The World Cup

11 minutes ago, B rad said:

Its not the end of the world for Tonga. Staggs form hasn't been great this year, probably because he has been carrying that injury. I wouldn't have him in the top Tongan side on form. They still have Penisini and Talakai. Koula and Hopoate are handy backups and Suli might even be back from injury by then.

While a centre at club level, Staggs has played several of his internationals in the halves though.  Tonga are well off for centres as you say but this injury reduces their options in the half back positions.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

22 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

While a centre at club level, Staggs has played several of his internationals in the halves though.  Tonga are well off for centres as you say but this injury reduces their options in the half back positions.

That's true. Lolohea and Amone will probably play in the halves. If they lose one of those they are in a lot of trouble. If they put Isaiya Katoa in the squad he can provide a decent kicking game (ex union boy) which they really need but the kid hasn't played NRL yet and that is really throwing him in the deep end. I hope they bring him and play him some of the pools. He will probably be their future halfback if he goes ok at the Dolphins next year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Ilias is the big name there 

Surely Greg Koutsimporgiorgos is the biggest name!

• Haha 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Greece is the word Johnny

I was trying to think of a John Travolta pun earlier in the thread but you were quicker than me - like greased lightening  DavidM!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

17 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Kiwis wider training squad. I see the sharks prop Royce Hunt missing. He must be in the samoan squad.  I mean the Kiwis are already stacked at props but also good news for samoa

FB_IMG_1663204521679.jpg

Very surprised Samoa didn't cap him in the mid-season test, should've easily made that side.

Would not be surprised if this is the winning squad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UTK said:

Very surprised Samoa didn't cap him in the mid-season test, should've easily made that side.

Would not be surprised if this is the winning squad.

I agree. He's been playing well for the sharks. Probably didn't get picked because he was waiting to see if he makes the Kiwis.

1 hour ago, Mojo said:

Kiwis wider training squad. I see the sharks prop Royce Hunt missing. He must be in the samoan squad.  I mean the Kiwis are already stacked at props but also good news for samoa

FB_IMG_1663204521679.jpg

Great squad. A bit light on depth at fullback & wing as evidenced by Simonsson & CNK being there despite not having played much first grade this year.

Kris is a surprise, I thought he’d gone with QLD/Australia. Adds some good depth to the centres with Kris, Timoko & Hiku all in good form and of course Manu probably the best centre in the game but will most likely play at fullback.

Not sure if this is actually from an official source but this has started floating around.

Tongan 38 man extended squad.

Talatau 'Amone, Andrew Fifita, David Fifita, Addin Fonua Blake, Moeaki Fotuaika, David Fusitu'a, Siliva Havili, William Hopoate, Konrad Hurrell, Eliesa Katoa, Isaiya Katoa, Sione Katoa, Felise Kaufusi, Oregon Kaufusi, Keaon Koloamatangi, Toluta'u Koula, Tuimoala Lolohea, Soni Luke, Ben Murdoch Masila, Tesi Niu, Joe 'Ofahengaue, Haumole 'Olakau'atu, Taniela 'Otukolo, Agnatius Paasi, Tevita Pangai Jr, Taniela Paseka, Will Penisini, Kotoni Staggs, Daniel Suluka Fifita, Moses Suli, Siosifa Talakai, Tevita Tatola, Sio Siua Taukei'aho, Jason Taumalolo, Starford To'a, Christian Tu'ipulotu, Daniel Tupou, Stefano Utoikamanu

Question beckons as to which David Fifita that is, hopefully the Gold Coast version.