RL heros - Peter Gorley

Rugby League heros.

Peter Gorley (born 10 July 1951) former professional rugby league player who played 361 games from 1975 to 1987.

Peter was probably my first hero as a kid, watching Saints to me as a young person, 10 maybe(1983), he was a man mountain, I couldn't believe anyone would ever better him.....ever

Born in Maryport Cumberland, Peter played at representative level for Great Britain, England and Cumbria, and at club level for Broughton Red Rose ARLFC, Workington Town, St. Helens and Whitehaven, as a second-row or prop during the era of contested scrums.

Peter won caps for England while at St. Helens in 1980 against Wales, and France (sub), in 1981 against Wales, and won caps for Great Britain while at St. Helens in 1980 against New Zealand, and in 1981 against France.

Was highly respected by his fellow players as identified in Arnold 'Boxer' Walkers brilliant book when he heaped praise on the forwards who led the way for his own top performances. Great book BTW, boxer shares some insightful stories from that era. 

Please follow/subscribe on YouTube were we will be expanding our Legends series following great feedback on Eric Grothes episode, more to come - https://youtube.com/channel/UCkfchHdQicJNe5KtThfWZlw

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Peter and his brother Les were a fearsome second row pairing for Town. We had a great pack in the late 70s as good as any in the league.

That's some 2nd row when you consider they would also have Eddie Bowman at the same time

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

26 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

That's some 2nd row when you consider they would also have Eddie Bowman at the same time

Yes indeed

Peter was a fantastic player,  just like his brother les who had some great seasons at my team widnes. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Eddie Bowman played prop in that Town team with the other prop being one of Jim Mills, Harry Beverley or Derek Watts. Alan Banks was the hooker. Then the Gorley brothers with Billy Pattinson at loose forward. Plus of course the genius that was Boxer Walker directing them round the field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally