The World Cup

8 minutes ago, UTK said:

Young has been head and shoulders above most on that list this year despite playing in a much worse team than all of them, certainly Martin, Kaufusi (elected for Tonga anyway), Arrow and probably Capewell, Matterson also isn't an edge anymore.

Nonetheless I don't think any of the big nations will be scared of Australia's forward pack, defections have hurt our depth and other nations have the best forwards in the game at the moment. The spine is really the only place I would say Australia remains the strongest.

I think this is a very fair assessment.

Tedesco and Mitchell as full backs (with Mitchell in the run on side in the centre), Munster, Cleary and Cherry-Evans as the halves and Hunt (as a half back up) and Grant at 9. Then Yeo and Murray as options for 13. 

This is the strongest spine options for the World Cup, no doubt.

But when you look at the front row rotation and then edge forwards and centre they come back to the pack a bit.

Should be great to see this world cup unfold.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

This would be Australia 17

1-Tedesco

2-Addo-Carr

3-Mitchell

4-Holmes

5-Suaalii

6-Munster

7-DCE

8-Haas

9-Hunt

10-Trbojevic

11-Murray

12-Nanai

13-Yeo

14-Grant

15-Cleary

16-RCG

17-Carrigan

The backline looks strong but I wouldn’t say it’s an especially intimidating forward pack for other nations looking in. I’d be very ( pleasantly ) surprised if they pick JTurbo at prop , I don’t see that at all . I also don’t see Grant and Cleary on the bench , I’d expect someone like Hunt to cover both . Also especially without the Penrith spine he’s so strong in I’d pick Murray at 13

Edited by DavidM

39 minutes ago, Scubby said:

All these defections will have spooked him for sure. He could well go rogue trying to pick 'Aussie' characters instead of the best options.

I'm more worried Mal will go the other way - filling his wider squad with players eligible for other countries and only playing them in the weaker pool games to prevent them from lining up against Australia.

• Like 1

Just now, UTK said:

I'm more worried Mal will go the other way - filling his wider squad with players eligible for other countries and only playing them in the weaker pool games to prevent them from lining up against Australia.

They are telling him left, right and centre they don't want to play for Australia - To'o, Papalli and Paulo just in recent weeks. Luai is certain to commit to Samoa too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Are New Zealand going under the radar a bit in this World Cup . They still look particularly strong ?

They are going to be extremely strong, the forward pack in particular is going to be one of the best we've seen assembled for a very long time IMO and they have the spine to back it up. 

One weakness for them is probably the lack of depth at centre, especially with Reimis Smith ruled out for the season. For team balance I would've considered playing Te Maire Martin at fullback with Joey Manu left in the centres but Madge has made it clear Manu will be fullback (which is understandable anyway)

2 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

My Nz squad Would Be

1-Manu

2-Mulitalo

3-Hiku

4-CNK

5-Rapana

6-Brown

7-Hughes

8-JWH

9-Smith

10-JFH

11-Papali’i

12-Harris

13-Tapine

14-JMK

15-Leota

16-NAS

17-Jesse Bromwich

18-Kenny Bromwich

Was going to list my side but this is practically the same, I would have only slightly different pack. 

8. Tapine, 9. Smith, 10. JFH, 11. KBromwich, 12. Papali'i, 13. Harris

14. JMK, 15. NAS, 16. JWH, 17. Niukore

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UTK said:

They are going to be extremely strong, the forward pack in particular is going to be one of the best we've seen assembled for a very long time IMO and they have the spine to back it up. 

One weakness for them is probably the lack of depth at centre, especially with Reimis Smith ruled out for the season. For team balance I would've considered playing Te Maire Martin at fullback with Joey Manu left in the centres but Madge has made it clear Manu will be fullback (which is understandable anyway)

Was going to list my side but this is practically the same, I would have only slightly different pack. 

8. Tapine, 9. Smith, 10. JFH, 11. KBromwich, 12. Papali'i, 13. Harris

14. JMK, 15. NAS, 16. JWH, 17. Niukore

Harris at lock is a good shout, He’s a fantastic ball player and has played 5/8 for NZ before.

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

They are telling him left, right and centre they don't want to play for Australia - To'o, Papalli and Paulo just in recent weeks. Luai is certain to commit to Samoa too.

Yep but I don't think it'll stop him from going after those remaining anyway, whether they say yes or no is another matter - think the likes of Suaalii (probably deserves to be a starter anyway), Coates, Koroisau, Stephen Crichton(hasn't made a firm commitment yet), David Fifita, Nanai (again solid claim as a first 17 anyway). 

But I could definitely see him taking a guy like David Fifita in the extended squad if only to stop him from playing against Australia in a final.

44 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

This would be my Australia 17

1-Tedesco

2-Addo-Carr

3-Mitchell

4-Holmes

5-Suaalii

6-Munster

7-DCE

8-Haas

9-Hunt

10-Trbojevic

11-Murray

12-Nanai

13-Yeo

14-Grant

15-Cleary

16-RCG

17-Carrigan

That is a good team, no doubt but lacks size in the forwards (so they would look to play a fast game which is no bad thing).  But when lining up against the bigger packs they may struggle - particularly in Autumn UK conditions.

Also, with Hunt in the side able to cover the halves, I think that Cleary on the bench is not needed - I would have another edge forward there in case of injury to an outside back and Nanai could shift into the centre.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

45 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

1-Tedesco

2-Addo-Carr

3-Mitchell

4-Holmes

5-Suaalii

6-Munster

7-DCE

8-Haas

9-Hunt

10-Trbojevic

11-Murray

12-Nanai

13-Yeo

14-Grant

15-Cleary

16-RCG

17-Carrigan

Lets hope you're picking the team then 🙂

Why would you carry a traditional 14 and a 7 on the bench? Addo-Carr gets no where near a Aussie squad this year. As an England fan, i'd also like to see Jake at 10. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1) Welsby 

2)Makinson

3)Newman ( injury worries ) 

4)Farnworth ( hopefully fit )

5)Young ( he can tell me he doesn’t want to play )

6)Williams 

7)Tomkins

8 ) Walmsley

9)Radley

10) Thompson

11) Bateman

12) I’m not sure . Whitehead ? Mcmeeken/Batchelor 

13) Knowles

14)Clark ( not sold but other options ?)

15) T Burgess

16)Oledzki 

17) Dunno , Watkins / KPP to cover edge & centre 

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

1) Welsby 

2)Makinson

6)Williams 

7)Tomkins

8 ) Walmsley

9)Radley

10) Thompson

11) Bateman

13) Knowles

15) T Burgess

16)Oledzki 

I don't watch SL, but there appears to be a lack of 'old school leadership' in that 17. Also, not sure of Williams at 6. That suggests you'd split the halves, but then you're taking away from Tomkins being 1st man both sides which i like the idea of. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

51 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

1-Tedesco

2-Addo-Carr

3-Mitchell

4-Holmes

5-Suaalii

6-Munster

7-DCE

8-Haas

9-Hunt

10-Trbojevic

11-Murray

12-Nanai

13-Yeo

14-Grant

15-Cleary

16-RCG

17-Carrigan

No way Cleary's in the bench. DCE was good in origin but Cleary will start easily.

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

1) Welsby 

2)Makinson

6)Williams 

7)Tomkins

8 ) Walmsley

9)Radley

10) Thompson

11) Bateman

13) Knowles

15) T Burgess

16)Oledzki 

My Changes Would Be

Handley > Young (If He plays For Jamaica)

Farrell Into the back row

And If Roby Plays Start Him at 9 Radley at 13 and knowles at 12

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

1) Welsby 

2)Makinson

6)Williams 

7)Tomkins

8 ) Walmsley

9)Radley

10) Thompson

11) Bateman

13) Knowles

15) T Burgess

16)Oledzki 

England running short on hookers in the SL? 😂

3 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

NZD look strong. But, Hughes has been injured a fair bit and Brown at 6 isn't inspiring and whilst he's very good, there's a reason why Smith doesnt play 9 for Melbourne.

It's the hope that kills you.

Hughes Has only been injured for like 4 games this season, Brown is one the best Players in the nrl right now. And Did you not see Brandon smith’s try last week he is one of the best hookers in the nrl.

• Like 1

Just now, SydneyRoosters said:

Hughes Has only been injured for like 4 games this season, Brown is one the best Players in the nrl right now. And Did you not see Brandon smith’s try last week he is one of the best hookers in the nrl.

If you're saying Brown is one of the best players in the NRL then you need your head examined. Seriously?

I like Hughes, but yes, injured now and possibly rushed back for playoffs. Not great prep, but i'm saying this more in hope as i alluded to.

Who was playing hooker when Smith scored? It wasn't Smith. 

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

I dont think Cook is as good as he once was, but Grant is a brilliant 9 and yes, with Koroisau as a potential 14, that would be worrying.

I think Cook needs his forwards to set the platform with quick the balls. I wouldn't like to write off Australia but their pack certainly isn't a standout to provide that.