Revealing interview with Daryl Powell about his Warrington experience

More than the usual coach speak disclosed later half of interview revelatory.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/20636966.warrington-wolves-head-coach-daryl-powell-reflects-2022/

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Really interesting, honest interview for a change. Fair play.

I know this year must have been surreal for Wire fans, but think he’s earned his chance over the years. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I think he perpetuates the idea that they can only be successful by taking a massive step backwards and totally re-building the side.

He may be proved correct. But equally this season may have been a missed opportunity. Next year Leeds will be contenders again which will add difficulty.

8 hours ago, Niels said:

I think he perpetuates the idea that they can only be successful by taking a massive step backwards and totally re-building the side.

He may be proved correct. But equally this season may have been a missed opportunity. Next year Leeds will be contenders again which will add difficulty.

Leeds are contenders this year if you ask me! Wouldn't back against them doing their usual trick of winning it. I'd certainly put them ahead of catalans or Huddersfield.

• Like 4

None of that gives me any bit of confidence in him. It shows his character tbh, which is to blame everyone else, which is something that has come across in almost every interview in his career when he has lost a game on Sky. 

He is blaming others. He talks about changing a whole squad, which is nonsense and I don't think any other coach in the world would be discussing that kind of thing - it undermines some very very good players. 

The whole interview is very insular, moaning about the players, the fans, wondering how we lost games through bad luck (nowt to do with him) , saying we should be in the 6. 

It's rather worrying imo. With Tony Smith and the like it always feels like there is an element of control and a worthy plan. He seems to have taken the 'get us over the finish line of winning a Grand Final' to mean 'we need to completely change everything about the squad' when that generally isn't what is ever needed at any club. I'm not sure why Warrington would be different to other clubs. 

• Like 3

Very different from the typical interview answers. 

It’s looked likely that there was a divide between Powell and some of his players almost immediately and the club has seemingly backed Powell rather than player power. Whether that’s a success, remains to be seen. 

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Very different from the typical interview answers. 

It’s looked likely that there was a divide between Powell and some of his players almost immediately and the club has seemingly backed Powell rather than player power. Whether that’s a success, remains to be seen. 

The problem is, I'm not sure what else he can say. He has to give this narrative, irrespective of the accuracy. 

Any other narrative is a reflection of his coaching. 

It is also quite clever - saying he hasn't seen this at any other club, reinforcing the point that the issue is Warrington, not him, and it's not his ideas or approach that has been an issue in the slightest, it is them, not him. 

Maybe a touch of self reflection, and trying to understand why not a single established player has improved under him. Thewlis and Wrench have broken through as you would expect, but even there it hasn't been plain sailing. 

I'm a firm believer that it can't always be everyone else's fault. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Dave T said:

None of that gives me any bit of confidence in him. It shows his character tbh, which is to blame everyone else, which is something that has come across in almost every interview in his career when he has lost a game on Sky. 

He is blaming others. He talks about changing a whole squad, which is nonsense and I don't think any other coach in the world would be discussing that kind of thing - it undermines some very very good players. 

The whole interview is very insular, moaning about the players, the fans, wondering how we lost games through bad luck (nowt to do with him) , saying we should be in the 6. 

It's rather worrying imo. With Tony Smith and the like it always feels like there is an element of control and a worthy plan. He seems to have taken the 'get us over the finish line of winning a Grand Final' to mean 'we need to completely change everything about the squad' when that generally isn't what is ever needed at any club. I'm not sure why Warrington would be different to other clubs. 

I disagree with this assessment of the interview.

Let me start by saying that he may or may not be the right man for the job and time will tell if he is successful or not but I think this interview displays a positive rather than a negative.

As I have said before on here, I believe that Powell has been clearing out players who refuse to change and adapt to his approach.  Such people make the whole process of change extremely difficult as they push back at every small change and are usually very vocal about it.  It is so hard to deliver results with such people around.

As someone who has exited very talented but very toxic people from businesses, these are the tough calls that look initially like you are reducing the capability but the long term positive on culture is well worth it.

2023 is the year we will see if the club and Powell has made the right calls.  He has had a full recruitment cycle of his own and you would expect to see these changes deliver or not.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I disagree with this assessment of the interview.

Let me start by saying that he may or may not be the right man for the job and time will tell if he is successful or not but I think this interview displays a positive rather than a negative.

As I have said before on here, I believe that Powell has been clearing out players who refuse to change and adapt to his approach.  Such people make the whole process of change extremely difficult as they push back at every small change and are usually very vocal about it.  It is so hard to deliver results with such people around.

As someone who has exited very talented but very toxic people from businesses, these are the tough calls that look initially like you are reducing the capability but the long term positive on culture is well worth it.

2023 is the year we will see if the club and Powell has made the right calls.  He has had a full recruitment cycle of his own and you would expect to see these changes deliver or not.

I agree with your last para, and have consistently said as much, but I'm not sure why he gets a free pass. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, dropping from 3rd in the table, to battling relegation is pretty much unprecedented. Are his methods really so radical and different that a strong squad are so resistant to it to trash the squad? 

Saints went through a period where they lost final after final, but it wasn't seen as any more than rugby reasons and they changed coaches like we have to try and find success. It took them a few changes before they became dominant again. But at no stage did they drop to 10th and battle relegation. 

I ask this question time and time again, what exactly was the indicator at Wire that we needed a mass clear out, because he hints that is what fans wanted, when nobody was clamouring for that when we were sticking 40 on Wigan last year completing the treble over them, or beating Saints. We're now celebrating beating bottom of the table at home like it's the Grand Final. If that's what they mean by bringing good times back, I think they have it slightly wrong. 

There is no humility in anything Powell has said. He is blaming the players, the fans, the Rugby God's. But no self reflection other than a vague 'I've learnt a lot'. 

I think he was 40minutes from the sack on Thursday, its not what I want, I want us to see it through and for him and the squad to come good, but I'm not seeing a single bright spark from his coaching at the moment. I am seeing good signs from some of the club signings though. 

Edited by Dave T

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree with your last para, and have consistently said as much, but I'm not sure why he gets a free pass. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, dropping from 3rd in the table, to battling relegation is pretty much unprecedented. Are his methods really so radical and different that a strong squad are so resistant to it to trash the squad? 

Saints went through a period where they lost final after final, but it wasn't seen as any more than rugby reasons and they changed coaches like we have to try and find success. It took them a few changes before they became dominant again. But at no stage did they drop to 10th and battle relegation. 

I ask this question time and time again, what exactly was the indicator at Wire that we needed a mass clear out, because he hints that is what fans wanted, when nobody was clamouring for that when we were sticking 40 on Wigan last year completing the treble over them, or beating Saints. We're now celebrating beating bottom of the table at home like it's the Grand Final. If that's what they mean by bringing good times back, I think they have it slightly wrong. 

There is no humility in anything Powell has said. He is blaming the players, the fans, the Rugby God's. But no self reflection other than a vague 'I've learnt a lot'. 

I think he was 40minutes from the sack on Thursday, its not what I want, I want us to see it through and for him and the squad to come good, but I'm not seeing a single bright spark from his coaching at the moment. I am seeing good signs from some of the club signings though. 

I don't disagree with the substance of your post.  Performance has dropped and the coach needs to take responsibility for that.  But if he has explained to stakeholders that he is going through a process then I would be inclined to give him time to complete that.  And he has his own signings in the team next year so it is make or break.

As for no humility.  He says "it’s been a learning experience. I think I will come out of this season, in one season, having learned more than in the rest of my coaching career." That sounds to me like someone who is prepared to say he is constantly learning and its been a tough year.  There is humility in this I think.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The problem is, I'm not sure what else he can say. He has to give this narrative, irrespective of the accuracy. 

Any other narrative is a reflection of his coaching. 

It is also quite clever - saying he hasn't seen this at any other club, reinforcing the point that the issue is Warrington, not him, and it's not his ideas or approach that has been an issue in the slightest, it is them, not him. 

Maybe a touch of self reflection, and trying to understand why not a single established player has improved under him. Thewlis and Wrench have broken through as you would expect, but even there it hasn't been plain sailing. 

I'm a firm believer that it can't always be everyone else's fault. 

Totally

There has to be some accountability in being able to manage difficult situations. 

As a manager in any area of life you dont always get the group of people you want and in this day and age you cant simply get rid of them. 

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't disagree with the substance of your post.  Performance has dropped and the coach needs to take responsibility for that.  But if he has explained to stakeholders that he is going through a process then I would be inclined to give him time to complete that.  And he has his own signings in the team next year so it is make or break.

As for no humility.  He says "it’s been a learning experience. I think I will come out of this season, in one season, having learned more than in the rest of my coaching career." That sounds to me like someone who is prepared to say he is constantly learning and its been a tough year.  There is humility in this I think.

Maybe there is humility in that, but if he fundamentally believes the reasons are other people then it's a challenge. 

As I say, I'm on board with him having another 12m.

2 minutes ago, The storm said:

Totally

There has to be some accountability in being able to manage difficult situations. 

As a manager in any area of life you dont always get the group of people you want and in this day and age you cant simply get rid of them. 

It's part of my issue, change management is a huge skill. 

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Maybe there is humility in that, but if he fundamentally believes the reasons are other people then it's a challenge. 

As I say, I'm on board with him having another 12m.

It's a fine balance isn't it.  You can hardly have a coach who thinks he is the problem... he should have some courage in his convictions. But at the same time a leader has to say results are ultimately down to him and take responsibility when they are not where they need to be.

It is someone else's call to decide if what he does is working or not though.

• Like 1

Without being too specific or naming names I'd love to see a range of examples of what DP is talking about. I've no idea of what goes on in the changing room/training pitch. Is it just snide asides/ in your face insolence/ out and out non compliance?

Must be hard for a coach in this position but if the board have employed him and and backed him then what argument does the long term player(s) have?

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

One of those discussion where both points of view are probably valid and correct.

Powell has clearly inherited more issues than he was anticipating eg players not buying into new systems etc but he seems to have lacked the man management skills to overcome any difficulties without shipping out the player(s) concerned.

How much experience has Powell really got and how good is he at delivering? In all honesty the jury is still out.

At Fev he partially delivered and wasn’t on the end of too much if any criticism. At Cas he over achieved most years but with a squad that was his and with systems that didn’t change  

However, towards the end when Cas were more mid table/ on the fringes of play off places he struggled to improve performances and spent an inordinate amount of time over his last 2 seasons blaming others especially the RFL and the match officials. 

The interview shows traits of the above especially in the “blame others” part. can Powell deliver and what is his Plan B? Unless it all falls into place very early next season then Warrington will be faced with the consequences of an expensive mistake. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, LeeF said:

One of those discussion where both points of view are probably valid and correct.

Powell has clearly inherited more issues than he was anticipating eg players not buying into new systems etc but he seems to have lacked the man management skills to overcome any difficulties without shipping out the player(s) concerned.

How much experience has Powell really got and how good is he at delivering? In all honesty the jury is still out.

At Fev he partially delivered and wasn’t on the end of too much if any criticism. At Cas he over achieved most years but with a squad that was his and with systems that didn’t change  

However, towards the end when Cas were more mid table/ on the fringes of play off places he struggled to improve performances and spent an inordinate amount of time over his last 2 seasons blaming others especially the RFL and the match officials. 

The interview shows traits of the above especially in the “blame others” part. can Powell deliver and what is his Plan B? Unless it all falls into place very early next season then Warrington will be faced with the consequences of an expensive mistake. 

I think that's all fair.