The World Cup

1 hour ago, Mojo said:

No he can't. I'm pretty sure it's in the players contract for Origin they can't commit to another tier 1 nation. I mean look at Ponga he would've played for the Kiwis if he could

He can technically play for NZ but he wouldn’t be able to play Origin again after that. He isn’t ineligible for the Kiwis until he plays for Australia under the international rules.

It is highly unlikely it will ever happen but technically players like Taulagi, Nanai, Ponga and Fotuaika who have never played for Australia could still represent the kiwis if they give up ever playing Origin again.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

He can technically play for NZ but he wouldn’t be able to play Origin again after that. He isn’t ineligible for the Kiwis until he plays for Australia under the international rules.

It is highly unlikely it will ever happen but technically players like Taulagi, Nanai, Ponga and Fotuaika who have never played for Australia could still represent the kiwis if they give up ever playing Origin again.

That's a fair point 👌🏽 does playing 9s for Australia affect it tho? Because Ponga played 9s for aussie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojo said:

That's a fair point 👌🏽 does playing 9s for Australia affect it tho? Because Ponga played 9s for aussie

That's a very good point about Ponga that I hadn't considered, so I looked it up and as per paragraph (vii) of the eligibility rules 9s does count as electing for a nation.

"When a Player is named in a 19-player squad for a Nation (or is named in the final tournament squad for a 9s Competition) according to the Eligibility Rules, he/she is deemed to have elected to play for that Nation. For the avoidance of doubt selection for a domestic representative match or student international does not constitute a commitment to senior international rugby league for such Nation."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, UTK said:

That's a very good point about Ponga that I hadn't considered, so I looked it up and as per paragraph (vii) of the eligibility rules 9s does count as electing for a nation.

"When a Player is named in a 19-player squad for a Nation (or is named in the final tournament squad for a 9s Competition) according to the Eligibility Rules, he/she is deemed to have elected to play for that Nation. For the avoidance of doubt selection for a domestic representative match or student international does not constitute a commitment to senior international rugby league for such Nation."

Thanks for checking that one, UTK!

Ponga is an Aussie in RL terms then. No switching to the men in black, unless he goes across to the other code.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UTK said:

Thanks for that mate appreciate it 👌🏽

• Like 1

Apologies for being so definite, and then being wrong on Ponga.

The specifics of his case tie him to a Tier 1 nation, but I think the general point holds. Players not tied to Australia under international eligibility can theoretically play Origin and then give it up to play for England or the Kiwis.

One example I can think of is Chris McQueen who played one game for England under Wayne Bennett, and who is an outside chance of earning a recall for this World Cup.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I was just thinking, with the likes of Cobbo and Oates Not being selected in the Australia squad (at the moment) Would Bevan French be a chance at making the side. It would be a massive surprise but stranger things have happend.

If Coates and Cobbo are not in the train on squad then they are not going as Kangaroos (bar injury).

Suaalii and Addo-Carr and maybe Tualagi will be the wingers.  He may just take the first two knowing Holmes can play on the wing as well if needed.

Either way, I can't see French being under serious consideration. 

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I was just thinking, with the likes of Cobbo and Oates Not being selected in the Australia squad (at the moment) Would Bevan French be a chance at making the side. It would be a massive surprise but stranger things have happend.

Bevan French could score 50 tries in the SL and still wouldn't get picked for the aussies lol Cobbo still has a chance to make it. Holmes might end up playing for the Cook Islands. He said he won't make his decision until after the finals

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/09/16/australian-mens-prime-ministers-xiii-squad-announced-for-png-clash/

PMXII side for the game with PNG 

1. Daine Laurie (Wests Tigers)
  2. Josh Addo-Carr (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
  3. Selwyn Cobbo (Brisbane Broncos)
  4. Zac Lomax (St George Illawarra Dragons)
  5. Jojo Fifita (Gold Coast Titans)
  6. Matt Burton (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
  7. Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
  8. Tino Fa'ausaulameaui (Gold Coast Titans)
  9. Ben Hunt (St George Illawarra Dragons)
  10. Thomas Flegler (Brisbane Broncos)
  11. Nat Butcher (Sydney Roosters)
  12. Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters)
  13. Josh King (Melbourne Storm)
  14. Max King (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
  15. Beau Fermor (Gold Coast Titans)
  16. Jake Simpkin (Wests Tigers)
  17. Luke Garner (Wests Tigers)
  18. Josh Curran (Warriors)
  19. Jake Averillo (Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs)
  20. Sam Walker (Sydney Roosters)
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, UTK said:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/09/16/australian-mens-prime-ministers-xiii-squad-announced-for-png-clash/

No Suali'i or Payne Haas 👀 things just got more interesting lol

6 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Payne Haas is injured I believe but Suali'i not being there at all looks a bit suspicious especially when all the other roosters players are playing. Maybe I'm just over thinking it and hope he plays for Samoa 😂😂😂😂

David Fifita is the interesting one for me.

He has been named in the Australian train on squad and the Tonga extended squad.  And not named here to play against PNG.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Mojo said:

Bevan French could score 50 tries in the SL and still wouldn't get picked for the aussies lol Cobbo still has a chance to make it. Holmes might end up playing for the Cook Islands. He said he won't make his decision until after the finals

I’m not sure if there if there ever even has been a kangaroo from the super league unless Brian Bevan played a few games for Australia. But if there was any player who deserves to be selected it would be him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I’m not sure if there if there ever even has been a kangaroo from the super league unless Brian Bevan played a few games for Australia. But if there was any player who deserves to be selected it would be him.

If he was a prop he'll have a chance lol Mal's running out of quality props to choose from

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Darren Smith. 2003

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Would Suaalii have picked up a knock last weekend, or is he just being kept in cotton wool?

Noticeable omission, for sure. Great chance for young Cobbo to jump over him in the pecking order with a big game.

I can't see that happening.  Suaalii has been named in the Kangaroo train on squad and Cobbo hasn't.

The Aussies are usually pretty strict about this stuff.  The only way Suaalii could lose out (to say Cobbo or Coates) would be if he were ruled out of the World Cup with injury. 

That's not to say Suaalii is confirmed in the final squad (although with only 2 wingers named I think it is highly likely), just that it will definitely be Suaalii over Cobbo.

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I can't see that happening.  Suaalii has been named in the Kangaroo train on squad and Cobbo hasn't.

The Aussies are usually pretty strict about this stuff.  The only way Suaalii could lose out (to say Cobbo or Coates) would be if he were ruled out of the World Cup with injury. 

That's not to say Suaalii is confirmed in the final squad (although with only 2 wingers named I think it is highly likely), just that it will definitely be Suaalii over Cobbo.

Just saw the interview from Mal. He said Suali'i was overlooked for the PNG game but he's still in his plans for the world cup. And he has spoken to Haas and he's very keen to play for the kangaroos but there's a chance he might pull out of the World cup due to family reasons. This is all so strange. He also said Junior Paulo was in the kangaroos team and a week later Paulo came out and said he's playing for samoa lol Time will tell who's gonna play for who because nothing set in concrete until the player themselves says who they're playing for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UTK said:

They’ve nicked Max King as they read here he was on the verge of us selecting him ! Rotters 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

As likely as Dawn French making it I’d say 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

They’ve nicked Max King as they read here he was on the verge of us selecting him ! Rotters 

I know you are joking but this game won’t tie him to Australia will it as it’s not actually the Aussie team. 

• Like 1

Story on the SMH website suggesting Payne Haas might not make himself available for any WC squad due to family reasons.

https://www.watoday.com.au/sport/nrl/powerhouse-roos-prop-set-to-skip-world-cup-for-family-reasons-20220916-p5bis1.html (no pay wall here)

Edited by EastLondonMike

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

You're probably right, but I suppose we'll see before too long.

There seems to be an added air of uncertainty around the Aussie set-up this year, with the defections to Samoa, etc.

I can see one or two curve-balls being included in the 24 guys selected, due to pull outs and changes in allegiance. Suaalii does appear to be ahead of Cobbo, but I'm not quite ready to close the door on the Brisbane freakster just yet.

• Like 1