The World Cup

6 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Suaalii is the best winger in the world no questions. He is nailed on for an Australian Wing Spot

Geez you need to take your Sydney Roosters cap off and talk more realistically because next you'll be saying JWH is the best prop in the world

• Like 1

Fiji (depending on some Australian selections)

1. S Turuva. 
2. M Sivo. 
3. W Blake. 
4. M Montoya.
5. M Ravalawa.
6. J Lovodua.
7. B Wakeham. 
8. D Saifiti. 
9. A Koroisau. 
10. R Campbell-Gillard.
11. V Kikau. 
12. T Sims. 
13. T Kamikamica. 
14. P Tagituamua.
15. J Saifiti.
16. K Vuniyayawa. 
17. B Nakubuwai.

T Sadrugu, K Naiqama, T Milne, K Evans, J Ratuvakacerivalu, K Sims, S Moceidreke, J QareQare & I Lumelume to round out a squad. Quite a few others at NSW or QLD Cup level in the mix as well. Obviously Saifiti bros, RCG & Koroisau in the mix for Australia.

Edited by jim_57
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Fiji (depending on some Australian selections)

1. S Turuva. 
2. M Sivo. 
3. W Blake. 
4. M Montoya.
5. M Ravalawa.
6. J Lovodua.
7. B Wakeham. 
8. D Saifiti. 
9. A Koroisau. 
10. R Campbell-Gillard.
11. V Kikau. 
12. T Sims. 
13. T Kamikamica. 
14. P Tagituamua.
15. J Saifiti.
16. K Vuniyayawa. 
17. B Nakubuwai.

T Sadrugu, K Naiqama, T Milne, K Evans, J Ratuvakacerivalu, K Sims, S Moceidreke, J QareQare & I Lumelume to round out a squad. Quite a few others at NSW or QLD Cup level in the mix as well. Obviously Saifiti bros, RCG & Koroisau in the mix for Australia.

Solid. Struggle at 1, 6 & 7 too much to even threaten the big 3.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

PNG

1. A Johnston
2. X Coates
3. N MacDonald
4. J Olam
5. R Derby
6. K Laybutt
7. L Lam
8. E Kapinias
9. J Segeyaro
10. J De Belin
11. R Martin
12. N Putt
13. J Alick
14. E Ipape
15. M Yei
16. S Namo
17. D Russell

S Wane, B Biondi-Odo, S Tanabi, L Horne, E Waine, E Gebbie, W Albert, R Wavik.

Coates the only chance at Australian selection there.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Solid. Struggle at 1, 6 & 7 too much to even threaten the big 3.

I don’t think it’s any worse than they’ve had before. All 3 have NRL or Super League experience, just a shame Wakeham has dropped out of favour at Bulldogs & Turuva is only getting some NRL games now. If Koroisau doesn’t play for them it’s a massive hit to their quality. Mind you they are pretty much destined to meet NZ in the quarters and I don’t see a massive upset again against this kiwis team.

• Like 1

My French squad

1-Arthur Mourge

2-Fouad Yaha

3-Arthur Romano

4-Matthieu Laguerre

5-Paul Marcon

6-Tony Gigot

7-Theo Fages

8-Romain Navarette

9-Elliot Pellisier

10-Jordan Dezaria

11-Benjamin Jillien

12-Mickael Goudemand

13-Ben Garcia

14-Alrix Da Costa

15-Justin Sangare

16-Lambert Belmas

17-Paul Seguier

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I don't think Welsby is ready for a starting spot in the World Cup for England. Think he would be a great bench option though.

I’m not sure what ‘ isn’t ready ‘ means . If you’re good enough then I guess you’re ready and you won’t know until you’re in that environment  . Welsby is 21 and played getting on for 100 SL games , won two grand finals and a challenge cup . He looks the part and takes things in his stride . There’ll be a lot of young players in the WC entering this environment for the first time , younger than him even but who look very ready. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Suaalii is the best winger in the world no questions. He is nailed on for an Australian Wing Spot

Suaalii isn't the best winger at the Roosters yet.  He is talented and showing up really well for his age but Tupou is still a class player who I would rely on more in the finals.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’m not sure what ‘ isn’t ready ‘ means . If you’re good enough then I guess you’re ready and you won’t know until you’re in that environment  . Welsby is 21 and played getting on for 100 SL games , won two grand finals and a challenge cup . He looks the part and takes things in his stride . There’ll be a lot of young players in the WC entering this environment for the first time , younger than him even but who look very ready. 

Welby is quick and always shows great aggression and determination. He doesn't strike me as the sort who'd be overawed. He also has the uncanny knack of always being in the right place at the right time. He offers far more for me than some of the other players that are being touted, often just because they are experienced.

Edited by Damien

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think it is better than the combination in the 2017 World Cup Final that lost by 6 to the Kangaroos in Australia.

Of course there are other variables to that team and this year but you can only pick what you have available.

And so you gave a politician's answer and completly avoided the question.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And so you gave a politician's answer and completly avoided the question.

At home, yes I think it is good enough to win the World Cup.

I believe that the Kangaroos (while still favourites) have come back to the pack with a lot of players deciding to play for heritage nations.

That means that there are maybe 5 teams who I think could win it... England, Australia, New Zealand, Tonga and maybe  Samoa with Fiji and PNG able to pull off an upset against these sides as well.

As tournaments become tighter, any advantage become more relevant.   One is English conditions but far more important is home advantage.

I think we can win it yes.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, MattSantos said:

England. Any news on Farnworths injury? Will he be fit?

Talk is he will be back for the NRL finals.

a lot of talk about the kangaroos not having strength in depth in the forwards but all they will really need to do this time round is lay a platform for that scintillating back line - nothing more nothing less - nothing spectacular needed just solid graft and job done

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

59 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

a lot of talk about the kangaroos not having strength in depth in the forwards but all they will really need to do this time round is lay a platform for that scintillating back line - nothing more nothing less - nothing spectacular needed just solid graft and job done

At their best, NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and England all have packs at least the equal, some if not better, than Australia.

If the Kangaroos' pack is on the back foot, their back three might have to go from thoroughbreds to packhorses, maybe at cost to their attacking prowess.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

What is the scintillating Kangaroo back line that you would pick?

35 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What is the scintillating Kangaroo back line that you would pick?

tedesco - holmes - mitchell - turbo (if fit) or swap with holmes if not  - addo carr  at the min 

anyone of those can turn a game with one glimpse of the class they ooze and would easily replace the Eng players if they qualified for us  instead of oz - its hard to take but at 1/7 at the bookies ! well bookies dont run their businesses on hope and sentiment- i hope i am wrong - i really really do - i would love to be wrong but just cant see it

17 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

tedesco - holmes - mitchell - turbo (if fit) or swap with holmes if not  - addo carr  at the min 

Trbojevic said last week he is highly unlikely to be fit.

The last time Australia played in a World Cup in this country the backline for the final was...

1. Billy Slater

2. Brett Morris

3. Greg Inglis

4. Jarrd Hayne

5. Darius Boyd

With Trbojevic out, I would take that backline over the 2022 version every day of the week.

The Kangaroos in 2022 are good but compared with what we have seen for the last 3 or 4 decades they are not vintage.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

anyone of those can turn a game with one glimpse of the class they ooze and would easily replace the Eng players if they qualified for us  instead of oz - its hard to take but at 1/7 at the bookies ! well bookies dont run their businesses on hope and sentiment- i hope i am wrong - i really really do - i would love to be wrong but just cant see it

Unfortunately Turbo isn’t gonna make it

• Like 1