The World Cup

9 hours ago, UTK said:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/13/judiciary-report-all-the-latest-charges/

This is a big problem that needs to be fixed ASAP - a domestic competition governed by a participating Nation at the World Cup should have no power to deliver an arbitrary suspension length on players from other competing nations (IMO none of the bans should carry across but this particular imbalance is mindboggling).

Roosters prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves facing a three-to-four match ban following his Grade Two Dangerous Contact offence on Burgess.

Given the Roosters have been eliminated from this year's finals series, Waerea-Hargreaves will be required to serve his suspension next season or as part of New Zealand's World Cup campaign should he be selected by the Kiwis

Couldn’t agree more . I was half expecting the judiciary to ban Victor for being English . I don’t like JWH but that seems rough he should serve a club suspension next season , he’s at the fag end of his test career so every game matters . And it’s a WC 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

On 10/09/2022 at 03:06, SydneyRoosters said:

Does anyone on here know where Dominic young is born, I’m trying to make a map of all of the birth places of players on every World Cup team, Im starting with England.

Not entirely sure where he was born, but I know he played for Dewsbury Moor as his community club before signing for Huddersfield. 

8 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Yeah I've always found it baffling that suspensions from domestic comps carry over into international comps. You could easily screw over other nations in this instance.

Not only screwing over other nations but giving favourable treatment to your own too. 

Imagine Cleary decides to drop someone on their head again in a Prelim that the Panthers lose but he only gets given a 1 match suspension or a fine so he gets on the plane to England. 

If Tommy Makinson decides to go squirrel gripping again do you think the RFL will suspend him for an entire home World Cup?

The possibility for situations such as the above to occur must be eliminated entirely, it shrouds the legitimacy of the World Cup.

• Like 1

The 4 NRL games at the weekend again show what talent will be coming to these shores for the world cup,I've said before it's a shame that a large percentage of our population aren't aware of the level that the game is in Australia, looking forward to seeing Coates, Olam and Alex Johnston playing for PNG 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Route66 said:

The 4 NRL games at the weekend again show what talent will be coming to these shores for the world cup,I've said before it's a shame that a large percentage of our population aren't aware of the level that the game is in Australia, looking forward to seeing Coates, Olam and Alex Johnston playing for PNG 

The play off standard was off the scale and coming into a WC off that level is a massive advantage , no mistake .

21 minutes ago, Route66 said:

That's my favourite weekend of the year for the NRL.  4 absolutely top quality games.

What I find amazing is the intensity that all the games were played at... even the one's where the losers got a second chance.

The only positive for England at the World Cup is that the talent is spread across so many international teams these days.

Look at the pack from the team of the week from NRL.com

8. James Fisher-Harris 

9. Blake Brailey 

10. Joseph Tapine

11. Isaiah Papali'i

12. Learn Koloamatangi 

13. Jason Taumalolo 

All bar the 9 are from teams other than Australia.  It really is going to be so competitive. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

28 minutes ago, Route66 said:

When you say "large percentage of our population" are you referring to RL fans or the population as a whole? I'm pretty sure every British RL fan is more than aware of the NRL standard! 

1 hour ago, SalfordSlim said:

When you say "large percentage of our population" are you referring to RL fans or the population as a whole? I'm pretty sure every British RL fan is more than aware of the NRL standard! 

Definitely mean population as a whole, even in areas we class as rugby league strongholds the lack of awareness among general sports fans is frightening. However this world cup hopefully will be a game changer 

Interesting watching NRL360 and they were talking about JWH serving his ban in the World Cup . It turned into a laugh a minute about playing Lebanon , Ireland and Jamaica with Buzz basically saying don’t laugh ‘ we’re covering this ‘ . Thought it said a fair bit 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Interesting watching NRL360 and they were talking about JWH serving his ban in the World Cup . It turned into a laugh a minute about playing Lebanon , Ireland and Jamaica with Buzz basically saying don’t laugh ‘ we’re covering this ‘ . Thought it said a fair bit 

I love the NRL as a product on the pitch but I don't watch the Aussie talk shows on WatchNRL.  The insular nature of the attitudes and their inability to see what opportunities are possible for the sport outside of NSW and Queensland frustrate me.

But that is their choice, they are happy to be top dogs in their market.  They don't have to change, I get that, but I don't have to watch.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I love the NRL as a product on the pitch but I don't watch the Aussie talk shows on WatchNRL.  The insular nature of the attitudes and their inability to see what opportunities are possible for the sport outside of NSW and Queensland frustrate me.

But that is their choice, they are happy to be top dogs in their market.  They don't have to change, I get that, but I don't have to watch.

No I don’t either . I watched a few 360 episodes early in the season but it grated on me so much I stopped watching . I put this on to see what they said but it reinforced why I gave it up . Honestly , Paul Kent , I don’t know who this bloke thinks he is or why anyone else would want to go on 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Route66 said:

Though there were a few soft trys in the Melbourne game - some poor defence 

From Mick Gledhill's " The Gamecaller" Facebook Page:

Bradford Bulls head coach Mark Dunning and Leigh Beattie have been appointed to assist the Scotland coaching team ahead of the Rugby League World Cup.
Mark is regarded as one of the most exciting young coaching talents and is looking forward to his new opportunity with Scotland.
  • Thanks 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

No I don’t either . I watched a few 360 episodes early in the season but it grated on me so much I stopped watching . I put this on to see what they said but it reinforced why I gave it up . Honestly , Paul Kent , I don’t know who this bloke thinks he is or why anyone else would want to go on 

Paul Kent is the worst kind of 'journalist'. He's embarrassing and it's a disgrace fox league has given him such a profile.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

If you want have a laugh at his playing career, he officially played one first grade game for Parramatta - twinged his hamstring in the warmup and back in those days apparently you couldn't make late changes to the team so he took the field on the wing and walked straight to the bench after they kicked off.

He's since settled into a being a career flog for Murdoch. Wonderful bloke.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

Paul Kent is the worst kind of 'journalist'. He's embarrassing and it's a disgrace fox league has given him such a profile.

I stopped listening to Paul Kent when he said this a few years ago on nrl 360

“I couldn’t care two hoots about Samoa and Fiji. Who wants to really sit down and watch that game?”

Biggest clown on TV. And I don't think players likes that show. All they do is talk about the players and hardly anything positive

• Like 4

Kotoni Staggs has been ruled out of the World Cup for Tonga after being deemed to require an immediate shoulder reconstruction.

Payne Haas requires an immediate shoulder clean out surgery after suffering multiple AC joint injuries throughout the year, should be fit in time for the RLWC.

Pat Carrigan wants to delay an impending ankle surgery that would put him out for 6 weeks until after the WC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, UTK said:

Kotoni Staggs has been ruled out of the World Cup for Tonga after being deemed to require an immediate shoulder reconstruction.

Payne Haas requires an immediate shoulder clean out surgery after suffering multiple AC joint injuries throughout the year, should be fit in time for the RLWC.

Pat Carrigan wants to delay an impending ankle surgery that would put him out for 6 weeks until after the WC.

Massive loss for Tonga that’s really unfortunate.

1 hour ago, UTK said:

I know that this is their living and they probably need to adhere to the clubs wishes but I love this attitude of being desperate to play international rugby and be part of the world cup.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DavidM said:

Rothfield & Kent are the Aussies version of Stadler & Waldorf only more cringeworthy & embarrassing.

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Massive loss for Tonga that’s really unfortunate.

Its not the end of the world for Tonga. Staggs form hasn't been great this year, probably because he has been carrying that injury. I wouldn't have him in the top Tongan side on form. They still have Penisini and Talakai. Koula and Hopoate are handy backups and Suli might even be back from injury by then.