The World Cup

14 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I think I'd still have Burgess and Marshall ahead of Young for the left wing, if I'm being honest. He's definitely another option though, having been one of the few bright sparks in a miserable season for Newcastle.

Marhsall Yes, Burgess no way. Young has been better in the nrl than burgess has been in the SL No chance burgess gets the spot over young.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Marhsall Yes, Burgess no way. Young has been better in the nrl than burgess has been in the SL No chance burgess gets the spot over young.

I thought Burgess wasn't going to get back up there, but he's been going really well. I think his size and try-scoring (attributes shared by Young) would see him do well in the international arena. He's also got a maturity and a confidence about him this season, having been playing in the Salford side.

I think having Makinson and Burgess on the wings would give power, strength, and threat out wide. I'd probably go with them as starting wing-men. There are going to be some monster edge units and size could come in handy.

Marshall deserves to be there as a squad back-up. I'm not sure who I'd have as my second back-up winger - if you need a fourth. Tom Davis might be the man. The one area where he and Marshall might struggle though is size.

I expect Wane to go with Makinson, Hall, Marshall and Young (if he goes with four wingers). As the season has gone on, I've become more convinced that this WC is just a bit too far for an aging Ryan Hall. I don't think he should make the squad, in all honesty. He's been great, but there are players available who can be more effective on the international stage.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Wouldn’t have Young down as Wane’s kind of winger, in all honesty. Would guess that one of Davies or Marshall misses out, then. 

I’m not sure what Wane’s type of winger is but he must have pushed to get Young included behind the scenes I would guess

Young has plenty to work on (high ball and defensive reads particularly) but we don't have an athlete like him, plus his versatility to play centre is crucial given how small the tournament squads are required to be. His kick returns are also as good as anyones, something which will be especially important against Samoa.

Makinson is an obvious guaranteed starter

Handley would be in but I'm fairly certain he's now ruled out with injury.

Tom Davies hasn't hit anything like last year's form.

Liam Marshall has been excellent, but I'm concerned he's another 'very good SL, not test level' player.

Burgess has been excellent and is more physically suited to test level than Marshall.

Murphy looks a superstar but it's probably a year too soon.

All in all, Young making at least the squad makes a lot of sense. Not because he's the finished article or because he plays in the NRL. However, he's coming off a good season and has genuinely world class attributes compared with a group of wingers who, bar Makinson, are not bona fide world class.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’m not sure what Wane’s type of winger is but he must have pushed to get Young included behind the scenes I would guess

Wane likes hard working wingers who make good yards and can make break. Young is definitely his type of winger. Makinson too.

Fiji name their extended squad for the WC: 

Backs:
1 Kevin Naiqama
2 Marcelo Montoya
3 Maika Sivo
4 Semi Valemei
5 Waqa Blake
6 Taane Milne
7 Mikaele Ravalawa
8 Braydon Wakeham
9 Sitiveni Moceidreke
10 Netane Masima
11 Isaac Lumelume
12 Sunia Turuva
13 Vuate Karawalevu
14 Jason Qareqare
15 Ratu Inoke Vasuturaga
16 Ilaitia Moceidreke

Forwards:

1 Apisai Koroisau
2 Joe Lovodua
3 Penioni Tagituimua
4 Tariq Sims
5 Viliame Kikau
6 Daniel Saifiti
7 Jacob Saifiti
8 Ben Nakubuwai
9 Tui Kamikamica
10 Korbin Sims
11 King Vuniyayawa
12 Reagan Campbell Gillard
13 Taniela Sadrugu
14 Pio Maisamoa Seci
15 Joseph Ratu Vakacereivalu
16 Lamar Manuel Liolevave
17 Siua Wong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UTK said:

Backs:
1 Kevin Naiqama
2 Marcelo Montoya
3 Maika Sivo
4 Semi Valemei
5 Waqa Blake
6 Taane Milne
7 Mikaele Ravalawa
8 Braydon Wakeham
9 Sitiveni Moceidreke
10 Netane Masima
11 Isaac Lumelume
12 Sunia Turuva
13 Vuate Karawalevu
14 Jason Qareqare
15 Ratu Inoke Vasuturaga
16 Ilaitia Moceidreke

Forwards:

1 Apisai Koroisau
2 Joe Lovodua
3 Penioni Tagituimua
4 Tariq Sims
5 Viliame Kikau
6 Daniel Saifiti
7 Jacob Saifiti
8 Ben Nakubuwai
9 Tui Kamikamica
10 Korbin Sims
11 King Vuniyayawa
13 Taniela Sadrugu
14 Pio Maisamoa Seci
17 Siua Wong

Strong if they can get most of those players on the park. RCG and Koroisau big chances for Kangaroos spots I’d say. Daniel Saifiti has said he wants the off season off.

1 hour ago, UTK said:

Backs:
1 Kevin Naiqama
2 Marcelo Montoya
3 Maika Sivo
4 Semi Valemei
5 Waqa Blake
6 Taane Milne
7 Mikaele Ravalawa
8 Braydon Wakeham
9 Sitiveni Moceidreke
10 Netane Masima
11 Isaac Lumelume
12 Sunia Turuva
13 Vuate Karawalevu
14 Jason Qareqare
15 Ratu Inoke Vasuturaga
16 Ilaitia Moceidreke

Forwards:

1 Apisai Koroisau
2 Joe Lovodua
3 Penioni Tagituimua
4 Tariq Sims
5 Viliame Kikau
6 Daniel Saifiti
7 Jacob Saifiti
8 Ben Nakubuwai
9 Tui Kamikamica
10 Korbin Sims
11 King Vuniyayawa
13 Taniela Sadrugu
14 Pio Maisamoa Seci
17 Siua Wong

Wow that’s very surprising, I thought Campbell-Gillard was gonna play for australia, Daniel Saifiti Said he wasn’t gonna play in the world cup and I didn’t know Siua Wong was Fijian he is a really good player.

19 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Saifiti must have changed his mind.

3 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I just watched the interview where he announces the squad and he says that none of the players have even been told about this squad yet. so I doubt Campbell-Gillard will play for them.

Yep. Fiji are notorious for naming players without any communication, RCG, the Saifitis, Sims and potentially Koroisau's inclusion should be taken with a major grain of salt.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, UTK said:

Yep. Fiji are notorious for naming players without any communication, RCG, the Saifitis, Sims and potentially Koroisau's inclusion should be taken with a major grain of salt.

Yeah, I do think Korisau will be selected though Meninga recently said he was only taking 2 hookers out of Hunt, Grant, Cook, Korisau and Robson and I very Much doubt he’ll make it.

• Like 1

Surely Hunt and Grant will be the two Kangaroo hookers, which would mean that Koroisau was available for the Bati.

I think I'd have Hunt starting after his amazing 2022, and the impact of Grant spicing things up off the bench. Damian Cook isn't quite the force he used to be IMO. I think he probably misses out on the Aussie squad.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UTK said:

Yeh I’d be surprised if any more than 1-2 of those end up in the final squad but I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

I didn’t realise Tariq Sims hadn’t played for Fiji since 2013. In saying that it will be his last chance at a World Cup and very very low chance he makes the Australian squad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Yeh I’d be surprised if any more than 1-2 of those end up in the final squad but I’d be happy to be proven wrong.

I didn’t realise Tariq Sims hadn’t played for Fiji since 2013. In saying that it will be his last chance at a World Cup and very very low chance he makes the Australian squad.

Yeah I discovered the same thing about Tariq when I was trying to draw up predicted squads a while ago, agree on the 1-2 as Koroisau should be there and JSaf would be a chance but I won't hold my breath for the others.

From memory JSaf badly broke his leg in the 2017 WC and missed most of the next season so I also wouldn't be overly surprised if he opted out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UTK said:

Yeah I discovered the same thing about Tariq when I was trying to draw up predicted squads a while ago, agree on the 1-2 as Koroisau should be there and JSaf would be a chance but I won't hold my breath for the others.

From memory JSaf badly broke his leg in the 2017 WC and missed most of the next season so I also wouldn't be overly surprised if he opted out.

Just looked RCG was 2014 and the other 3 were 2017 so it will be interesting to see who pulls out. It will still be a decent side but to be any chance of making it past the quarters they’d need a few of those, mainly Koroisau. NZ won’t be nearly as easy to knock out in the quarters as last time so I’d suggest Fijis fate of 2nd in group then out in quarters is fairly certain.

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

I don’t know , do you ask players to play for you or name them and let them tell you they don’t want to play 

I can confirm that when I was playing North West Counties and University Rugby League that I didn't officially tell Great Britain that I wasn't available and so I assume they didn't select me.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 07/09/2022 at 10:13, DavidM said:

Probably academic but Ponga withdraws from selection availability 

I think he was in with a shout.  The Aussies put a lot of stock on State of Origin and he was the full back for the winning Queensland side in all three this year and man of the match in the decider.  Remember the SOO coaches are joining Meninga in the selection panel.

Tedesco is first choice but I think Ponga may have made the squad if Tom Trbojevic is unfit and Mitchell maybe is looked at as a centre.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

35 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think he was in with a shout.  The Aussies put a lot of stock on State of Origin and he was the full back for the winning Queensland side in all three this year and man of the match in the decider.  Remember the SOO coaches are joining Meninga in the selection panel.

Tedesco is first choice but I think Ponga may have made the squad if Tom Trbojevic is unfit and Mitchell maybe is looked at as a centre.

His 'toilet incident' put a pencil through his name a few week back.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

40 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He would have made the squad and probably played a couple of the pool games, backed up for the big ones if there was an injury. To many head knocks this year though. Safety first, an offseason will do him a world of good.