playing due to our injuries. Hopefully a few more of the wounded and suspended back next week. Well done to the lads who played today in terrible conditions. 

• Like 1

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

A good game spoiled.

I thought it was a good game today, end to end rugby and a close game. We played well and were the better team although some of these loose passes could have been gathered by Cornwall on another day. Was pleased that we kept Cornwall to 0 points in the second half, our defence worked hard in that opening 10 mins of the second half as they threw a lot at us.

What was unforgivable was the way the game dissolved into needless aggression and cards, I believe it was Kieran Rush getting 2 yellows one for gobbing off and the other for deciding to rag a player around who had already been tackled and Fenton Rogers got a straight red for headbutting a player. On a team that is struggling to put out 13 with injuries and suspensions he takes it upon himself to make the situation worse.

48 minutes ago, The Lad said:

A good game spoiled.

I thought it was a good game today, end to end rugby and a close game. We played well and were the better team although some of these loose passes could have been gathered by Cornwall on another day. Was pleased that we kept Cornwall to 0 points in the second half, our defence worked hard in that opening 10 mins of the second half as they threw a lot at us.

What was unforgivable was the way the game dissolved into needless aggression and cards, I believe it was Kieran Rush getting 2 yellows one for gobbing off and the other for deciding to rag a player around who had already been tackled and Fenton Rogers got a straight red for headbutting a player. On a team that is struggling to put out 13 with injuries and suspensions he takes it upon himself to make the situation worse.

The news about Sheridan, the indiscipline and Penky jumping ship ( surely he could have retired after the play offs) just about scuppers any chance of promotion, we really do shoot ourselves in the foot time after time.

Edited by Athleticgrounds

The game was far from dirty , the trouble is these days you aren’t allowed to tackle hard and if you do the punishment is too severe. Some refs are card happy , it was obvious Cornwall where frustrated because they could smell a win along with tiredness it led to frustration Cole Connely never a red card didn’t see Fenton Rogers incident but it’s all over reaction. We have a bad discipline record but I’m sure now we are being punished off reputation. Must get a kicker sorted for next week but at least we will have Rangi back and hopefully one or two others. We didn’t play well but won by 20 next week we need the Doncaster game effort.

21 minutes ago, The Lad said:

Kieran Rush getting 2 yellows…….

Seems to be a liability based on his recent indisciplinary evidence.  The player head butting an opponent today should not be anywhere in this great game.  These continuing issues are a blight on the club and sadly, seem to have escalated this season. And this is just observing from afar.

Sorry to hear of Sheridan’s injury - we shall miss his talent and enthusiasm.  We have only a very short time to get our house in order for the play-offs and to let the rugby do the talking.

19 minutes ago, Excolt 1 said:

The game was far from dirty , the trouble is these days you aren’t allowed to tackle hard and if you do the punishment is too severe. Some refs are card happy , it was obvious Cornwall where frustrated because they could smell a win along with tiredness it led to frustration Cole Connely never a red card didn’t see Fenton Rogers incident but it’s all over reaction. We have a bad discipline record but I’m sure now we are being punished off reputation. Must get a kicker sorted for next week but at least we will have Rangi back and hopefully one or two others. We didn’t play well but won by 20 next week we need the Doncaster game effort.

How is a red card to a headbutt an over reaction?, Rush was stupid and tried to rile up an opponent when we were winning by 12 with 10 to go after he talked his way into a yellow before.

Edited by The Lad

From where I was sat it would appear that he was bitten on the hand by the Cornwall number 10 during a tackle and our player retaliated. It would seem that the retaliator is always the one to be carded simply because he has dealt with the incident himself rather than the man in charge.

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

36 minutes ago, The Lad said:

something seems to be happening in every game no matter the ref…

Since mid-June, excluding yesterday, 22 Hornet players have been before Disciplinary panels, some twice the same day!

Thankfully, only 5 players were found guilty as charged milord and received match suspensions, but the damage was on the field and with the club.   Reputations and idiocy cemented - sadly, surfacing intact yesterday.

Fortunately, we are in the play-offs, but not for long if indiscipline continues.

41 minutes ago, Excolt 1 said:

The penalty count was 4-3 to Hornets 

Right?, i don't understand your point.

i don't care about the penalty count the fact remains that we repeatedly get penalized for the same things. Talking back to the ref for example, how hard is it to keep your mouth shut.  We do it time and time again. You don't seem that bothered that we are shooting ourselves in the foot. 

Edited by The Lad

7 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Since mid-June, excluding yesterday, 22 Hornet players have been before Disciplinary panels, some twice the same day!

Thankfully, only 5 players were found guilty as charged milord and received match suspensions, but the damage was on the field and with the club.   Reputations and idiocy cemented - sadly, surfacing intact yesterday.

Fortunately, we are in the play-offs, but not for long if indiscipline continues.

I agree that some ref's are quick to action, and in an ideal world every ref would go into every game with a blank canvas and ref what they see. Unfortunately humans are not like that and if a team has a reputation for being dirty or giving away a lot of penalties refs will not give them a lot of the 50/50 and be more prone to handing out harsher punishments.

On 14/08/2022 at 17:06, Athleticgrounds said:

The news about Sheridan, the indiscipline and Penky jumping ship ( surely he could have retired after the play offs) just about scuppers any chance of promotion, we really do shoot ourselves in the foot time after time.

I think the comment re Penky jumping ship is a bit out of order. I don't know the reason for him retiring but he has been a great player for us. He has lead us round the ptch and scored some important tries. He was never one to take a backward step and lead by example. Thanks for you time at the club Penky. 

Edited by Big Doug

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW